Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:16 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,659,601 times

Advertisements

So I've been researching cities and towns in WY. It seems to me, that if you start in the lower right corner (lets say Cheyenne)...the cost of living there is relatively low. And as you head north and west (towards that golden little prize in the upper left corner and it's iconic mountain neighbors ), the cost of living steadily rises. (There are some exceptions...like Thermopolis...pretty close, as the crow flies, to the northwest corner, but yet still pretty far in driving distance).
You folks that live in WY...is that a pretty fair assumption, or rule of thumb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 05:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Well, kind of. haha

High Prairie, like Hanna, Elmo, Medicine Bow, Wheatland, Torrington, and such, tend to be cheaper.

Then, you have high prairie, but a reason for higher prices. Cheyenne, convienence to shopping, Denver, Fort collins, etc. Gillette, boom town, same with Casper. Laramie, college town, convienence to shopping, Denver, Fort Collins, etc. Rawlins, Green River, Rock Springs.

Then you have the scenic places. Casper, Sheridan, Buffalo, Cody, Lander, etc. If not right at the edge of the mountains, certainly close.

Then you have the McMansions. Jackson. Sure, you can get a decent Lot in town, won't run but a mil or two.

It just so happens, that when you lay out the state like you did, yes, it seems as if you hit it. But look into towns like Greybull, Thermopolis, Frannie, Powell, Kaycee, Powell, Lovell, Meeteetse, Ten Sleep, Shoshoni. What's their story?

Old 03-03-2008, 06:23 PM

269 posts, read 829,341 times
jin- wyoming is like a smorgus board- pay once and eat all you want. We have anything you want- high prarie where the sage grouse dance-brushy draws where the plums grow wild- rivers that run wild in the spring- and beauty beyond your emagination-and it"s all free! Come and enjoy! Great people too! Thats priceless.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 PM

hey elk...
I think Thermopolis has the relatively low cost of living that it does because you can't get anywhere fast from there. It's pretty inconvenient to just about everywhere because of the way the roads run, right? I wonder, too, if folks just don't want to live right up against the reservation? And Meeteetse, well...wait, I blinked...was there a town there?

and wyoman...
thanks. Yeah, it seems like a win-win proposition when ya put it like that!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:29 PM

50 posts, read 169,283 times
Don't blink going by Meeteetse, they have an awesome burger. Worth the drive.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamir View Post
Don't blink going by Meeteetse, they have an awesome burger. Worth the drive.
I gotta admit, we were on our way from one back-country campsite to another when we passed through. And my gut was in poor condition.
What's the name of the place? Next time!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:56 PM

The Elk Horn...right next to the Cowboy bar

Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 PM

264 posts, read 1,093,975 times
I hear there's no middle class in Jackson. All the billionaire's run the millionaire's out of town or something?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:31 AM

I was so disappointed in Jackson. The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar had no cowboys...all city dudes with silk shirts, gold chains, perfect doo's and manicures.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamir View Post
I was so disappointed in Jackson. The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar had no cowboys...all city dudes with silk shirts, gold chains, perfect doo's and manicures.
maybe that's what a million dollar cowboy looks like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming