U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 PM

24 posts, read 62,615 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the law in Wyoming concerning concealed carry permits? I got one in NY (MAJOR pain in the neck!) and I currently have one in Florida. Wondering if Wy reciprocates with other states or if you have to go thru the whole process? Plan to do some hunting and also wish to carry a personal weapon.
Thanx, Harry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 05:32 PM

254 posts, read 794,405 times
Greetings,
It's been about 15 years since I first got my CCW---here's what I remember:

You must go to the local Sheriff's office and first obtain an application, which will also have a copy of the applicable laws. The qualifications are that you have had a firearms course (documentable), are not a criminal, and that you have never been committed to a mental institution. The fee for the application is $74. You must also get fingerprinted (about $15--at least back then) and those fingerprints must be scrutinized on the federal level (FBI, I believe.) Once that comes back then you must go to the DOT (driver's license office) and get your picture taken for your CCW permit. The whole process took a couple of months for me---most of that was just waiting for the FBI check, if I remember correctly.

Here is the applicable Wyoming law:

Concealed Weapons Permit

and some FAQ's:

Concealed Weapons Permit FAQ (http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWPFAQ.html - broken link)

Additionally---remember not to let your permit expire ($50 renewal fee)--if you do you must go through the whole process again.

As far as reciprocity goes---Wyoming recognizes Florida's CCW.

Last edited by Cloudfish; 03-17-2008 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-17-2008, 05:35 PM

17,289 posts, read 23,207,448 times
You could open carry as well without a CC permit in WY, as far as I know, if you wished.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:02 PM

208 posts, read 832,963 times
You first need proof of "safe gun handling" education. Although there are CCW-specific training courses available I would recommend taking a hunter's education course. They will accept that, and if you don't have one in WY and plan on hunting it's a good idea anyway. There is no sense in taking one course to CCW and one to hunt since the hunting one works for both.

You must be a WY resident for 6 months prior to application.

Go to the local sheriff's office and get your application. Fill it out and bring it back with your hunter's ed card, a money order for $64 for the state and a check for $15 for the local LE office. If they do not do fingerprints there in the office they will send you to the detention center to get fingerprinted. You can leave it at that, but I chose to bring my completed fingerprint cards back to the sheriff's office to expedite things.

Lastly, you will have to go to WYDOT (same place you get your driver's license) and get your picture taken. That's it.

They're saying 3 months or so to get the call to go down and pick up your permit assuming there are no prohibiting factors in your background.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:30 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,084,598 times
google reciprocity laws in you state or state in question.
There are about 27 states that recognizes the N.C.'s Concealed permits.
I have had mine 15 years also.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
google reciprocity laws in you state or state in question.
There are about 27 states that recognizes the N.C.'s Concealed permits.
I have had mine 15 years also.
Missed the reciprocity part.... WY does NOT recognize a NY CCW, but you're good to go with your Florida permit. You can open carry most anywhere in Wyoming... I think places like gov't buildings and bars are the only ones off limits.

If you're planning on living in WY get the WY permit....there are no non-resident permits available in WY. Wyoming's is good with all surrounding states (and quite a few others) except for Nebraska.... I don't know of any permits (other than their own) that Nebraska honors.

You may want to consider a non-resident Utah permit as well... good in more states than any other permit IIRC.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,222,115 times
On the NRA website, they have a place to find out what state recognizes other states on permits and so forth. They even have a list of program instructors in each state.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,687,251 times
The guns laws here are a lot more lax and better than NY or Florida in my opinion....

Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,683,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
The guns laws here are a lot more lax and better than NY or Florida in my opinion....
The big advantage in Florida (and Utah, too) is that non-residents can get concealed weapons permits that are valid in the issuing state and other states that are reciprocal with those issuing states. Wyoming does not offer non-resident concealed weapons permits.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
The big advantage in Florida (and Utah, too) is that non-residents can get concealed weapons permits that are valid in the issuing state and other states that are reciprocal with those issuing states. Wyoming does not offer non-resident concealed weapons permits.
You're correct. However, with the number of states that have reciprocity with WY you can easily obtain a non-resident in a place like UT and be golden here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or