Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 06:28 PM

37 posts, read 59,180 times

Advertisements

I originally posted inquiring about Yellowstone, but it looks like I will be taking the Cheyenne to SLC route instead for my moving trip from Houston to Seattle.

This is going to be the most vague tourist question ever so my apologies in advance. I will be posting this in multiple places that will along the way.

We will have our four year old son with us. Are the there any "must do" sites and restaurants in the Cheyenne/southern Wyoming area? Will be going east to west across the state right into Utah. Also looking for a good hotel in the Cheyenne area.

For restaurant's, I am looking a good burger and bbq joint. Something that is local if you know what I mean.

Also, any historical sites and good places for a four year old to play along the route I mentioned? I Don't need anything as big as a Six Flags. Just something local and fun .

Thank you

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 07:59 PM

26 posts, read 34,188 times
East of Laramie, right off 80, Vedauwoo is an excellent place for kids to run around. Gorgeous rock formations and good trails.

In Laramie, Born in a Barn has good burgers: Born in a barn, and I've heard great things about the Chuck Wagon since the new owners took over (although I haven't been there yet myself): Chuck Wagon Restaurant. You can't go wrong at the Cavalryman: Cavalryman Steakhouse | Celebrate the Real Wyoming

Also in Laramie, the Territorial Prison is fun for kids: Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site – Laramie, WY.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
If you're coming up I-25 from Denver, take 287 from Fort Collins to Laramie. Pretty drive, shaves off a few miles.

Sorry, can't help with the food places. I've wanted to go through the Territorial Prison, but the couple times I tried the place was closed. (Winter time.)

Too bad you can't do Yellowstone. This time.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If you have the time... (extra hour or 2)

Take Snowy Range from Centennial to Saratoga, and take a dip in the Hot Springs. Some good places to eat in Saratoga. ('better' than I-80)

Really is quite spectacular compared to I-80 (and basically on your way)
https://www.google.com/search?q=snow...rJDSUQ_AUICygC

I too prefer 287 rather than Cheyenne to Laramie via I-80. Vedauwoo (you will miss that) is great (but rock climbing better for a 14 yr old, than a 4 yr old) Come back later and often!

Our kids MOST remember their trips through WY in the VW Westy Camper Van. No AC, so they each got squirt guns and the 'onboard' sink was very useful!. Especially nice when they would drench the driver on the back of the head and neck

We usually stopped at Ft Bridger (SW WY on I-80) to let the kids RUN while the driver napped under a tree.

Little America for Twist Ice Cream cones (no longer $0.25)

Enjoy the journey, count the mile-markers! about 400 of them... 1, 2, ...

Old 06-05-2017, 11:17 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
If you're driving more than a passenger vehicle/towing a rig ... diversions from the I-80 route will be more difficult driving although they present more scenic opportunities. So if time and distance are priorities, stay on the Interstate routes.

Alternatively, if you have the time, taking side routes such as the trip from Laramie to Saratoga is much more scenic but a slower route. Decent dining in Saratoga and the "hobo" pool at the hot springs is free (with locker rooms/showers, too) but not necessarily an attraction for a 4-year old. There is a smaller pool adjacent to the big one that is kept to a cooler temp more comfortable for the youngsters. You'd rejoin I-80 by heading north out of Saratoga so it's not terribly far out of your way distance-wise, but will add hours to your journey through Wyoming.

A "good hotel" in Cheyenne ... Luxury Inn, Fairfield Inn. Little America, right off the highway, is OK. An Historic Hotel in Downtown Cheyenne, The Plains ... extensively remodeled about 10 years ago, updated; not sure of the rates, but I saw some of the lodging then and the rooms were huge suites targeted to longer term stays of the travelers of yesteryear via the railroad.

On Dell Range Ave, try "Two Doors Down" for a burger. Otherwise, Poor Richard's, Little America, or the Chophouse for a bit more upscale.

Sorry, but dining options beyond typical franchise fast food burger joints along the I-80 corridor are quite limited in Wyoming. Anong's in Laramie is passable, Rose's Cafe in Rawlins (but only open for breakfast/lunch) passable.

If you have the time, the Vedauwoo area is worth a stop ... although I prefer to access it from the Happy Jack Road into the Cheyenne parks areas. From the top of the pass at the Lincoln Memorial, head back Eastward a few miles to the signage for the park areas. You'd have access to the day use campgrounds/hiking/scenery there which I think would be of more interest to a 4-year old than the rock climbing areas up that way.

The Laramie Prison is an interesting bit of history. Again, worth a stop only if you've got the time ... allow at least an hour or two for this stop. Old Town downtown Laramie only minutes away with several passable restaurants ... but nothing that I'd call a "must" stop location.

Heading West past Rawlins, there's nothing on this stretch of the I-80 corridor that is a "must see". The towns you'll pass an hour and change apart are functional for fuel/rest stops, but that's about all. Frankly, the more interesting scenic or tourist attractions of Wyoming aren't along this route but some distance away from it. You've got 360 miles to grind out heading West from Cheyenne to reach the state line on your drive to SLC. With a full tank of fuel leaving Cheyenne, my usual stop on this drive is the Wal-Mart in Rock Springs ... just off the highway ... for fuel and a break. I usually allow 6 hours of road time for Cheyenne to SLC which allows for that fuel stop and a couple of stretches along the route.

Use your mobile to check out fuel prices via GasBuddy or similar sites enroute. You may find some significant differences along the route ... for example, Cheyenne may be more expensive than Laramie. You'd head over the pass with a nominal amount of fuel and top up then in Laramie. Similarly, Evanston may be less expensive than SLC ... although I've found some very good promo's in SLC at the grocery chains that also have gas pumps. Sometimes all you need is a minimal purchase at the grocery store (cold drinks, snacks, etc) to qualify for a 10cents/gallon fuel discount at the pump.

Watch your speed on the I-80 descent down Parley's Canyon in Utah. Seems like every time I've driven that, it's quite the derby in progress. Sometimes UHP is out there tagging folk, sometimes not. Don't be surprised if some folk are diving through traffic at 90-100 mph even with the curves of the highway.

PS: the 287 route from Ft Collins to Laramie is a bit more scenic than the I-25 north route and will cut a few miles off your trip. Lodging in Laramie is functional and reasonably priced being a college town in the summer months, nothing special here. Dining a noted above, Anong's is about the best place in town ... next to the natural grocery coop store, perhaps worth a stop for snacks or such items.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:03 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Bear River State Park in Evanston has pastures with bison and elk. Not much else to entertain a four year old there but if you need a stop in Evantson that could double as a bathroom break.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:25 AM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
When do you plan to travel?

If you travel through Cheyenne during Frontier Days you may not find a room, also work around Jubilee Days in Laramie. Both different weeks in July.

Call ahead wherever you plan to stay to see if there is lodging available, and book it then.

Another vote for Veedauwoo with a 4 year old, rocks to slide on, trails to wander - no services (though there are toilets now). Take a picnic if possible in case you decide to stay for hours.

Not the Territorial Prison for child's sake. It would be so boring for him at that age....

With a child I too would suggest Born in a Barn in Laramie. One of the few options for eating in an outdoor area as well (enclosed - so safe for a child). Since you will be traveling a long while I would choose being outside every chance got!

UW Geological museum has dinosaurs, kids love it Geological Museum | Geology & Geophysics | University of Wyoming

Old 06-07-2017, 03:44 PM

26 posts, read 34,188 times
Oh, yes! Simplepeace is absolutely right - UW Geological museum is a great idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming