Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,668 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Kansas. Small town of 500 people.

I may possibly be offered a job there. I will be headed there in a few days for another interview. The job is offering around $25 an hour plus benefits. However, looking at the rent it is astronomical. Plus we have a cat and dog. Almost no one allows for them. What are the good side and bad sides of town?

I have a wife and two kids. Both vehicles are only 2wd. I own my home so would have to sell it. My wife has always been a homemaker and we wish for that to continue, but have accepted the idea that she will have to work for a little while. But we dont want it to be a permanent thing.

We are looking for something different, but can a person make it there for that much? We want this to be a blessing, not a curse. I am a little overwhelmed at the moment.

Just need some local advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,233,997 times
You're on the right track for a decision with a trip out to Laramie.

Take the time to check out the housing options that appeal to you. If you've got equity coming out of your KS residence, you might consider spending time with a real estate agent to show you what your $50k/year job would buy in the area. IIRC, your income level is close to the "average" income of the area, so you may have a lot of housing buy choices in the area. Laramie encompasses a wide range of housing so let a pro show you around rather than guessing at what's there.

If your cars are FWD, you will do just fine for getting around in the metro area in most circumstances. It's rare that deep snow on city streets will be a driving concern, but black ice slick streets and roadways can present to be the driving challenge. On those days when "travel is not advised" or I-80 is shut down ... it's prudent for all vehicles to not travel until the conditions improve. If you've been able to travel in KS winters with your cars, you'll likely be able to do the same in Laramie. Good snow tires can be a plus on your cars for the winter driving season.

Perhaps your prospective employer has connections to housing options and can help guide you in your relocation?

Whether or not your income would be satisfactory for your lifestyle is a huge variable that only you can determine. Visit and check out what is important to you for recreation, entertainment, shopping, medical services, schools, and community.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:11 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,435,164 times
FWIW, before the housing burst in 2009, $20k/year was enough to cover basic expenses in Lander, WY (mortgage, utilities, food, vehicle tags/insurance, personal insurance, etc...) but left nothing for "fun", or other bills (student loans, car loans, other debts). I don't think we could have covered rent, which was about double our mortgage, on that same income. Obviously, you need to have a little money to spend if you want to Buy a house, but it is cheaper month to month almost everywhere rural.

As for the vehicles, sunsprit covered it ~ if you've been able to get around in Kansas winters, you'll only really find the Very rare day or two in WY that's substantially worse. Buy, and use, good snow/winter tires ~ we were able to go all over the region in our Jetta and managed to get stuck once in about 120k miles (parents ski cabin, unplowed uphill drive with about 6" of snow... car has a 4" ground clearance and a big, flat skid plate).

My wife and I are looking at a similar uncertain move with potential Drastic loss of income (but equal or greater gain in quality of life). In our struggle, we've come across a few studies that show that an overwhelming number of people who think they would be happier after making a change, actually Are happier after that change. A lot of it may simply be internal, but how do you differentiate between internal and external sources of happiness? And does it Matter?

Good luck with the decision, I know it's a hard one.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:19 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,352,479 times
Sure, c'mon in. Lots'of people movin here last I've seen. Y'know 'global-warming' has done away with the traditional winters Wyoming was once known for.

Our doors are WFO to urban-sprawl. More taxpayers means more money in the coffins...er...COFFERS, I meant to say...lol (little 'fraudian-slip' there)

Hope you know how to drive with a heavy-foot, though...or all the tweaked-out fracker's/semi-truck drivers and kiddo's driving modified/EGR-deleted turbo-diesels will have ZERO mercy for you...and Laramie has alot of that, due to the diesel/mechanics school right outside of town...

...those kids know ALL about livin' the 'Fast-And-Furiosa' lifestyle...lol

Old 05-04-2017, 10:35 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,287,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Sure, c'mon in. Lots'of people movin here last I've seen. Y'know 'global-warming' has done away with the traditional winters Wyoming was once known for.

Our doors are WFO to urban-sprawl. More taxpayers means more money in the coffins...er...COFFERS, I meant to say...lol (little 'fraudian-slip' there)

Hope you know how to drive with a heavy-foot, though...or all the tweaked-out fracker's/semi-truck drivers and kiddo's driving modified/EGR-deleted turbo-diesels will have ZERO mercy for you...and Laramie has alot of that, due to the diesel/mechanics school right outside of town...

...those kids know ALL about livin' the 'Fast-And-Furiosa' lifestyle...lol

And especially watch out for the doped up Rastafarians on vacation.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:38 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,352,479 times
And especially watch out for the doped up Rastafarians on vacation.

INDEED ! !

Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the replies. We visited and may accept the job. The biggest hurdle we see so far is the lack of rentals that allow pets. That, and all the rentals are apartments. Living in the country and in a house vs. moving in the city and dealing with a lifestyle similar to conjoined twins is going to be a culture shock.

We always figured there would be more spacious options.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,842,770 times
Yes

Old 05-09-2017, 11:37 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,233,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanhumter View Post
Thanks for the replies. We visited and may accept the job. The biggest hurdle we see so far is the lack of rentals that allow pets. That, and all the rentals are apartments. Living in the country and in a house vs. moving in the city and dealing with a lifestyle similar to conjoined twins is going to be a culture shock.

We always figured there would be more spacious options.
Did you visit with any real estate agencies re buying a house here?

Old 05-10-2017, 07:32 AM

Sunspirit, we talked to a couple about rentals, but not purchasing a house. We will not do that for at least a year or two, in order to give us a time to adjust and get to know what areas we would like to live long term.

I would hate to be stuck with owning a home in a neighborhood we dont like, a job we dont like, or a climate we hate.

Currently, the home we own in Kansas will be our storage until we decide to buy. I have a wood shop full of woodworking tools, a welder, and a few other items. So I am going to have to make sure my home in Wyoming will be big enough to support that. I am willing to downsize my wood shop into a two car garage, but not much below that.

Like I said, this whole move is going to be a culture shock to us. I hope we like the area enough to outweigh the negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming