Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:28 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,054 times

Advertisements

I am interested in buying a house in Rock Springs to spend the Summers. I am early 50s, well educated, and like the mountains. Is the meth problem bad? I just hate those folks. 420 entirely different to me. How about stuff like water/sewer/trash/property taxes/car reg fees? How are grocery prices? What big grocery chains are there? Any good bars with simply co!d beer, good prices, and very few fights? Are there lots of Bronco fans? How about work? If I could get 20 hours per week at 15 per hour I could do quite well, without a mortgage, and my health insurance paid from an annuity. I have a perfect driving record, used to have a CDL, and a clean rap sheet. Realistic to find work? My GF is Thai and she might join me but, they had a relative study at UCLA, and she is kind of terrified of the AA. That is simply the truth, no need to sugar coat it. So I assumed Wyoming might be a good fit, and she is fascinated by cowboy culture, and !oves "movie cowboy.". Thanks in advance any constructive remarks are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 09:15 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,753 times
Meth is everywhere. Rock Springs is right on interstate, which means even more meth (and lot-lizards & STD's) along with WAY more truckers than cowboys.

Picture 70's 'fast-paced' Oklahoma oil-field/cattle-trucking-culture with ALOT less old-school 'southwestern-charm'...

The closer to town you are, the less 'cowboy culture' you're going to find, because anybody living or hanging around town is'nt earning his living (if you can barely call it that) as a cowboy; he may be 'dressed' the part, but in reality he's either putting up sheetrock, turning wrenches or driving truck for his pay...

...and I for one, don't buy that tired-line about 'It's what's in your heart that counts' bull-crap.

There's a wild-horse roundup once or twice a yr in Rock Spings area somewhere, but mostly I see helicopters and ATV's being used to gitter-dun...

...that AIN'T 'cowboying'...more of a modern-day Urban-esche trainwreck, if you ask me.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:49 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I am interested in buying a house in Rock Springs to spend the Summers. I am early 50s, well educated, and like the mountains. Is the meth problem bad? I just hate those folks. 420 entirely different to me. How about stuff like water/sewer/trash/property taxes/car reg fees? How are grocery prices? What big grocery chains are there? Any good bars with simply co!d beer, good prices, and very few fights? Are there lots of Bronco fans? How about work? If I could get 20 hours per week at 15 per hour I could do quite well, without a mortgage, and my health insurance paid from an annuity. I have a perfect driving record, used to have a CDL, and a clean rap sheet. Realistic to find work? My GF is Thai and she might join me but, they had a relative study at UCLA, and she is kind of terrified of the AA. That is simply the truth, no need to sugar coat it. So I assumed Wyoming might be a good fit, and she is fascinated by cowboy culture, and !oves "movie cowboy.". Thanks in advance any constructive remarks are appreciated.
If you want a place in Wyoming Rock Springs is the last place I'd live in. The main hobbies there are drinking, meth, and having babies. Also be aware there is a heavy LDS presence. Not that it's a bad thing, but you do see a strong influence and it may be very different from what you're used to. You're also a bit of a distance from the mountains. Grocery prices are high and you have Smiths's, Albertson's, and Walmart. The bars are for the most part seedy and full of smoke. Yes, there are Brocnos fans. I'm not sure of the job situation at this time.

What do you mean terrified of AA?

Old 09-03-2017, 01:11 PM

Most of her family made it through the entire 20th century without ever seeing an African. So now, the cousin lived in SoCal for a while, and the reports were not good. I try to avoid the topic, but I get questions like "why aren't they in reeducation," and "doesn't your country have attitude adjustment.". The rioting, the rap culture, every cops type program.....they watch the news. I had forgotten about the LDS culture..that can limit emp!oyment options. Lots of them in Arizona, but not nearly a majority. They are known for influence. Would Casper be a better bet? The welfare culture is one of the worst byproducts of the meth-heads. It is really a cancer in rural America.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:06 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Know a guy who lived there for a few years, and could not wait to get the heck out. I spent a night there and I could not wait to get the heck out. Besides, it is a very ugly city!

Old 09-03-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Most of her family made it through the entire 20th century without ever seeing an African. So now, the cousin lived in SoCal for a while, and the reports were not good. I try to avoid the topic, but I get questions like "why aren't they in reeducation," and "doesn't your country have attitude adjustment.". The rioting, the rap culture, every cops type program.....they watch the news. I had forgotten about the LDS culture..that can limit emp!oyment options. Lots of them in Arizona, but not nearly a majority. They are known for influence. Would Casper be a better bet? The welfare culture is one of the worst byproducts of the meth-heads. It is really a cancer in rural America.
Casper is ten times better. Just be aware that anywhere in Wyoming there is often a mistrust toward outsiders and it can be difficult to make friends.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
... Would Casper be a better bet? ....
You like Mtns?

Casper would be better than Rock Springs (a LOT better)

Sheridan / Cody / Buffalo would all be better than Casper

Thai girlfriend joining you and wanting college experience?

Look to Laramie (and Bozeman or Missoula)

Mtns, Income Tax free state, Superb college, and a great place for international culture (BC Canada <1 hr away), and summers to 'die for'... = Bellingham, WA

Old 09-03-2017, 07:40 PM

She is closer to my age (Vietnam Era), but her knowledge of America was heavily influenced by a relative's experiences at UCLA. Lots of talk about the wind in Casper but that often comes with big mountains. Meth in Casper, too. The airport would be useful.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:55 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,753 times
Gillette much better choice for the two of you. Sheridan even better because of your active-duty served (VA clinic is there, VA community is in Buffalo, south of town) AND more modern-day 'cowboy culture' definately exists in and around (certainly north of) Sheridan. If she really gets curious, there's Crow Reservation north of Wyoming border, and Cheyenne Reservation north of Gillette. My guess is she'd feel more comfortable exploring Native American history, and the N-Central/N-East section of Wyoming is not a 'favorite destination' of AA...especially when there's more (for them) to be found in Billings, Montana...or south of Wyoming border in Denver.

I have a feeling you'd both enjoy watching Eaton's guest-ranch horse-wrangle out of Clearmont, each spring.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You like Mtns?

Casper would be better than Rock Springs (a LOT better)

Sheridan / Cody / Buffalo would all be better than Casper

Thai girlfriend joining you and wanting college experience?

Look to Laramie (and Bozeman or Missoula)

Mtns, Income Tax free state, Superb college, and a great place for international culture (BC Canada <1 hr away), and summers to 'die for'... = Bellingham, WA
Don't forget Lander and Cody if you want mountains. Not much for the college experience though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming