Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 07:12 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times

Advertisements

Nothing personal...I did'nt 'mean' to snap...but it's just that lately (more than ever) we have SO many darn transplants who literally go OUT of thier way to advertise the whole "We're here and' we're SO proud to be living-the-wyoming-lifestyle ! ! yadda yadda yadda" and they got the camo-paint-job on thier Cadillac-Escalade or EGR-deleted Powerstroke F-450 with the 5" open-pipes and the obligatory super-mudder camo-tires, and they're wearin' the His & Her matching camo/Mossy-Oak hunting-pants, the camo long-sleeve under-armor 'athletic/mountain-man/extreme cross-country runner' clothing, camo-bog-boots, camo ball-cap, packin' the flat/matte-camo-painted rifle...

...and of course they got the obligatory $25k spoiled/overweight back-yard ponies (or 'goat/alpaca-herd') in thier 3 acre pre-fab 'ranch' parcel along with the rest of the obligatory toys (THE fishing-boat, THE utv/Polaris Razer, THE Jeep, THE Harley, THE riding lawn mower)...

It gets tedious...it really does. They come here to 'get away from it all and 'be different'...and end up bringing it ALL WITH them, and looking just like everyone else who did the same.

Yes I'm probably going off on a rant here, I DO sincerely apologize...but it really DOES seem as if the 'urbanite-clones' are coming off an assembly-line like that, these days...pouring into Wyoming the way they are...to 'LIVE THE WYOMING LIFESTYLE'...

...and then 3 or 4 yrs later, the 'realization' suddenly sets-in "Uhm....HONEY ? we're kinda/sorta 'hemmoraging' money here ?" and THEN come to find out what thier house/property is worth, during a 'bust' economy and CAN'T get out, even if thier lives DEPENDED on it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 07:37 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Nothing personal...I did'nt 'mean' to snap...but it's just that lately (more than ever) we have SO many darn transplants who literally go OUT of thier way to advertise the whole "We're here and' we're SO proud to be living-the-wyoming-lifestyle ! ! yadda yadda yadda" and they got the camo-paint-job on thier Cadillac-Escalade or EGR-deleted Powerstroke F-450 with the 5" open-pipes and the obligatory super-mudder camo-tires, and they're wearin' the His & Her matching camo/Mossy-Oak hunting-pants, the camo long-sleeve under-armor 'athletic/mountain-man/extreme cross-country runner' clothing, camo-bog-boots, camo ball-cap, packin' the flat/matte-camo-painted rifle...

...and of course they got the obligatory $25k spoiled/overweight back-yard ponies (or 'goat/alpaca-herd') in thier 3 acre pre-fab 'ranch' parcel along with the rest of the obligatory toys (THE fishing-boat, THE utv/Polaris Razer, THE Jeep, THE Harley, THE riding lawn mower)...

It gets tedious...it really does. They come here to 'get away from it all and 'be different'...and end up bringing it ALL WITH them, and looking just like everyone else who did the same.

Yes I'm probably going off on a rant here, I DO sincerely apologize...but it really DOES seem as if the 'urbanite-clones' are coming off an assembly-line like that, these days...pouring into Wyoming the way they are...to 'LIVE THE WYOMING LIFESTYLE'...

...and then 3 or 4 yrs later, the 'realization' suddenly sets-in "Uhm....HONEY ? we're kinda/sorta 'hemmoraging' money here ?" and THEN come to find out what thier house/property is worth, during a 'bust' economy and CAN'T get out, even if thier lives DEPENDED on it...
Totally understand, in fact, so much that I'll tell you this:

I use to go to a jackpot team roping arena in Norco, California. I knew the owner and he was with PRCA (team and calf). Use to go to a nice/friendly café there called the Cowgirl. A lot of the locals would eat breakfast there. Wife and I went there a number of times. Western Horseman Magazine actually done an article on "Horse Town" (Norco). The article was named Horse Town. No sidewalks, only a dirt path on both sides of Main Street for riding horses. A nice Western/Tack store as well and one of the nicest pursed rodeo's in the California Circuit.

So, what happened? An influx of Orange County and some Los Angeles County, pardon the phrase "city folks". They didn't like the smell of horses or cattle, no sidewalks and one stop light. The pioneers/locals loved Norco as a "Horse Town". They were so proud of the article that Western Horseman magazine done. Next thing they knew, all these people started moving in with their "big city" looks, ideas and attitudes AND, "we are going to turn Norco into what we want". The locals bucked it, but to this day, don't know what has actually changed. However, I would hear some grumbling at the arena.

To wife and I, Norco was a very nice "horse" town and should stay that way. But, when too many (again, pardon the phrase) "city slickers" move in, what can happen?

Old 06-29-2017, 11:07 AM

I sincerely apologize; I really did not mean anything personal; truly if you KNEW me in person, none of that horrible diatribe ever comes out of my mouth nor even in my body-language...

...but the thoughts are definately squirming around in my gut, when I see the 'corrosive-effects' of urban-sprawl that's moved in here since I MYSELF relocated here, just shy of 25 yrs ago...

...I N.E.V.E.R. brought so much as two soft-pannierds (saddle-bags) of 'stuff' with me, slung over the tayl-end of the trusty Japanese quarter-horse that brought me safely across the nation, in April 1993...and in truth, I barely have much more than that, to this very day...perhaps 7 yrs spent living with my parents (who were stationed at Kadena AFB, in Japan) as a child had something to do with the 'if I don't need it I don't have it, and if I don't have it, I DON'T need it' mentality...

...and then the 08' bubble burst...alot of people lost thier butt$ in that...but there was a rebound of sorts...or not...I can't be sure really; seems to me that most never learned thier le$$on$ and went RIGHT BACK to living off of 'plastic', despite Dan Ramsey being on the radio everywhere, these days...

...I see ALOT more 'stuff' going up for sale on Craigslist and numerous 'for sale' FB-groups, more and more lately...and last night there was a news posting of a major change in the world of finance which allows shareholders to do whatever they want for the first time since 2011...whatever it is exactly escapes me at the moment, because FB pulled it from thier 'now trending' section...

Bottom line: I'm not sure thing$ are REALLY as they seem, on the surface. I have a terrible foreboding in my gut; can't put my finger on it...but if I had money, I would not be spending it right now.

Perhaps you feel it too...a 'rumbling on the tracks' of an approaching runaway train...and maybe Wyoming seems to be a better place to survive whatever is coming ?

If so...follow your gut, the best you can.

I know I don't want to be ANYWHERE near any major population-centers; nope...could'nt PAY me enough.

Perhaps what I dislike the most about 'city-folk' moving here, is that if 'whatever is coming' DOES happen...and the 'GRID' goes down......goods, services, electric, internet, fuel, food, DRINKABLE water, etc, etc...when all of that just STOPS ? I don't get to town much, but when I do...when I'm walking around Walmart and I see the types of people who've moved here to 'live the Wyoming lifestyle'...I'm not seeing too terribly many of them who would survive SEVEN DAYS here in Wyoming, without the most basic services...if it all comes crashing down. Hate to say it, but they'd probably be better-off had they STAYED wherever they came from.

I would'nt trust FEMA, UN 'NWO' or the 'US Gubment' with MY life...but city people might be better-off going that route...

I guess only time will tell ?

Old 06-29-2017, 11:28 AM

Even thou we are part of the biggest city (land wise) in Florida, one thing we definitely aren't is "big city" folks. We do like a Walmart and grocery store close by, but don't shop at any high-end stores like Nordstrom or Macy's. Don't need any big/expensive restaurants either. Love going to our small/local Waffle House for breakfast. A small cafe on the edge of town would be fine also, but this isn't a "town" and/or has a small cafe.

If a person wears western clothes here for a dinner out or something else, the locals definitely think you are a tourist and from Texas. Most folks here don't even know where Wyoming or Montana is!

Funny, Denver use to be called "Cowtown USA", but definitely not any more.

Unfortunately, we made a move to the wrong area/city, but that does happen sometimes. However, want to rectify that in a year or so.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:27 PM

1,948 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Spearfish South Dakota

Spearfish Rodeos | List of rodeos 2017 in Spearfish, SD

Old 06-29-2017, 06:50 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,874 times
I think a lot of people move to Florida with blinders on. They see no snow, water, no state income tax.
The eternal summer.
But then reality sets in.
It's not that cheap and only advantageous for the rich retiree.
I've been down here 27 yrs. 3 more until I can retire on a small state pension then I'm outta here.
Idaho, Wyoming and Nevada are on my short list. All 3 have advantages and disadvantages.
And before anyone screams winter.
I'm not looking at facing one.
I have family in Southern Arizona and plan on wintering there.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:03 PM

Winter is winter; dress warm, learn how to 'hibernate' properly; for me that involves getting through my day and retiring quietly for the night with a good book, under a comforter, with proper ('soft') lighting and I (hopefully) have drank my last bit of caffeine by no later than 2pm the same day.

As for (winter) driving conditions...I trust myself but NO one else out there on the road. Death comes to each of us eventually, why 'rush' things ?

To any/all newcomers, all I have to say is this: If there's snow falling on the roads, you either learn to slow the hell down, or...you learn REAL fast why you should.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Winter is winter; dress warm, learn how to 'hibernate' properly; for me that involves getting through my day and retiring quietly for the night with a good book, under a comforter, with proper ('soft') lighting and I (hopefully) have drank my last bit of caffeine by no later than 2pm the same day.

As for (winter) driving conditions...I trust myself but NO one else out there on the road. Death comes to each of us eventually, why 'rush' things ?

To any/all newcomers, all I have to say is this: If there's snow falling on the roads, you either learn to slow the hell down, or...you learn REAL fast why you should.
(In red above). We found this same thing out when more and more people starting coming to Denver metro from So California. Some of those knew how to drive in snow from going to the local mountains snow skiing. But, then again, going for a day or weekend of snow skiing sure isn't the same as driving in a "white-out" type snowstorm or blizzard. Then there are those that have never lived or driven in snow. All I could say is: "Just pray a lot when on the streets and freeways with them".

We still have our nice, somewhat costly, winter parka's that we bought while in Colorado. We just kept them. Perhaps a little bird was telling us that Florida wasn't going to our permanent home. We've also still have the snow/ice scraper for our vehicle, that we used in Colorado as well. Kept our winter gloves also.

Believe it or not, it does get cold here in the so-call "Florida winter". On Christmas Day 2010, it actually snowed in our apartment complex. Got our video camera and taped it. It was coming down pretty good, but not sticking. We've also had high temps of 45 degrees at noon here. "In Florida???" some would say. Yep! For short periods of time, have had an overnight low of 24 degrees. Shocking, hugh? Northern Florida can/does get cold and there are times we can actually see our breath outside. There are winter coats and boots sold in Target and Walmart here.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:45 AM

So, everyone is pretty much in agreement that Cheyenne would be ok for us. One thing for sure, we wouldn't be bringing any "big city" ideas/attitudes and want to change Cheyenne in anyway. We could, if wanted to, wear our cowboy hats/boots around without someone thinking we are tourists?

Old 06-30-2017, 12:17 PM

507 posts, read 662,079 times
Don't worry, Cheyenne is sorta "big city" for Wyoming anyway. Even got a couple
roundabouts. Your cowboy hats/boots fit in fine. If you are in the Frontier Mall for
some reason (well, they do have 5-Guys & Chik-Fil-A) you may see little punchers
all decked out likewise following mom around. Yeah, their heroes are still cowboys,
and some of 'em are already riding. At the same time, Cheyenne is kinda cosmopolitan
being so close to front range Colorado, plus home to WAFB and the state capitol.

You do know the most common four letter word in Wyoming: w-i-n-d

Now if you want to channel that inner cowboy and go Western to the max, forget
about Cheyenne and move to Kaycee. (pop 263) It doesn't get more Wyoming-ish
than Kaycee......... and like they say, what happens in Kaycee, stays in Kaycee!
More professional rodeo cowboys have come out of that little town than anyplace
else in Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming