Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 01:26 PM

77 posts, read 92,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I have too much of a good thing going here. I'd be stupid to leave. As I mentioned, these are my kind of people here
Understood :-) Well at least to a point..I am kinda wondering more about this good thing..only because I am incredibly nosey at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_pastor View Post
There's nothing wrong with seeking a dream, having certain expectations, or hoping for certain things. When we left TN for Wyoming we had certain expectations. We dreamed of what lay ahead for us. Don't be afraid to dream. Know what to expect and go after it! Sounds like that is what you're doing.
I suppose you are right. I don't really consider my hopes to be dreams and try to avoid putting a lot of hope into worldly things... but.I do let myself dream from time to time..I'll try to free myself a little more to do so..wait..are you pastoring right now :-)?

Old 03-12-2018, 03:22 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirlca View Post
Understood :-) Well at least to a point..I am kinda wondering more about this good thing..only because I am incredibly nosey at times.
I have a good job and the town and state have my kind of people. I stayed in a place that was more toxic than I thought it was. There are a lot of nosy people in Rock Springs so you could be in good company there.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I have a good job and the town and state have my kind of people. I stayed in a place that was more toxic than I thought it was. There are a lot of nosy people in Rock Springs so you could be in good company there.
haha maybe so :-) lol good thing I don't care about people gossiping about me..I do like to know good things happening for folks..I am glad you found a good place for yourself!

Old 06-18-2018, 01:42 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirlca View Post
I am pretty slow going myself..it's why the minute I enter California or the even the outskirts coming in from Reno or out of the desert into socal my anxiety starts to climb. Living here is exhausting..normal to everyone is not speaking to one another, not helping, not opening the door or holding it for anyone, not letting anyone merge, rushing to eat, to work, to talk, to think, its insane..sometimes I have to hike every few days just to get a break from the stimulation..everything is a wait..just in terms of lines..ice cream, pizza, bathroom, gas, everything..and I am in the suburbs but my town has 80000 plus people in it..the cities around it have about 80,000 plus too. People think I am the nicest person ever here..because I stop and speak and say please and thank you ..and try to be helpful if someone looks lost..I thought that was normal..nope..not here in Califonia! I daydream about Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, and the open space there..I wanted Wyoming..but seriously I thought..pfft they aren't gonna let me come up there..but they have haha! Get ready I am a speed demon..just kidding..I am super snail slow..sometimes anyways

this couldn't be further from the truth.
I see it all the time here and am very sick of it.
Good submaritans get killed here for there kindness.
You got the line problem covered perfectly.
But you forgot about the tailgaters like I get a 4:00 to 5:00 AM.
Looks like i am going to have to leave earlier now.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
I’m a retired cop turned hay farmer, so basic legal questions like that are right up my alley. I can’t quote them all, but can at least paraphrase them and know where to look if I need to quote anything. So I’m not as smart as you think I am!

Most people here will give you the benefit of the doubt. But no matter where you go, there’s always a few knuckleheads in the crowd. Learn to quickly identify the knuckleheads and avoid them and you’ll be fine.

As a general rule, you will want to avoid beginning any sentence with “Well, back in California we did _____.” Learn this right now: WE DON’T CARE. “But in California it was ______”. SHUT UP. “Yes, but the way we did it in California was ______.” BILLY, GET THE DUCT TAPE. A picture should have started forming in your mind by now. Good. Remember that when you get here and you’ll be fine !!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Keep your car. I brought my little FWD Honda Civic with me from California, stuck some snow tires on her and she's gotten me everywhere I've needed to go without getting stuck once.

We sold a lot of stuff before we moved that wasn't a necessity. Keep the stuff you can't live without, but sell or give away all the extra non-necessity stuff.

I would say summer is a good time to move because the weather is better and it gives you time to learn your surroundings before the snow starts to fall. Moving at the end of November when we did was not great and I didn't even know where the lines of the road would be because it was snowed over. It wasn't until March when the snow started to melt that I found out some roads were actually two lanes!

You pay your registration once a year.

Local news station is from Salt Lake City which makes me chuckle since that's a whole other state, but whatever that's what they do up here.

Here in Star Valley we use something called Misty's List on Facebook and it's where people sell stuff, and also pass along information. That's where a lot of people go to ask about housing and jobs. You could try posting on Misty's list, but rock springs is a little out of our general area so you may not get a ton of help for housing/rentals, but maybe Rock Springs has it's own Facebook page similar to Misty's List that you can join and post there? Something else to look into.

Our family has been beyond happy living in Wyoming, and we wish you all the best in your new adventure!! It's a fantastic state to call home.

The Subaru's appear to be very popular here.

I already know the rear wheel drive cars i HAVE are the worst like Corvettes, Mustang GT 5.0 and Hell Cat Challengers.

You mentioned FWD Honda Civic Would a brand new 2019 Honda Civic SI R WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION model work?
These cars don't have ground clearance.

What are the majority of people there driving? Jeep Grand Cherokee (LOTS OF GROUND CLEARANCE) in the following models? 4x4, AWD or SRT v8 for PERFORMANCE?

or Toyota RAV 4 X 4?

Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,149,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
The Subaru's appear to be very popular here.

You mentioned FWD Honda Civic Would a brand new 2019 Honda Civic SI R WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION model work?
These cars don't have ground clearance.

If you're driving on paved roads, especially on in-town roads that are better maintained, the Civic will work in all but the worst inclement driving conditions.

Again, the issue is rarely "deep" snow. It's slick conditions from "black ice" and nominally thin layers of snow/moisture on top of the road.

If it's a deep enough snowstorm that such a car presents difficult driving conditions, it's more than likely that the storm front at the time makes it prudent to be off the roads … no matter what you're driving. Prudent drivers do take into account the prevailing weather conditions here as part of their trip planning and adjust their schedules in accordance with same. It's no joke, something you don't just "take for granted" around here … weather/winds are and will be a significant part of your life compared to many other parts of the country where you can ignore all but the few serious storms (if any) that present in the area.

What are the majority of people there driving? Jeep Grand Cherokee (LOTS OF GROUND CLEARANCE) in the following models? 4x4, AWD or SRT v8 for PERFORMANCE?

If you head to a parking lot, like I did yesterday in town … Sam's Club for shopping … you'll see a wide variety of FWD and AWD cars/SUV's/pick-up trucks.

But the one car marque that stands out with the most vehicles on the lot is Subaru. They're capable, durable, reasonably economical cars to use around here.

"performance" cars are not so prevalent. Why? because they're not very capable cars in inclement weather conditions. The driver with a 300+ HP car with all the go-fast goodies on it isn't going to get around any quicker or faster than the mid-100HP cars in those inclement driving conditions much of the year.

At that, it's a rare winter day that I can use all the 160 HP that my Subie OBW's have.

Given the expense of owning a "performance" car here for operation … fuel economy, insurance, registration … it's a justified expense only if you've got the disposable income and a "need" to have such a vehicle in your stable. Yes, you'll see a smattering of them on nice driving days, but for the most part you'll see more upline SUV's and pick-up trucks on the streets.

Highway speed limit here is 80 mph, in spots. Enforcement, while not necessarily aggressive, is out there and you'll not have many opportunities to go faster than prevailing traffic on the roads where moving along at a sporting pace could be "fun" in this state. Especially in those inclement weather months. Be assured that during fair weather "tourist season" months, you'll encounter a whole bunch of slower moving vehicles … see Jody's trip post from this last weekend. Lots of lost time in his travels due to traffic density and those slower moving vehicles on the road. Summer days and RV'ers don't make for sporting opportunities on the twisties around this state.

You may also get to deal with neighbors who don't appreciate your blasting through their area. For example, there's a county road near my farm that is the main thoroughfare from the outlying areas to connect with the paved roads/interstate access. From time to time the folk along that 30 mph posted road will complain about a preponderance of folk driving 40-70 mph on that stretch of road. Sooner or later, there will be a bit more aggressive presence of deputies and WHP on that road for a few days. They have their favorite hidden to traffic spots to park by the road and use their "instant on" radar to tag you when you come into view.

I saw such a set-up on the road this Sunday AM. The deputy was right there by the road waiting for his next suspect to crest the hill. Me? I was on cruise at 35 mph, thankfully so … deputy waved as I passed by. G'morning, deputy.

or Toyota RAV 4 X 4?

If yesterday was a typical indicator, there were far more Subies, Ford Expeditions, and Caddy Escalades than RAV's in the parking lots' typical Sunday shopping crowd in town.

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-18-2018 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-20-2018, 08:38 AM

788 posts, read 1,740,206 times
In Fremont county Rav4's are all over the place. I have to laugh, of the 12 homes on my block, 7 of us have Rav4's in the driveway. But you really can't go wrong with anything Toyota, Honda or Subaru.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
If yesterday was a typical indicator, there were far more Subies, Ford Expeditions, and Caddy Escalades than RAV's in the parking lots' typical Sunday shopping crowd in town.
Well there is always that Challenger with the V-6 engine with AWD that is suppose to be able to drive in the snow??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming