Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2006, 01:47 AM
Tom Tom started this thread

4 posts, read 75,630 times

Advertisements

When I was in College (too many years ago) I drove past Chugwater on my way north to the Dakotas and afterwards headed home to the East Coast. I was taken with the name Chugwater as I whizzed by at 60+mph on I 25. I was and have remained curious what people do in a small, very rural, town like Chugwater. Where do most of the people work? Must they commute great distances to find employment? What is a Saturday night in Chugwater? What keeps people in Chugwater or draws them to it? For those of us who live in "populated" areas, these are natural questions, and I hope no one takes offence at the asking. Thanks, Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2006, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 16,708 times
Default My guess is...

Tom,
I am dreaming of moving out west from my current location east of the Chesapeake Bay, Stockton, MD. We love it here and will miss many things about this area. The main reasons we are looking west are family and drier climate. The humidity here is oppressive in the summer. I think we enjoy the natural environment here in Stockton just like the folks in Chugwater. Details are different I am guessing, we catch Striped Bass here they catch Cutthroat Trout there. We hunt Whitetail deer they hunt Elk there. We comb the beach here, they hike the mountains and desert there. We enjoy the rural lifestyle here and hope the lifestyle is similar there. The benefits of a rural lifestyle for us are less traffic, less pollution (noise, water, air, trash), beautiful starry skies, beautiful and magnificent nature, more personal and supportive community (everyone waves and speaks even if you don’t know the person; that doesn’t usually happen in more highly populated areas). What you have less of is shopping and malls, orchestra, opera and ballet. For me less shopping is a benefit. I can get the culture both through church, local theater and school orchestra etc, and by visiting other metropolitan locations. Then I get to leave the metropolis and return to the slower gentler pace of life in the rural lane.

The economy here is largely agricultural; land (crops and livestock) and water (fish and shellfish). Then there are the mandatory medical, retail and service businesses to fill in the needs. I expect the economy there is also largely agricultural. In addition to agriculture, I am learning that oil and mining seem to be important in that part of our country.

Where did you go to college? Have you been back for a visit since graduation?
Spur

Old 07-05-2006, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 105,988 times
Default Free land in Chugwater

I don't know what the day-to-day life is like, but have you heard they are giving away 'free' land in Chugwater? If you google Chugwater or free land Chugwater you will get more info. It looks pretty interesting - especially if you were really thinking of going there anyway.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:46 PM

14 posts, read 127,506 times
I am not very familar with Chugwater. I know that it's located right off I-25. I know that about 40 miles to the south is Cheyenne and about 25 miles to the north is Wheatland. I know that it's a very small town of about 250 people. I know they have the annual Chugwater Chilli Cookoff on the second Saturday in June. That's all I know about Chugwater.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:48 PM

14 posts, read 127,506 times
Hey - Chugwater has a website:

http://www.chugwater.com/contact.htm (broken link)

Old 08-16-2006, 03:35 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,248,207 times
Default Chugwater

There's not much to do in Chugwater. Most of the people there are farmers/ranchers. Some work at the school or the few small businesses in town or drive to Wheatland (25 miles) or Cheyenne (35 miles). I live in Wheatland. Lived in Minneapolis for 3 years - too populated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming