Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 08:52 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times

Advertisements

LB wrote: "Loveland area in June of 2019/next year. However, we are still wondering if we will be able to handle the winter months there"

the differences, if any, between Parker and Loveland for winter climate are miniscule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 05:55 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
LB wrote: "Loveland area in June of 2019/next year. However, we are still wondering if we will be able to handle the winter months there"

the differences, if any, between Parker and Loveland for winter climate are miniscule.
Well, from doing some research online, Parker does get more snow, because it's almost 1,000 feet higher than Loveland.

Parker: 5,869 ft. elevation

Loveland: 4,982 ft. elevation

Average yearly snow amount.....

Parker: 66 inches

Loveland 41 inches

Old 12-04-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, from doing some research online, Parker does get more snow, because it's almost 1,000 feet higher than Loveland.

Parker: 5,869 ft. elevation

Loveland: 4,982 ft. elevation

Average yearly snow amount.....

Parker: 66 inches

Loveland 41 inches
as I posted, this is a miniscule difference … the streets are cleared fairly comparably, so getting around isn't particularly affected. Ambient temps and winds are close … a few degrees difference isn't going to radically affect how you dress and your outdoor activities.

The advantage to Loveland is closer proximity to the Front Range foothills and lakes in the immediate area as well as being somewhat closer to the mountain lakes. OTOH, Parker puts you closer to the longer season lakes such as Pueblo Res.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:37 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
as I posted, this is a miniscule difference … the streets are cleared fairly comparably, so getting around isn't particularly affected. Ambient temps and winds are close … a few degrees difference isn't going to radically affect how you dress and your outdoor activities.

The advantage to Loveland is closer proximity to the Front Range foothills and lakes in the immediate area as well as being somewhat closer to the mountain lakes. OTOH, Parker puts you closer to the longer season lakes such as Pueblo Res.
Well, with our age, at moving time, of 70 and 71, we definitely wouldn't be doing much outdoors during the winter months. We didn't when we had our house in Parker from mid 2004 thru Oct 2007. Our time-of-the-year there is summer.
Couldn't/wouldn't move back to Parker. Wayyyyy to crowded for us now. Stopped by there this past July and was sort of surprised at how much it had changed.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:45 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
As said, falls happen anywhere. JAX has the occasional hurricane..... dealing with the aftermath of a serious one could be pretty hard on your health too! I say "head west, young man" LOL and enjoy it!

Old 12-04-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, with our age, at moving time, of 70 and 71, we definitely wouldn't be doing much outdoors during the winter months. (snip).
You folk aren't any older than me … and I'm on a working ranch/farm east of Cheyenne. Just the two of us handle 98% of the chores here, although I've reached a point in my life where I'll pay a fencing outfit to do the fencing instead of me setting all the posts and stringing the wire for new construction. Repairs? those need to be done in a timely manner, so it's get out the tools on the ATV and get 'er done.

In addition to the ranching/livestock chores, and keeping critters fed and livestock waterers clear … our lambing season starts in late March. So we're out in the barns and corrals during winter storms, and oft-times the woolies need attending to 24/7. We're back and forth from house to barns or from a camper we keep next to the barn during these times.

But it's not "all work" at this time of the year. On the clear winter days I can fly to Saratoga or Thermop for a hot soak … or visit friends in Aspen with a place near Conundrum Hot Springs. Doesn't take too long to fly to these places and I'm not driving on frequently messed up roads during that season.

As well, there's ice fishing in the local and regional lakes, some very accessible via 4x4 pick-up w/camper.

When we had horses, winter trail riding was a blast. Had to dress appropriately for this and not overheat the horses, but we had many days of fun in the sunny … yet cold … days.

And I've still go my workshop … doing boat repairs, and my own cars/trucks/farm equipment & machinery repairs.

From my perspective, the bottom line is if you're going to spend the 6-7 winter months here, you may want to revisit what activities are available and accessible to you rather than going into hermit mode for the winter season. Otherwise, I'd suggest that you consider snowbirding to warmer climes down south for the winter and return to the Front Range and mountains during the fair weather months for your boating season.

Alternatively, may I suggest that a primary residence in Colorado in this area is counter-productive to your lifestyle? Maybe moving to a warmer clime as your "home base" in the SW USA and then coming to the Rocky Mountain Region for a few summer/clear weather months? there's a lot of seasonal rentals and/or RV camping that may well suit your recreational pastimes in the fair weather months here and then you could skeedaddle back to your retirement base after Labor Day and before the snow flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming