Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:45 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I'd certainly recommend looking at those outdoor and nature activities you like to do and compare them against those available in your proposed areas to see if they are compatible since Cheyenne is basically on the Great Plains. Also review cost of living against possible wages and understand how your current rental/real estate dollars will translate into your proposed move.
Very, very true!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:20 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
An in-town neighborhood in Cheyenne will compare somewhat to the suburbs (of course it will vary more from the heart of the city). Living outside town would be much more different. The sun, wind and sometimes cold can be beyond the Chicago level. The people will be different, as already discussed.

Check the wages. They might be lower than you'd hope for in that industry. Cost of living might be too but dig into that and don't get surprised after the move.

When you visit, try to do at least 4 days. A weekend is not enough to check everything and get much feel.

School spending is very high and the schools tend to be rated well.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-15-2017 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 10:14 AM

246 posts, read 349,763 times
In case nobody has mentioned the wind i will. It is HORRIBLE! A friend of mine left after 20 years in 2015. 3 weeks of 40MPH sustained and 70 MPH gusts did him in. The high suicide rate in Wyoming is blamed a lot on the wind. Hailstorms have been extremely bad this year too. Snow in most any moth of the year is possible. All that said, After the winds calm down in late May, June is beautiful. Then it dries up lol. Good luck with your move!

Old 08-20-2017, 08:10 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,753 times
Bottom line: To any/all visiting from out of state during this oh-so-frighteningly-awsome eclipse, who get to feeling 'too comfortable ? MY best advice is to make damn sure you have GAINFUL employment lined-up for yourself BEFORE shopping around/making plan$ for home & hearth, because if you don't, and you fall flat on your face (or don't have a backup/escape-plan for you & yours) Wyoming is definately N.O.T. a place where you will find A.N.Y. support whatsoever, to help keep your head above water; at least not for very long.

If you want to make it here, you are going to HAVE to scratch & dig EVERY damn inch of the way.

Either believe me, or don't.

It's your choice.

(ps: I am NOT one of those who ever even once looked for a 'handout', but looking around me lately I am seeing a HUGE 'air/sea-change' in the morals, ethics & mannerisms of those coming in, and along with that I have a strong feeling deep in my gut that the 'party' is about to end.

If & when it does...you want to make damn sure there's a chair waiting for you when the music stops.

Just saying.)

Old 08-20-2017, 09:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Welcome to Wyoming. You'll love it here. Polish people are known for being hardworking, thrifty, and law-abiding—the kind of people Wyomingites love.

If you would like the best Wyoming has to offer, however, I recommend that you move to Cody and open a Polish restaurant.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:02 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,753 times
AGREED !

Been SO long since I sat down to a piping-hot bowl of fresh potato or beef Pierogies...

Ohhhhh, makes my mouth water just thinking about it....

I SO miss my great, great Grandmother (orig from Krakow).

Old 08-21-2017, 11:20 AM

I'm sure that the OP is familiar with the Red Apple, a great Polish buffet in Chicago. A place like that in Cody that had a smoking section would make fortune. Cody has no ordinance prohibiting smoking, but I don't know if there are any restaurants that currently allow it.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:54 PM

461 posts, read 546,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
[mod cut] Cheyenne is about an hour and a half from Denver if you need a big city.
And Denver is about 14 hours from Chicago if you need a big city. Denver is nothing.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:07 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Bottom line: To any/all visiting from out of state during this oh-so-frighteningly-awsome eclipse, who get to feeling 'too comfortable ? MY best advice is to make damn sure you have GAINFUL employment lined-up for yourself BEFORE shopping around/making plan$ for home & hearth, because if you don't, and you fall flat on your face (or don't have a backup/escape-plan for you & yours) Wyoming is definately N.O.T. a place where you will find A.N.Y. support whatsoever, to help keep your head above water; at least not for very long.

If you want to make it here, you are going to HAVE to scratch & dig EVERY damn inch of the way.

Either believe me, or don't.

It's your choice.

(ps: I am NOT one of those who ever even once looked for a 'handout', but looking around me lately I am seeing a HUGE 'air/sea-change' in the morals, ethics & mannerisms of those coming in, and along with that I have a strong feeling deep in my gut that the 'party' is about to end.

If & when it does...you want to make damn sure there's a chair waiting for you when the music stops.

Just saying.)
Doesn't look like anyone is too interested in sticking around. The southbound traffic out of fremont county is literally bumper to bumper right now (3 hrs after eclipse ended). Never seen it like this before

Old 08-21-2017, 10:38 PM

I went to Thermopolis to watch the eclipse. Traffic was heavier than normal in both directions. I went with two other people. We had planned to eat in Meeteetse on the way back, but the place was jammed.

I put the eclipse in the same category as ball lightning, something I've seen once but will probably never see it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming