Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 05:57 PM

180 posts, read 215,288 times

Advertisements

I'm back again! I'm sure none of you remember me though. lol

So. I graduated with my Associates Degree in Geosciences last May and I believe working as a Park Ranger in a State or National Park is what I want to do with my life. I would also be continuing my education to obtain my Bachelors.

I want to work outside in the weather - good and bad. I want to move around, I want to see and be in nature and I want to help others do the same.

Over on USAjobs.gov I see numerous openings for Rangers - but the big thing for me is where. That's why I'm asking you fine folks!

I'm a Libertarian - I like my guns and my property/privacy/space. I would be looking to rent a place to live, no mortgage or anything like that. I also enjoy fishing. Park Rangers look to make right around $25k/yr (assuming I could get hired on) starting out. I own my car, though it might not be the best for the kind of area I'd like to live in.

I'm just not sure about location (where to look for jobs) - I've never been farther west than... Ft. Hood in Texas. But I want to be somewhere out west with some elevation. I love snow - but I'm not a skiier or anything like that - just like being around/in it. I don't like hot and humid (Louisiana is an absolute ****hole to me - so was Texas).

I don't really do nightlife or require those kinds of amenities - but faster internet is to be cherished!

What National or State Parks are in these areas that you could think of? What areas do you think I should check out on USAJobs? The perfect situation for me would be something that's going to hire in a few months and I'd know before moving out - that way I could save some money and find a place to live. Do they do that kind of thing when hiring Federally/State?

I'm sorry this is so disjointed - I'm just at the point in my life where I need to make a change. I don't have much money saved up (currently part-time job and living with my folks while I attended school) so that's another reason why it'd be great if I could get hired on to a position that wasn't needing filled for a few months.

Thank you all for helping me take the next step in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 06:27 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
A little reality to interject....

You probably won't be allowed to have any personal firearms with you "on the job", and a *lot* of ranger positions are housed in the parks. It's also very funny that you value privacy and yet want to work for the Gov (they're going to know more about you than about any private individual)... Taking the assumption that you're living in whatever Park, you're probably not going to have much in the way of internet, including cell service (thought that will depend entirely on the park).

I'm not saying any of that to dissuade you, more to try and adjust perception with reality. Most Gov positions reward you for moving around, doing different things. Buying a house is not the best idea up front and the First place you go will only be for a short time (most likely a season). Heck, most of the Rangers I know tend to work 2~3 parks every year.

I think you would be better served with an open attitude. You're young, can deal with a Whole lot more discomfort than someone 20 or 40 years your senior. Cast out and take what comes your way. I encouraged my wife to do the same (she was a Gov employee dolling out drugs to Indians, we went from GA to northern AZ, central WY and all over AK), and things worked out in the long run. Lots of adventure, great life stories and lots of stunning handmade art in our house too. Point is, take what's available. You're going to be low man on the pole for several years while you prove yourself. Don't worry about your "ideal end of life" location right now.

As for getting hired? Don't be too picky, like I said above you'll be moving on before too long anyway and probably won't need much money anyway.

If you really want to stay in one spot, then you should look for STATE park ranger positions. You'll still have to move a little, but within the confines of one state is a whole lot easier and usually you can land a "forever" job after a couple of moves (my brother-in-law took this route).

Old 03-29-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
A little reality to interject....

You probably won't be allowed to have any personal firearms with you "on the job", and a *lot* of ranger positions are housed in the parks. It's also very funny that you value privacy and yet want to work for the Gov (they're going to know more about you than about any private individual)... Taking the assumption that you're living in whatever Park, you're probably not going to have much in the way of internet, including cell service (thought that will depend entirely on the park).

I'm not saying any of that to dissuade you, more to try and adjust perception with reality. Most Gov positions reward you for moving around, doing different things. Buying a house is not the best idea up front and the First place you go will only be for a short time (most likely a season). Heck, most of the Rangers I know tend to work 2~3 parks every year.

I think you would be better served with an open attitude. You're young, can deal with a Whole lot more discomfort than someone 20 or 40 years your senior. Cast out and take what comes your way. I encouraged my wife to do the same (she was a Gov employee dolling out drugs to Indians, we went from GA to northern AZ, central WY and all over AK), and things worked out in the long run. Lots of adventure, great life stories and lots of stunning handmade art in our house too. Point is, take what's available. You're going to be low man on the pole for several years while you prove yourself. Don't worry about your "ideal end of life" location right now.

As for getting hired? Don't be too picky, like I said above you'll be moving on before too long anyway and probably won't need much money anyway.

If you really want to stay in one spot, then you should look for STATE park ranger positions. You'll still have to move a little, but within the confines of one state is a whole lot easier and usually you can land a "forever" job after a couple of moves (my brother-in-law took this route).
I don't really have a desire to have a gun on the job. I'm a disabled Army Vet - I figure my disability would preclude me from the LE aspect of a Ranger position anyway. There are Ranger positions that do not include LE aspects.

I want to work for the Gov simply because I've already got TIS with the Army towards retirement as well as a lot of Veterans Preference points to go with an application.

My credit is currently pretty bad so mortgages and the like are out of the question - that's why I'm not looking for houses, but rental places.

As for the getting hired bit, I'm just trying to narrow down places to look. For instance, look at this job posting: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/465265300/

The locations I might be interested in are:

Spoiler
  • MANY vacancies - Canon City, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Craig, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Dolores, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Durango, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Grand Junction, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Gunnison, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Kremmling, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Meeker, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Monte Vista, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Montrose, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Silt, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Silverton, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Boise, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Burley, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Challis, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Coeur d'Alene, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Cottonwood, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Idaho Falls, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Marsing, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Pocatello, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Salmon, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Shoshone, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Twin Falls, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Billings, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Butte, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Dillon, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Ennis, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Fort Benton, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Helena, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Lewistown, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Malta, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Miles City, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Pompeys Pillar, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Wolf Creek, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Big Water, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Cannonville, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Cedar City, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Escalante, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Fillmore, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Hanksville, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Kanab, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Moab, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Monticello, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Price, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Richfield, UT
  • MANY vacancies - West Valley City, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Buffalo, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Casper, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Cody, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Kemmerer, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Lander, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Pinedale, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Rawlins, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Rock Springs, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Worland, WY
That's why I'm here - to try and take that above list and narrow it down.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:02 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Okay, with USAjobs listings the Vast majority are simply collecting resumes with no real open position to back up the posting. We've been trying to get west again for awhile and I'm not sure if there's been one Actual job opening among the dozens of posting on USAJobs.

So, the advice still stands, apply for them all and take the first one that appeals to you. It won't be the last place you go.

From that list, CO ranks low (it's politically a blue state thanks to California East, AKA the Front Range ~ thought the rural areas are very much red in action and belief), but I know 90% of those towns and I'd be more than happy to live in any of them. We're pretty similar politically and I'm a fellow firearms enthusiast, though I bend heavily towards precision target shooting. I can tell you that Lander, WY is an Amazing place to live... that's where I was born and raised. My wife and I are flying out to Monte Vista, CO to look for a house there in the next month.

For your credit issue, the single best thing you can do is get some positive reports. When I was tackling this issue myself, I got a secured bank loan (gave them the money, they put it in a CD and "loaned" me the same sum back and I then made monthly payments). Doing that for about 18 months drug me from 500's into 700's... well, I disputed every negative and tried to settle what weren't removed too.

Best of luck.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:45 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Given your income potential, I'd be asking which of those sites provide park housing for its ranger staff. If its a park, its an attraction, which means it is in a tourist dependant area, which may mean potentially high rental prices.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:31 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
I don't really have a desire to have a gun on the job. I'm a disabled Army Vet - I figure my disability would preclude me from the LE aspect of a Ranger position anyway. There are Ranger positions that do not include LE aspects.

I want to work for the Gov simply because I've already got TIS with the Army towards retirement as well as a lot of Veterans Preference points to go with an application.

My credit is currently pretty bad so mortgages and the like are out of the question - that's why I'm not looking for houses, but rental places.

As for the getting hired bit, I'm just trying to narrow down places to look. For instance, look at this job posting: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/465265300/

The locations I might be interested in are:

Spoiler
  • MANY vacancies - Canon City, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Craig, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Dolores, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Durango, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Grand Junction, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Gunnison, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Kremmling, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Meeker, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Monte Vista, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Montrose, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Silt, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Silverton, CO
  • MANY vacancies - Boise, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Burley, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Challis, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Coeur d'Alene, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Cottonwood, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Idaho Falls, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Marsing, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Pocatello, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Salmon, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Shoshone, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Twin Falls, ID
  • MANY vacancies - Billings, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Butte, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Dillon, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Ennis, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Fort Benton, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Helena, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Lewistown, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Malta, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Miles City, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Pompeys Pillar, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Wolf Creek, MT
  • MANY vacancies - Big Water, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Cannonville, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Cedar City, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Escalante, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Fillmore, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Hanksville, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Kanab, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Moab, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Monticello, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Price, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Richfield, UT
  • MANY vacancies - West Valley City, UT
  • MANY vacancies - Buffalo, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Casper, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Cody, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Kemmerer, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Lander, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Pinedale, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Rawlins, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Rock Springs, WY
  • MANY vacancies - Worland, WY
That's why I'm here - to try and take that above list and narrow it down.
How small of a town are you willing to go to? Some of those Montana and Wyoming towns are the definition of Podunk.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
How small of a town are you willing to go to? Some of those Montana and Wyoming towns are the definition of Podunk.
Well, I grew up in a town of less than 1000 (Beverly) and the closest city is about 12k. So I'm used to podunk/rural.

But I think I'd like to hit up somewhere no less than 5k people-ish.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:15 PM

8,500 posts, read 8,794,511 times
I'd apply to as many as possible but if you want a town over 5,000 I'd prioritize Craig & Montrose CO, Salmon ID (town is a little short of that but feels larger and is if you consider the folks in county), Dillon MT (same deal), Buffalo, Cody, Lander and Pinedale WY. Pinedale is small too but pretty happening & nice for so small.

I remember you. Get after it and good luck.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-31-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 07:50 AM

99 posts, read 149,259 times
Not my situation, but my cousin.

15 year retired Army vet
Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice
Extensive clearance vetting

He has been trying to get nearly ANY BLM/Forest Service ranger type job for the past three years. They simply aren't hiring. He takes whatever temporary office job he can just to stay in the agency and have a better shot when a job does open.

My personal experience comes from working with the federal firefighting crews and several close friends who played the park ranger game. There are jobs, but the wages are essentially unlivable unless you are given housing. Benefits are poor, and 90% of them are temporary jobs which shut down just before they would have to give you perks like insurance.

On the Game and Fish side, it is extremely competitive. Most of the recruiters will tell you that unless you have at least a bachelors degree in range management, ecology, or some other biological field of study, don't both applying. Even with that, the job pay is minimal. Right now they are looking for summer help to man check points looking for invasive aquatic species on boats, but that will only last a few months. Usually targeted toward college kids on break.

Certainly don't want to dissuade you, but I was at one time thinking along the same lines as you. With thoughts turning toward a spouse and family, these jobs seem almost impossible.

If you have any experience with technology, look up USA jobs for WAPA (Western Area Power Authority). They hire quite a bit, pay a great wage, and give preference to veterans since they are a federal agency. I know a bunch of WAPA folks, and it seems like a sweet gig.

Good luck,

Old 04-01-2017, 09:44 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
got a cousin and her husband work in Yellowstone for the park service.... they clean the restroom.... not fun after a bus full of foreign tourist whom won't set on the seats....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming