Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:30 AM

18 posts, read 57,637 times

Advertisements

Have you checked the Rocky Mountain Timberland website recently. The place is listed as seasonal access due to the winters in that area. It also appears covenents are not enforced--people live in camp trailers and have lots of interesting junk yard art in their yards. Some problems with access occurred this year and if the winters go back to being 40 below zero, 60 mph wind and 6 feet of snow, you might want to bring or buy a heavy truck with a snow plow.

The growing season is about 2 months long. It freezes into June and can start again in August. Most ranchers only grow hay.

There is little oil and gas in the area. There were two uranium mines, but both are currently closed. There is a coal mine at Hanna, west of the area.

It is surprising to read that people are retiring to this area. Most people in Wyoming seem to move away from the area when they retire due to the harsh winters, being 60 miles from medical care, 60 miles from shopping for groceries, etc. You must be a tough bunch of folks to be retiring at WyTex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 17,378 times
How would I find this property coming north from Denver? My wife and I will be visiting Denver soon and I would like to drive up to WyTex to visit my lot.
Also, could you give me the geo coordinates that would let me find it on google earth?

Old 08-18-2007, 01:10 PM

208 posts, read 909,700 times
Oh, come of J...! Only 16 miles?! That's the fun part in the wintertime! Of course, the first winter would be spent in the shop building the 4 Runner or Jeep crawler that would get us out in the coming winters.... and getting the snowmobiles in shape!

I'd love a place like that..... just have to make sure we're making all the $$ we need online before we try it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I'd be very careful. Recently, up here in Sheridan, there was 640 acres for sale. House, barn, sheds, and equipment. $34,000. really sounded like a deal. Until......

The land is located at the end of 16 miles of unencumbered road. That means that it is not maintained by the county. During the winter, it's not plowed. So you end up with this lovely 640 acres that you'd better be at the house in October because you're not going to get out until April.

If you looked at the land, what time of year was it? Drive out to the same property at the end of January. Can you still get there? Are there school busses that run out there? I realize you may or may not have kids in school, but if a school bus runs out there, then it's incumbered road. In other words, the county maintains it.

Long story short, if the county maintains, great. If keeping the road up is up to the residents, is it worth another $600 a month just to keep your driveway open? Just food for thought.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lak supply View Post
Oh, come of J...! Only 16 miles?! That's the fun part in the wintertime! Of course, the first winter would be spent in the shop building the 4 Runner or Jeep crawler that would get us out in the coming winters.... and getting the snowmobiles in shape!

I'd love a place like that..... just have to make sure we're making all the $$ we need online before we try it!!
haha I wouldn't mind it but for those that are faint at heart should avoid it. Or at least look into it.

Back in 72 we drove snowmobiles to work because pickup trucks weren't going to get us there.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:31 PM

208 posts, read 909,700 times
Quote:
haha I wouldn't mind it but for those that are faint at heart should avoid it. Or at least look into it.

Back in 72 we drove snowmobiles to work because pickup trucks weren't going to get us there.
Yeeah! That's what I'm talkin' about!!!!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPerson626 View Post
How would I find this property coming north from Denver? My wife and I will be visiting Denver soon and I would like to drive up to WyTex to visit my lot.
Also, could you give me the geo coordinates that would let me find it on google earth?
I'm not sure if this is the exact spot, but try this link. It will get you into the ballpark:

medicine bow, wy - Google Maps

As far as getting to the area from Denver, travel north on I-25 to Cheyenne, WY, then head West on I-80 to Laramie. From Laramie, take 30/287 North Toward Bosler. Continue past Bosler, on up to Medicine Bow (about 60 miles from Laramie). In Medicine Bow, you will want to catch 487 North about 2 miles to Marshall Rd. Head East about 6 to 10 miles, and you'll be in the general area. Overall, you will be traveling a little bit over 200 miles to get there from Denver. Cheyenne is about the half way point along the route I suggested. It may be easier to take 287 from Ft. Collins, CO. to Laramie, WY., but since I've never driven that road, I didn't want to suggest it at this point.

The location shown in the link above is about 8 miles from 487, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know the exact location of Wytex Ranch, but according to the RMT website, some of the properties are along Greasewood Creek, which is the one shown in the image that is linked above. I selected that part of the creek because the pond shown looked similar to the one pictured on the Wytex Ranch map I found on the RMT website at this link:

http://www.rockymountaintimberlands....es/2098.lg.jpg

I hope this helps, at least a little bit. For more information, you may be able to contact the RMT representative in Wheatland, WY. His name is Bob Whitman, and I can supply contact info if you want it.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 AM

When I was driving truck, 287 from Ft. Collins to Laramie was the best choice. Good road and no hard pulls like going over Lincoln. You save about 30 miles.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
You might want to get directions from your agent or call one of the others on google.

I used to live down in that area so I was playing around trying to find it. Wytex has two developements. One is by Rock River and the other is North of Medicine Bow.

But, Rock River is just down the road a few miles from Medicine Bow.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Wytex has two developements. One is by Rock River and the other is North of Medicine Bow.

But, Rock River is just down the road a few miles from Medicine Bow.
In my earlier post, I gave directions to the part of Wytex Ranch that is in the area of the properties currently being offered. I used the RMT website to find the general area, then searched Google maps to try to pinpoint the location of the property shown. I don't think it's exact, but it's pretty close.

As for the other development of Wytex Ranch, I can't make any suggestion, since I don't think it's shown on the website at the moment (probably because it has sold out). As jgussler pointed out, both Medicine Bow and Rock River are pretty close, being only about 20 miles apart. I believe all the ranch properties offered by RMT as part of Wytex Ranch are all north of these towns, though I have no idea how far north they are.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:38 AM

18 posts, read 57,637 times
Quote:
If you follow the directions to Medicine Bow, the Marshall road turns off to the right about two miles north of Medicine Bow and you will need to follow it for about 20 to 25 miles. There is a hand lettered well-worn sign that says WyTex ranches and about 6 or 8 mailboxes. The road turns to the right. The road then runs about 6 miles and turns into the WyTex ranches (again to the right) and there is a sign there also. If you know what section you have, I can give you better directions. After you are in the ranches, some of the roads are gravel, some dirt and many dead end. The RMT sight has some maps and Bob Whitman will too. All lots have survey markers so if you can get close to the right area, you'll be able to find the lot.

I'm not sure about the references to areas "near Rock River". Real Estate agents call 25 miles away "near" so it's hard to say. Again, if you know what parcel you have, directions can be given more specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming