Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,181 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to the area in two weeks! I am a CA girl and have no idea about the weather there in Wy. What should I expect?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
Depending on where you will be going it will vary greatly.

Here in the Sheridan area we've been hitting upper 40's to low 50's at night. But we've been hitting 90's during the day.

Were you looking for an answer for when you got here or long term?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:01 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,588,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InloveinWy View Post
I am going to be moving to the area in two weeks! I am a CA girl and have no idea about the weather there in Wy. What should I expect?!
The answer to that question has just about as many answers as the question about what the weather in California is like. In case you're not aware of the geography of Wyoming, it is very varied, ranging from mid elevation prairies at about 4000 ft. elevation to forested mountain peaks well over 10,000 feet. Inhabited areas of Wyoming include just about everything between these two extremes, so the weather is going to be very different depending on where you go.

It would help everyone on the forum if you could tell us where you've decided to settle, so we can be of greater assistance. Wyoming is the 9th largest state in the U.S. in land area, so there is no general assessment of the weather that will be all encompassing about Wyoming. It's somewhat like the Los Angeles area, which has multiple climate zones, ranging from the beach communities to the mountains, the deserts, the valleys, and so on.

In general, compared to California, Wyoming will be significantly cooler most of the year, to very cold in the winter, and will likely be much windier most of the time. Summers in parts of Wyoming can get nearly as hot as some parts of California, though in general, summers are a little cooler in Wyoming. Of course there are places in California (Truckee, for instance) that experiences weather that is very similar to that in parts of Wyoming, so that is why this is only a general assessment.

Edit: I just noticed the zip code in your profile for Gillette, WY. Using that information, I came up with the following link that will give you specific information about the area. It has a lot more than just weather, so I hope you find it useful. The weather data is about halfway down the page. Here's the link: //www.city-data.com/city/Gillette-Wyoming.html

Last edited by jdavid93225; 07-21-2009 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: added Gillette info

Old 07-21-2009, 07:23 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
Good catch, jdavid.

Inlove, we've got a bunch of folks from Gillette on this board, so if you have other questions, ask away.

Here's the page I use for Gillette weather. (http://www.accuweather.com/us/wy/gillette/82716/city-weather-forecast.asp?partner=apple&traveler=0&u=1 - broken link) As an example, here are the stats for yesterday's weather history:
Yesterday, 7/20/2009 in GILLETTE, WY
High Temperature:
Actual: 75°F
Normal: 86°F
Record: 102°F
Low Temperature:
Actual: 49°F
Normal: 53°F
Record: 46°F
Precipitation:
Actual: 0.01 in
Normal: 0.03 in
Record: 0.65 in

Note the difference between the normal high and normal low is 33°F. That's due to our relatively high elevation.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,685 posts, read 57,985,728 times
wind - get used to it.

Long underwear / scarf / snug fitting hat. Keep the interior of your car free from paper, or never open both doors at once (If you don't want it 'cleaned-out', REAL fast)

Get a place to live that is sheltered from direct wind, at least the entry and main living space.

Bring Heavy Flip-flops

Old 07-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Okay StealthRabbit, I'll probably be sorry for this, but what's the purpose of heavy flip-flops? To hold you down so you don't blow away?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,685 posts, read 57,985,728 times
'CA-grade' flip-flops (beach quality ~ 1/2 inch thick) will take flight between steps. They make good kites in WY. (we can use them as shooting clays) She'll be shoeless in 3 steps as she makes a contribution to Colorado's incoming trash (the CA flip-flops will be hanging on some aspen tree in No Colorado for a X-mas decoration)

You need a 'range-grade' flip-flop in WY, Heavy, and Heavy Duty. And something the neighbor's dog can't drag off or digest.

I recommend something made from the thrown re-tread from a Quarry truck, (bout 3" thick) with anchor chain for straps ( 200# should do). (Don't wear these swimming!!)

BTW... just taking a mental image of CA girl arriving in WY during the summer, then... the 'reality pill' come winter. Might wanna leave some of the 'light-weight' clothing for a future 'trip home' for winter reprieve!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Gotcha! My wife prefers the shearling TeePee Creepers year-round.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 PM

203 posts, read 712,525 times
There is snow and spring does not come until mid May and June. I used to wear my Uggs for the beach but I have needed my Uggs for the cold. I have a coat for every 10 degrees difference. I have never seen so much weather in my existence and that includes thundersnow.

Until we moved here I had never carried a snow scraper/ brush thing before.

I also have a reason to buy "winter" clothes so more shopping, yea!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,217,720 times
Hey there Queenie!!!! SOMETIMES spring and summer come sooner than they did this year! Mother nature was just doing this to see how you & Barnes reacted! You two passed the test with flying colors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: