Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 09:29 AM

701 posts, read 694,047 times

Advertisements

Passing through Wyoming in a couple of weeks and wondering how the roads from Cheyenne to Rapid City are. We will be turning off the interstate at Orin, going through Lusk, Newcastle and on to Devil's Tower than to Rapid City. Thanks in advance.

We love Wyoming. We went to Yellowstone a couple of years ago and loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
From Newcastle to Rapid should be fine -- some construction here and there but nothing major. I haven't been south of Newcastle this year.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:18 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
If you want to check out the road conditions, check this site before you leave. https://map.wyoroad.info
This time of year there is little to worry about except thunderstorms and road construction.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:20 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times
If ONLY the roads here in the Bighorn Basin were HALF as nice as what I've been on, from Lusk to Newcastle...

Old 08-12-2017, 08:19 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
If you want to check out the road conditions, check this site before you leave. https://map.wyoroad.info
This time of year there is little to worry about except thunderstorms and road construction.

Returning from Oregon early this week, I ran into a hail storm on I-80 near Evanston Monday afternoon. Most cars and trucks were pulled off the road, and the ones still moving were doing so at 10-20 mph. Hail was a few inches deep on the highway with ridges 6-8 inches high. Quite an experience! I pulled off for 10 minutes or so, then decided to push onward in the heavy rain and hail. I was through it after another mile or two and enjoyed light traffic for the next hour.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:00 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Returning from Oregon early this week, I ran into a hail storm on I-80 near Evanston Monday afternoon. Most cars and trucks were pulled off the road, and the ones still moving were doing so at 10-20 mph. Hail was a few inches deep on the highway with ridges 6-8 inches high. Quite an experience! I pulled off for 10 minutes or so, then decided to push onward in the heavy rain and hail. I was through it after another mile or two and enjoyed light traffic for the next hour.
Yeah hail storms are no picnic. I got caught in a pretty bad one just outside of Farson once. I pulled over and waited it out.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:23 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I was in that hailstorm in spearfish a few years back that destroyed the wallmart. My surface of my car looked like a golf ball. Hail the size of baseballs bashed thru the skylights and busted up all the a/c units on the roof. You could smell the freon inside of wallmart.

A nicer drive if you are looking for scenery is get off at Guernsey and take 270 north. It will take you thru some very pretty countryside and you will bypass Lusk.

If you are in a hurry, Take 25 north to Douglas then take the 59 north to Gillette. You can then take the 14 thru the black hills to devils tower, on to Sundance then the 90 to rapid city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming