Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:15 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
National HS Rodeo finished up Saturday night. Top teams were the usual culprits: Texas, Utah. California is usually up there, but finished after Wyoming this year. WY finished 8th. Oklahoma 3rd, Kansas 4th. Louisiana, Alberta, and South Dakota, then Wyoming.

Rock Springs has one of those Old Chicago restaurants now. Guess they actually opened last fall.
I was surprised to hear Old Chicago opened. Other than fast food Chinese and Mexican were the most common choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 06:18 AM

965 posts, read 938,882 times
Brown eyed: After growing up with these stories, and spending time in RS, I had to go pull them up. The 60 minutes program in ‘78 was a BIG deal throughout WY. If you can find it on YouTube you’d be fascinated. It really wasn’t “that” long ago.

This introduction to those stories was my favorite:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z...t-mining-towns
I will buy the book

Good on you for putting forth the effort. Too bad you have to try to avoid places to be safe. Most of WY is not like that, but it seems some parts of RS just accept it.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Brown eyed: After growing up with these stories, and spending time in RS, I had to go pull them up. The 60 minutes program in ‘78 was a BIG deal throughout WY. If you can find it on YouTube you’d be fascinated. It really wasn’t “that” long ago.

I will buy the book

Good on you for putting forth the effort. Too bad you have to try to avoid places to be safe. Most of WY is not like that, but it seems some parts of RS just accept it.
The website cited is leftist and utterly opposed to traditional values, particularly the values held in Wyoming.

Of course, there are are criminals and degenerates in Rock Springs: it's a large city by Wyoming standards. However, there's no part of Rock Springs that people need fear or avoid. Precious liberals may compare it unfavorably to Chicago, San Fransisco, New York City, and similar places, but those same people who extol the joys of urban life can't leave their homes at night without wondering if disaster will strike. Residents of Rock Springs have no such fears.

I've been to Rock Springs too many times to believe the leftist garbage.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The website cited is leftist and utterly opposed to traditional values, particularly the values held in Wyoming.

Of course, there are are criminals and degenerates in Rock Springs: it's a large city by Wyoming standards. However, there's no part of Rock Springs that people need fear or avoid. Precious liberals may compare it unfavorably to Chicago, San Fransisco, New York City, and similar places, but those same people who extol the joys of urban life can't leave their homes at night without wondering if disaster will strike. Residents of Rock Springs have no such fears.

Of course it's leftist. Just because you disagree with it right?

Old 07-25-2018, 12:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Google what a meth head looks like. You don't have to associate with them to know it. Go to almost any business in Rock Springs and you're bound to encounter at least one. And I was talking about dating not marriage. I rarely dated there because I wasn't desperate. My standards of a non smoker with a career, a job, all her teeth, and not an alcoholic or drug addict were too high there. This was with online dating and people trying to set me up with other women.

This is pure, unadulterated BS. At least the part about encountering meth heads (I can't speak to the dating scene, but like most remote-ish areas with heavy dependence on O&G and mining it is probably difficult for a guy). I have been to Rock Springs many, many, many times and haven't seen anything like you describe.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:07 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

I don't know what it has to do with politics, but I agree with you 100% that there is no part of Rock Springs that is dangerous in any way.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
This is pure, unadulterated BS. At least the part about encountering meth heads (I can't speak to the dating scene, but like most remote-ish areas with heavy dependence on O&G and mining it is probably difficult for a guy). I have been to Rock Springs many, many, many times and haven't seen anything like you describe.
Did you also not see sagebrush while you were there?
I don't know where those of you who haven't seen meth heads were while you were there, but I could rarely leave my house without seeing at least one unless I got in the car and didn't get out until I got to another town. If I went to any store I'd see at least one. And no, I was not hanging out with them. This also seemed to be something that transplants like myself noticed more. Natives didn't seem to notice...

Old 07-27-2018, 04:57 PM

77 posts, read 92,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post

I will buy the book

I actually watched that and I went ahead and came. Since I have been here I have noticed some other things to. It is interesting place. I will venture out to more of Wyoming eventually. I am really happy though here..I can't explain it but I feel like I'm at home.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:01 PM

77 posts, read 92,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Did you also not see sagebrush while you were there?
I don't know where those of you who haven't seen meth heads were while you were there, but I could rarely leave my house without seeing at least one unless I got in the car and didn't get out until I got to another town. If I went to any store I'd see at least one. And no, I was not hanging out with them. This also seemed to be something that transplants like myself noticed more. Natives didn't seem to notice...
I've seen some too

Old 07-28-2018, 08:44 AM

400 posts, read 453,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirlca View Post
I actually watched that and I went ahead and came. Since I have been here I have noticed some other things to. It is interesting place. I will venture out to more of Wyoming eventually. I am really happy though here..I can't explain it but I feel like I'm at home.
Find a job you’re happy with? Do you like your neighbors? Satisfied with your new residence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming