Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 PM
PCN

21 posts, read 51,079 times

Advertisements

The bar sounds like a winching anchor that some companies sell to get yourself out of a fix like that. Like you said, need to be careful using it.
I've been doing offroad expeditions for 22 years now and many have been in the winter with several in below zero conditions. I'm well equipped for winter weather. More concerned about locating enough firewood. Anyone have a local contact that might be interested in delivering a cord of wood to a WyTex property? Obliged for the help folks! Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:15 PM
PCN

21 posts, read 51,079 times
Is purchasing a cord of wood a problem in this part of the state?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 AM

59 posts, read 239,906 times
Heggie Logging & Equipment
2441 Fort Sanders Rd
Laramie, WY 82070
307-745-5325
This is who we contacted when we were at wy tex this summer. They put us on a list for next spring for a semi load of firewood. I've been wondering how many cord we'll burn per year. We live in WA now and burn 5 cords from Oct-March. We have 6 in of snow on the ground right now.
We'll be back in Wy in early spring if possible. Maybe we'll see you. We're wt 2-10. Where are you located?

Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
Be careful of that anchor it will fly out of the ground and I do mean fly. If the ground gives way when winching. I always put a coat or blanket over the winchline about halfway between the vehicle and the tree,anchor etc. I was told a tow chain will work draped over the winchline too, as it makes a hinging action with the line, I dunno that seems alittle dangerous. I even do this with my fourwheeler as there is really no protection here from harm of breaking cable or tree busting at anchor end.
On the wood. Don't set the stacks to close to the house or a wood building. Termites love dry pinewood,almost as much as your house! It was a hassle, but I was told to keep your wood stack at least 50 feet from the house. I have seen termites move in in just a summer after they got into the woodpile along the wall outside a house.
It is good for the temporary wood but not the major pile/piles to be beside the house. Also termites live in the ground, they just like to come out and eat the wood. And then just come on into the house.
Also watch the wood your carry in because the little critters will hop a ride in thatway too!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Don't set the stacks to close to the house or a wood building. Termites love dry pinewood,almost as much as your house! It was a hassle, but I was told to keep your wood stack at least 50 feet from the house. I have seen termites move in in just a summer after they got into the woodpile along the wall outside a house.
I must be missing something here ... Termites in WY? in the cold/dry climate of the WyTex region?

I've never seen termites in the higher elevations through the Nothern Rocky Mountain region.

Risk of termite infestation in Wyoming is listed as being "none to slight" by the termite institute, with the Arid Region Subterranean termite as the only one present in the state, mostly along a corridor by the Eastern plains area ... lower elevation areas. But you won't see "tenting" of houses with chemicals like you do in the SE or SW USA to periodically eliminate the critters.

Now, if you're seeking to protect your living trees from pine beetle infestation, that's a good reason to tarp firewood away from the house and landscaping for at least a year.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-18-2008 at 11:19 AM..

Old 12-18-2008, 01:27 PM

Hmm, not termites in Wyoming. I have seen houses in Casper,Riverton,Saratoga and Evanston. Yes with termites, the kind that burrow into wood and eat it. I moved into a rental house NW of Riverton and almost had to move out due to ongoing damage in 1981. We'd have the little piles of wood dust everywhere just a day after vacuming.
I have had freinds have to go to different lengths to get rid of them also. In the stated cities. Also stated, termites can/do live in the ground and move into wood if available.
I was just stating my experiences, ok.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:00 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Thanks for the update, shadowalker, on those towns.

As an active real estate buyer in the region since 1965, I've not seen any termite problems, and no measures taken to prevent or destroy them.

But if there's a localized problem area in the state, then folks would be well advised to have places inspected. Looking at the termite institute map, the WyTex ranch area appears to have minimal ... if any ... termite risk.

Actually, the WyTex ranch area appears to have little, if any, risk of anything there except for some well adapted wildlife .... We flew over this area coming back from Dubois awhile back, and even by remote Wyoming standards, this is "fly-over country".

Old 12-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Getting away from termites alittle. While I don't know the exact spot the wytex ranches properties are. I went with a co-worker in 1982 to get his 24 foot camp trailer north of the road between Wheatland Resivior #3 and Laramie peak. It was about a mile off the road on a trail He got snowed in during deer season and barely got out with his pickup. The camper sat there for all winter and we kept going up every other weekend until we got good road to the trailer, I think it was last of April. Well the camper looked real good except for the tires in dirt to axels on one side. I will never forget the scream his wife let out when she opened the door of the trailer. She put here face in her hands and turned away from the door. Her husband and I flew into that trailer, not knowing really what to expect. What we saw was, it seemed, hundreds of field mice scampering about. And it looked like somebody shot the place up with shotguns! I mean everything that wasn't metal had holes chewed in it. And the stink was unbelievable. We did get the trailer out.
His wife as far as I know, never did set foot in that trailer up to the day he sold it. And to this day she will not be the first to walk into the trailer under any conditions.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 30,513 times
Has any body in Wytex been contacted by Idaho power and Rocky Mountain Electric. I was sent a letter saying that they are running lines from Idaho to east Casper and are going to run within 2 miles of my Property while they are doing surveys. They are planning 1onn running about 1100 miles of cable and towers.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,746 times
Default available

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
i'd be very careful. Recently, up here in sheridan, there was 640 acres for sale. House, barn, sheds, and equipment. $34,000. Really sounded like a deal. Until......

The land is located at the end of 16 miles of unencumbered road. That means that it is not maintained by the county. During the winter, it's not plowed. So you end up with this lovely 640 acres that you'd better be at the house in october because you're not going to get out until april.

If you looked at the land, what time of year was it? Drive out to the same property at the end of january. Can you still get there? Are there school busses that run out there? I realize you may or may not have kids in school, but if a school bus runs out there, then it's incumbered road. In other words, the county maintains it
long story short, if the county maintains, great. If keeping the road up is up to the residents, is it worth another $600 a month just to keep your driveway open? Just food for thought.
do you know if that land is still available? It sounds like a place i once had and would like to get back to. Ght
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming