Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:09 PM

507 posts, read 662,228 times

Advertisements

Recently discovered Wyoming has a test which is given to transplants in the Cowboy State. Not
being a fan of tests, I hassled my connection in Cheyenne to get some of the questions so I could provide some help to hopeful newcomers. First, here is a sample question they use to start off:

The adult beverage, Newcastle Brown Ale, gets its unique flavor and color from what local aspect:
A. The brew is aged in wooden vats made from ponderosa pine trees taken from the Cambria area.
B. The stuff comes from England-it actually has no connection to a town in eastern Wyoming.
C. Well, of course, their brewery is located right next door to the refinery. What do you expect?

Correct answer is "C". It's a little bit of crude oil that gives the delicious flavor and unique coloring.
Silly sample question, now let's look at some of the actual questions you might see on the test:

1. Wyoming was granted statehood in: A. 1980 B. 1890 C. 1908

2. Our state's official symbol is the "Bucking Horse & Rider". Select the actual horse/rider names:
A. Trigger/Roy Rogers B. Smoky/Will James C. Steamboat/Guy Holt

3. Match each of the following Wyoming communities with it's appropriate descriptive motto:
A. Casper 1. "Outlaw Country"
B. Gillette 2. "Oil City"
C. Kaycee 3. " The weather is here. Wish you were beautiful."
D. Jackson 4. " Energy Capital"

4. A StackCruiser is: A. Forklift driver in a warehouse. B. Strange looking machine for moving hay.
C. Guy who moves around a bar looking at women's busts. D. Person who climbs smokestacks.

5. Wyoming is noted for natural resources. Wyoming holds one-fourth of the world's natural source
of which commodity: A. Oil B. Pronghorn antelope C. Republicans D. Trona E. Coal

6. When horseback riding, a truly high quality Saddle will be equipped with which of the following:
A. leather upholstery B. airbag and seat belt C. heated seat D. all three

7. The small Wyoming town of Dubois--pronounced "Dew-Boyz" not Frenchie like "Dub-Wah"
is noted for it's annual "Running of the Bears" which is exciting, but also sometimes fatal.
The officially designated state sport is also exciting-which ONE of these is it:
A. Ice Hockey B. Cow Chip Tossing C. Rodeo D. Shooting Soda Pop Cans

8. One of the following traffic arteries is NOT actually located in a Wyoming town. Which Is It:
A. Elk St B. Dell Range Blvd C. Coffeen Ave D. Sepulveda Blvd E. Echeta Rd F. CY Ave

9. The current Governor of Wyoming, Matt Mead, is pictured riding on which ONE of these:
A. Jet Ski B. Moose C. Horse D. Motorcycle E. Grizzly Bear

10. Hunting is a popular activity in Wyo. Which ONE of the following game does not have a Season:
A. Mule Deer B. Pronghorn C. Tourist D. Elk E. Democrat

Hope this helps. Will be following soon with the correct answers, so you can see how you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 PM

Answers to the test questions:

1. "B" is correct. Statehood granted 1890. Horses given access to ballot box in 1908 (Later
rescinded). Smoke signals phased out for long-distance communication in 1980. (Because of
the wind, they were never totally reliable...the message was often inaccurate when received.)

2. "C" Steamboat was stabled near Wheatland. The symbol was derived from a photo of Holt
riding Steamboat in 1903. Wish Will James had been a Wyomie, but his 'hood was in Montana.

3. 'A' Casper is (2) Oil City, 'B' Gillette is (4) Energy Capital, 'C' Kaycee is (1) Outlaw Country,
and 'D' Jackson is (3) well you get the idea.

4. A StackCruiser is: "B" Strange machine for moving hay. What farm/ranch kid hasn't had a
turn behind the wheel of one?

5. "D" Trona. Sweetwater County has 1/4 of the world's naturally occurring source of soda ash. It is used in manufacturing and for all sorts of things.

6. "A" leather upholstery. Some saddles are leather and fabric, but are still mostly basic.

7. "C" Rodeo is the state sport. Shooting soda pop cans comes in a close second, and it is
particularly exciting if you shake them up real good before perforating with a .22 or 17hmr.

8. "D" Sepulveda Blvd. If I recall, Sepulveda was an Arapaho Indian chief from Ethete, but
the street that bears his name is in Los Angeles.

9. "C" Gov. Mead is often riding a horse. He was a noted bucking moose rider earlier in his
career, but gave it up for family and politics.

10. "E" Democrat. The season for Tourist has been expanded due to increased population,
but Democrats may still be taken year round. (Hey, Just Kidding-we get along fine.)

Hope you did good. And maybe derived some fascinating new information about our fine state.

Last edited by Wyoprairie; 07-21-2017 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Need to add "Just Kidding"

Old 07-21-2017, 06:55 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
Answers to the test questions:

1. "B" is correct. Statehood granted 1890. Horses given access to ballot box in 1908 (Later
rescinded). Smoke signals phased out for long-distance communication in 1980. (Because of
the wind, they were never totally reliable...the message was often inaccurate when received.)

2. "C" Steamboat was stabled near Wheatland. The symbol was derived from a photo of Holt
riding Steamboat in 1903. Wish Will James had been a Wyomie, but his 'hood was in Montana.

3. 'A' Casper is (2) Oil City, 'B' Gillette is (4) Energy Capital, 'C' Kaycee is (1) Outlaw Country,
and 'D' Jackson is (3) well you get the idea.

4. A StackCruiser is: "B" Strange machine for moving hay. What farm/ranch kid hasn't had a
turn behind the wheel of one?

5. "D" Trona. Sweetwater County has 1/4 of the world's naturally occurring source of soda ash. It is used in manufacturing and for all sorts of things.

6. "A" leather upholstery. Some saddles are leather and fabric, but are still mostly basic.

7. "C" Rodeo is the state sport. Shooting soda pop cans comes in a close second, and it is
particularly exciting if you shake them up real good before perforating with a .22 or 17hmr.

8. "D" Sepulveda Blvd. If I recall, Sepulveda was an Arapaho Indian chief from Ethete, but
the street that bears his name is in Los Angeles.

9. "C" Gov. Mead is often riding a horse. He was a noted bucking moose rider earlier in his
career, but gave it up for family and politics.

10. "E" Democrat. The season for Tourist has been expanded due to increased population,
but Democrats may still be taken year round. (Hey, Just Kidding-we get along fine.)

Hope you did good. And maybe derived some fascinating new information about our fine state.

You do realize that the vast majority of Wyoming people could care less about Horses, Hay, Rodeos, leather or mining. Probably have little to do with them either.
Cant say that for shooting thou. And, yes, no one likes tourists. And there actually ARE lots of democrats. Just not the crazy type.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:05 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
And if they fail, do you kick them out to Idaho or send em down to Colorado?

Old 07-22-2017, 10:08 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,290,042 times
Wheen you short on hay ,it problem ,besides the game and fish set hay prices for western Wyoming

Old 07-22-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
You do realize that the vast majority of Wyoming people could care less about Horses, Hay, Rodeos, leather or mining. Probably have little to do with them either.
Cant say that for shooting thou. And, yes, no one likes tourists. And there actually ARE lots of democrats. Just not the crazy type.
Well, looks like I need hang up the attempts at humor. I'm discovering this is a pedantic crowd, and
my attempts apparently aren't very good. No fun being the class clown when your schoolmates all
agree with the teacher. And I'm not gonna start telling people seeking advice what to do, since my
personal feeling on that is, "For Pete's sake, figure it out for yourself."

Normally I blow off any of the cranky responses, because I'd rather have fun. But you seem rather
bothered by this state's western identification and political hegemony. "And there actually ARE lots
of democrats." (Just not the crazy type, thank goodness) Compared to what.....kangaroos? Yes,
we definitely have more Democrats (not the crazy type) than kangaroos.

You live here? You know that 78 of 90 seats in the legislature are Republican? At 87% it's the
largest super-majority in the country. That all statewide offices are held by Republicans? That WY
has the strongest Republican advantage in the country? That Republican voter registration still
outnumbers Democrat registration in every county in the state? (Yes, even Teton) You know that
it is common in a statewide election here for the Democrat party to not even have a candidate in
as much as 25% of the contests? How bout this last one? Mary Throne (or whatever her name is)
couldn't even get re-elected. Ryan Greene, actually a nice guy even though a Democrat (but not
the crazy type), didn't even win in his home county. Before him, Leslie Peterson, a nice person, but
member of the wrong tribe as well, didn't win in her home county either (and that was Teton). Oh,
and election results by age group show that our youngest voters (18-30s) are second only in
conservative preference to the oldest voting group (60+) I think the revolution is gonna be awhile.

So I am part of that minority that you don't care for.... I'm the fourth generation scion of a legacy
ranching family, brought up with horses and hay, and my occupation and business interests are in
rodeo along with some in the pipeline industry. Oh, and then there's the miners. Guess we should
change the State Seal, since after all, we're in the minority. Is the landed oligarchy about to be
overthrown? Should I be packing up? Well that's enough, I would rather just joke around.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
And if they fail, do you kick them out to Idaho or send em down to Colorado?
Hey Idaho is filling up. I hear they are gonna start an exam too before long. See, we aren't getting
many applicants. Things aren't that good up here right now, but we'll be back on top someday.

BTW-I went to college in Colorado Springs. Lots of good memories, and fondness for that town.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Wheen you short on hay ,it problem ,besides the game and fish set hay prices for western Wyoming
Thought of you when this last couple of rains came through. It looked on radar like Crook was gonna
get some rain. Could use it.....if your hay was gathered.....not so good if you still had some down.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:56 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,290,042 times
Quote:
Thought of you when this last couple of rains came through. It looked on radar like Crook was gonna
get some rain. Could use it.....if your hay was gathered.....not so good if you still had some down.
Finished the day after my fire,two fires thrusday night from the lighting one neighbor to the east one neighbor to the eest. Lot of fires that night lighting was one big light show

Old 07-22-2017, 04:57 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,968 times
Quote:
Well, looks like I need hang up the attempts at humor. I'm discovering this is a pedantic crowd, and
my attempts apparently aren't very good. No fun being the class clown when your schoolmates all
agree with the teacher. And I'm not gonna start telling people seeking advice what to do, since my
personal feeling on that is, "For Pete's sake, figure it out for yourself."

Normally I blow off any of the cranky responses, because I'd rather have fun. But you seem rather
bothered by this state's western identification and political hegemony. "And there actually ARE lots
of democrats." (Just not the crazy type, thank goodness) Compared to what.....kangaroos? Yes,
we definitely have more Democrats (not the crazy type) than kangaroos.

You live here? You know that 78 of 90 seats in the legislature are Republican? At 87% it's the
largest super-majority in the country. That all statewide offices are held by Republicans? That WY
has the strongest Republican advantage in the country? That Republican voter registration still
outnumbers Democrat registration in every county in the state? (Yes, even Teton) You know that
it is common in a statewide election here for the Democrat party to not even have a candidate in
as much as 25% of the contests? How bout this last one? Mary Throne (or whatever her name is)
couldn't even get re-elected. Ryan Greene, actually a nice guy even though a Democrat (but not
the crazy type), didn't even win in his home county. Before him, Leslie Peterson, a nice person, but
member of the wrong tribe as well, didn't win in her home county either (and that was Teton). Oh,
and election results by age group show that our youngest voters (18-30s) are second only in
conservative preference to the oldest voting group (60+) I think the revolution is gonna be awhile.

So I am part of that minority that you don't care for.... I'm the fourth generation scion of a legacy
ranching family, brought up with horses and hay, and my occupation and business interests are in
rodeo along with some in the pipeline industry. Oh, and then there's the miners. Guess we should
change the State Seal, since after all, we're in the minority. Is the landed oligarchy about to be
overthrown? Should I be packing up? Well that's enough, I would rather just joke around.

Didnt mean to upset you. You seem like a good person.
But, Born and raised. But my family goes back a few more generations.
Who said I dont care for you folks? You did, not me. That is one of the problems with the "Im a Cowboy" type. Its their way or no way and the quickly hurt feelings. My family was brought up with horses and hay too. But that was long ago. We moved on when it became un profitable and went in to more modern and profitable endeavors that didnt involve taking subsidies from the government.
Of course this is a Pedantic crowd. We are Wyomingites.
So you with the Windy Creek bunch?
About politics. You are aware that More Wyoming governors have been Democrat then Republican. But of course not the crazy type. It was always interesting meeting Dave in Wallmart when he was in office. He was a good guy. Too bad he was a democrat. Amazing isnt it.
25 percent of the last presidential vote was Democrat.Only 65% was for Republican. But of course 51% wins. Many democrats dont vote because they believe it is a losing proposition. But still, a big chunk of the population did vote democrat. Im not a democrat by the way but I didnt vote republican either. I think they both stink. I always vote for the other guy. Its the real Wyoming way. Freedom.

About where people work. of course it depends on where you look, but:
About 40% of people in Wyoming work for the government in one fashion or another being direct or schools. only a mere 8% work in agriculture. ( The horse and hay bunch) 10% are directly involved in mining. All the rest are just the normal everyday jobs like banks, some small manufacturing, retail, healthcare so on and so forth. Few besides the Horse and hay bunch have horses (or hay). They cant afford them. The average per capita income in Wyoming is a mere $25,000.

By the way. It dosent seem too many people found your post funny. Nice try but I dont find it too funny either. Try again? If its funny Ill be the first to laugh. I like a good joke.

Last edited by Joe33; 07-22-2017 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming