Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 06:06 AM

19 posts, read 25,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Wish I knew where I saw it, but someone put it more perfectly (earlier) than I ever could have...

...something about "Some people move here with 'bright eyes' full of wonder and awe...yadda yadda yadda...

...and end up leaving here with NOT so 'bright eyes'...

Yeah, the wording is wrong...but the content is similar...and I whole-heartedly agreed when I first read it.

It's great to visit, awsome place to be IF you have the financial-wherewithal to make a life for yourself here AND can stick with it through 'better or worse'...

...but...it does seem to me that a fair amount of people end up saying "To HELL with it !" within 3 or 4 yrs.

You'll never truly know until you try...that's all I can say.
I could imagine that being the case, yes. I am with my partner right now and he has no plans on moving so this was just a fantasy type of question for me. Maybe something to seriously ponder in the future if something ever happened and I was sadly on my own again. I told myself if I had to move again I'd want to go to a place that was big on nature, more trees than cars, and had a relatively cool climate. I just figured Wyoming or Montana would fit those requirements for some reason. But it is best to visit first... I've lived on the east coast my entire life so maybe I wouldn't love the move as much as I'm fantasizing I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The biggest cities are over 50k. The population is about 500,000 and is spread far and wide. Definitely isolated with lots of land. Cost of living is high, wages in some fields keep up with it. I lived in Wyoming for eight years. If you'd like, I could do a pros and cons list (just based on my experiences and opinions).
Thank you for your input. I would love to read your pros and cons if you have the time to share them. No rush.

It sounds wonderful though. I love the idea of a "spread out" population of that size.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I like it, but I work at least two jobs (1 full-time plus day work and odd jobs) to live well here. I could live paycheck to paycheck on my f/t work, but I think that is a really bad idea.

I like the lower population density. I don't like to shop. I don't like to eat out. I own a small house. I enjoy the plains, but like to see the mountains. I like wind, it makes me feel alive. The weather extremes make me chuckle. It can be 96 one day and a high of 48 a couple days later. Or, low 30s in the morning and well over 80 in the afternoon.

I've hired some who have a romanticized notion of life here (meeting cowboys, living in the mountains) and they have all left in two years. I know several others who really like it, rough spots and all.

Thank you! This sounds awesome actually. I don't shop for new things-- I only really do thrift or yard sales. I would imagine they'd be few and far in between. So at least I'd have ebay as long as I hadn't a reliable net connection. I don't eat out either and my diet is super simple. I love the wind and nature, too. The weather sounds nutty but also sounds like fun... like unwrapping a surprise present every day.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:59 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,386,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
It is. Crossing the river is like walking through the door that separates the west from the midwest, and when the sun is just right, it's a stunning view.

This is roughly the 100th meridian I mentioned above. The Missouri River is where it all changes and the west becomes obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryG1rl View Post
TI love nature and prefer the country landscape to cityscape any day. I suppose the only "need" would be to have a reliable internet connection. Otherwise I'm super flexible with everything else.
Quote:
I told myself if I had to move again I'd want to go to a place that was big on nature, more trees than cars, and had a relatively cool climate. I just figured Wyoming or Montana would fit those requirements for some reason. But it is best to visit first... I've lived on the east coast my entire life so maybe I wouldn't love the move as much as I'm fantasizing I would.
The thing about Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado for that matter, is that half of each of these states are actually on the Great Plains. Wide expanses of grassland and rolling hills with nary a tree in site is not uncommon. Vistas spreading out with visibility for literally a hundred miles are possible. Its not until you get into wind protected valleys, more rugged hilly areas, or the mountains that timber begins to appear in any significant amounts. The eastern seaboard has the Rocky Mountains beat in the tree factor by 100:1. out in the country means a much different thing here and can translate into a 3-4 hour drive with the possibility of life threatening weather changes. BTW, most of the land in those vistas is probably private too. So you can't just go ranging over it.

Population density is also radically different and can have a big impact on people unfamiliar with it. The Rocky Mountain states are far and away above the US average for suicides. New Jersey at 1210 persons per sq mile compared to Wyoming at 6 is a huge difference. In western states people simply don't live 30 minutes away from town to avoid congestion while having access to a local grocery store, cafe, and coffee shop. In the west, 30 miles can be the difference between a city and nothing. Nearly everything here is built around these towns and cities.

Cities here are not much different than those on the east coast, except for the age of the buildings and infrastructure. Our oldest areas will only be 150 years old, and most of our population booms occurred between 1870-1900 and again from 1950-1970 and is occurring again. This created some very nice Victorian cores that have grown out into a lot of bland, cookie cutter, anyplace USA growth in a lot of places.

Flip side to a lot of this is you won't be looked down on for wearing last year's fashion, or even last decades for that matter. An old truck is as good to have as a new one. You can watch a thunderstorm roll by a county over and never get rained on while seeing spectacular rain and lightning. Solitude can be found if desired. You can sit on the roof of the continent and touch the clouds as they roll by. you can marvel how a century ago roads, towns, and people carved a living and thrived in a rugged landscape with only access to basic tools.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
OP has posted in New Jersey, Vermont, and Wyoming.

Life west of the 100th meridian is radically different than east of it. Not only with the geography, but with many lifestyles and attitudes as well. Wide, wide open space, long distances between things, sparse population except for urban centers, legal battles over water, high altitude dry air that will make your nose bleed and lips crack, weather that changes literally at a drop of a hat, snow in April, the list goes on. The west is not for everyone, but many who live in it, wouldn't trade it. Whether or not that fits your expectations are hard to predict with the limited info request of this post.
Thank you so much for the info. Much appreciated. What do you mean by legal battles over water?

Old 09-28-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My late wife used to say she moved here (Gillette) after being told there was a handsome cowboy hiding behind every tree, and that she didn't realize there weren't any trees until she got here. Luckily for me, she settled after she couldn't find a tree. (There really are a few trees on the prairie and lots of them in towns, but not compared to NJ.)

She moved here at age 47, iirc. She said her only regret was that she didn't move west (from NJ) earlier in her life. She loved it here, right from the start -- said she cried when crossing the Missouri River at Chamberlain because it was so beautiful. It (Wyoming or the west in general) is certainly nothing like NJ!

Awww! Thank you for sharing that. I have a very romanticized idea of how Wyoming would be. Obviously I was wrong about the trees. But the landscape sounds exquisite.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
This is roughly the 100th meridian I mentioned above. The Missouri River is where it all changes and the west becomes obvious.

The thing about Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado for that matter, is that half of each of these states are actually on the Great Plains. Wide expanses of grassland and rolling hills with nary a tree in site is not uncommon. Vistas spreading out with visibility for literally a hundred miles are possible. Its not until you get into wind protected valleys, more rugged hilly areas, or the mountains that timber begins to appear in any significant amounts. The eastern seaboard has the Rocky Mountains beat in the tree factor by 100:1. out in the country means a much different thing here and can translate into a 3-4 hour drive with the possibility of life threatening weather changes. BTW, most of the land in those vistas is probably private too. So you can't just go ranging over it.

Population density is also radically different and can have a big impact on people unfamiliar with it. The Rocky Mountain states are far and away above the US average for suicides. New Jersey at 1210 persons per sq mile compared to Wyoming at 6 is a huge difference. In western states people simply don't live 30 minutes away from town to avoid congestion while having access to a local grocery store, cafe, and coffee shop. In the west, 30 miles can be the difference between a city and nothing. Nearly everything here is built around these towns and cities.

Cities here are not much different than those on the east coast, except for the age of the buildings and infrastructure. Our oldest areas will only be 150 years old, and most of our population booms occurred between 1870-1900 and again from 1950-1970 and is occurring again. This created some very nice Victorian cores that have grown out into a lot of bland, cookie cutter, anyplace USA growth in a lot of places.
Great information. Thank you!

Quote:

Flip side to a lot of this is you won't be looked down on for wearing last year's fashion, or even last decades for that matter. An old truck is as good to have as a new one. You can watch a thunderstorm roll by a county over and never get rained on while seeing spectacular rain and lightning. Solitude can be found if desired. You can sit on the roof of the continent and touch the clouds as they roll by. you can marvel how a century ago roads, towns, and people carved a living and thrived in a rugged landscape with only access to basic tools.
That was beautiful! It's what I'm looking and hoping for!

Old 09-28-2017, 06:59 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Thank you for your input. I would love to read your pros and cons if you have the time to share them. No rush.

It sounds wonderful though. I love the idea of a "spread out" population of that size.
Pros
1. I do miss the landscape. It's a stunning landscape in most of the state.
2. I miss the variety of wildlife. I'm an amateur photographer and with this and the landscape it was a great spot.
3. I miss the proximity to places like the Black Hills, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National Parks. It's also nice not being far from places like Dinosaur National Monument. Of course this all depends on what part of the state you live in.

Cons
1. The politics. I'm mostly apolitical, but there are too many political extremists there. They are extreme conservatives. While most people are live and let live, there are a lot of very loud conservatives there. I wouldn't like liberals like this either, before anyone says anything.
2. The slow pace of life. Slow pace of life is taken too literally. Read, there is lots of laziness and inefficiency. Many people drive too slow, it takes weeks to get your drivers license, and people are often not in a hurry when there needs to be somewhat of a sense of urgency.
3. The selfishness of many people. I found a great deal of people there who were flat out unwilling to help with anything. There was an every man for himself mentality.
4. The clannish mentality. There is a lot of suspicion and flat out paranoia toward outsiders. It gets old.

I moved to Wyoming from Montana (which isn't that different of a culture, think moving from Mississippi to Alabama) and while I had a decent job, I never seemed to really fit in. I liked the state and tried to stay but was unsuccessful. After leaving, I realized how it was not a good fit after all.

I'm not saying this to dissuade you from moving there. Although I've painted an unflattering picture, there are good people. I just didn't mesh well. By all means read and consider everything on here. The locals here know what they're talking about. If you can, I do suggest trying to visit.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:14 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,453 times
"and people are often not in a hurry when there needs to be somewhat of a sense of urgency."

Uhmm...I'm sorry...but...who exactly are YOU to be deciding ANYONE 'needs' to be in a hurry ? ? ?

Y'know...I gotta tell ya...it's 'new-age elitism' just like THAT, either passing-through or setting up here in Wyoming which raises my blood-pressure...

...and I'm really getting sick and tired of it.

To the OP: having orig come from your neck of the woods, I can tell you that although it was literally an 'air/sea-change' it was the best thing for me, really...nearly lost my life 30 yrs ago due to stress-induced aneurism...and the decision (to move west) was made at my 2nd-to-last follow-up to my surgery...

...it was either go on severe medz for several years (which I had a snow-ball's chance in hell of being able to afford) or make a 'radical-change' in my life, move somewhere & do something completely different...something I truly LOVED...

...I chose the latter of the two, threw everything to chance, sold everything I had, kissed my folks goodbye, hopped on my motorcycle and never looked back.

Have taken the 'Grey-dog' to visit them a small handful of times, but glad I never stayed.

It's not that I hate Ocean & Monmouth Counties...they each have thier pro's and con's...

...but it AIN'T Wyoming.

I have a feeling you'd do OK out here...as long as you jettison the 'faster-is-better' (progressive) mentality, which was so clearly seen in the post above mine.

If you truly want to get AWAY from it all...Wyoming is here for you.

The town of Sheridan might be a good place to visit first...Douglas is my 2nd pick, for someone who wants a good place to start.

The closer you get to 'touristy' areas, the higher the cost of living...and you CANNOT 'eat' scenery.

...just saying.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:35 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
"and people are often not in a hurry when there needs to be somewhat of a sense of urgency."

Uhmm...I'm sorry...but...who exactly are YOU to be deciding ANYONE 'needs' to be in a hurry ? ? ?

Y'know...I gotta tell ya...it's 'new-age elitism' just like THAT, either passing-through or setting up here in Wyoming which raises my blood-pressure...

...and I'm really getting sick and tired of it.

To the OP: having orig come from your neck of the woods, I can tell you that although it was literally an 'air/sea-change' it was the best thing for me, really...nearly lost my life 30 yrs ago due to stress-induced aneurism...and the decision (to move west) was made at my 2nd-to-last follow-up to my surgery...

...it was either go on severe medz for several years (which I had a snow-ball's chance in hell of being able to afford) or make a 'radical-change' in my life, move somewhere & do something completely different...something I truly LOVED...

...I chose the latter of the two, threw everything to chance, sold everything I had, kissed my folks goodbye, hopped on my motorcycle and never looked back.

Have taken the 'Grey-dog' to visit them a small handful of times, but glad I never stayed.

It's not that I hate Ocean & Monmouth Counties...they each have thier pro's and con's...

...but it AIN'T Wyoming.

I have a feeling you'd do OK out here...as long as you jettison the 'faster-is-better' (progressive) mentality, which was so clearly seen in the post above mine.

If you truly want to get AWAY from it all...Wyoming is here for you.

The town of Sheridan might be a good place to visit first...Douglas is my 2nd pick, for someone who wants a good place to start.

The closer you get to 'touristy' areas, the higher the cost of living...and you CANNOT 'eat' scenery.

...just saying.
Making quite the leap with some of these points methinks. There are certain situations where there does need to be a sense of urgency. Nobody has any right to drive under the speed limit and impede traffic for example. People can have some manners and return phone calls less that five days later. Landlords have an obligation to respond to tenant's requests for repairs in a reasonable time frame. People working checkout lines have a responsibility to move customers along. This isn't "new age elitism" nor is it a fast paced lifestyle. It's called common courtesy and being responsible and I found it to be lacking with a lot of people. I'm not going to get into a personal argument with you and in fact I enjoy reading your informative posts. All I'm doing is providing the OP my own experiences and hopefully allowing her to make an informed decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming