Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 12:55 PM

18 posts, read 19,559 times

Advertisements

my wife and I are both retired and are looking to move around the cody area, we was out last year and fell in love with the area,we are both avid wildlife photographers who love the outdoors.
just like to hear feedback on thoughts of the cody area and thingsto do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 04:28 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=32155643

Old 04-15-2018, 08:53 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Searches like Jody's don't last very long but it is a good idea.

I am not sure what you need to hear. These impressions come to mind:

Little snow, little rain in town. Plenty of snow in the mountains.

Pretty good amount of places to eat but may be busy. Good medical facilities for town of this size. Good rec center. Airport is a plus.

Wild places to go that are crowded and some that are not. Bighorn Basin- interesting to some, not to others.

Not that far from Billings or Casper.

Quiet in winter. Good for some, too quiet for others.

Home prices rising but not as high as many other fancier western destination towns.

Size might be considered about right, not too big or small. But some may disagree one way or other. It depends what you want vs don't or don't have to have.

Looking to buy or rent? Rough preferred price range and property style? What else besides wildlife photography is a priority? Any concerns?

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-15-2018 at 09:15 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 02:41 PM

18 posts, read 19,559 times
We are looking to buy a home for 300-350000,range. Would like to have a couple acres.would like to try and get something around the south fork Rd area,loved the views,or something similar.burger or pizza joint is all we need when we eat out.we like to spend as much time as we can outside, would like to have places to take the dogs,we live a very simple life

Old 04-16-2018, 03:35 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Searches like Jody's don't last very long but it is a good idea.

I am not sure what you need to hear. These impressions come to mind:

Little snow, little rain in town. Plenty of snow in the mountains.

Pretty good amount of places to eat but may be busy. Good medical facilities for town of this size. Good rec center. Airport is a plus.

Wild places to go that are crowded and some that are not. Bighorn Basin- interesting to some, not to others.

Not that far from Billings or Casper.

Quiet in winter. Good for some, too quiet for others.

Home prices rising but not as high as many other fancier western destination towns.

Size might be considered about right, not too big or small. But some may disagree one way or other. It depends what you want vs don't or don't have to have.

Looking to buy or rent? Rough preferred price range and property style? What else besides wildlife photography is a priority? Any concerns?
This is pretty much it. Those last questions are definitely important.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:11 PM

It might be tight on budget (depending on house size / quality) but it might be doable. Hit the real estate sites and ask for help. If your ideal property is out there, it might go fast; so get notified and consider. And if you are attracted to Cody, pretty good chance it works out.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:53 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw111 View Post
We are looking to buy a home for 300-350000,range. Would like to have a couple acres.would like to try and get something around the south fork Rd area,loved the views,or something similar.burger or pizza joint is all we need when we eat out.we like to spend as much time as we can outside, would like to have places to take the dogs,we live a very simple life
That will buy you a place. Come on out and do some shopping. You and your dogs will have a great life here.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Come down the road a little distance and look into Powell while you are in the area.

I prefer the Ag centric / College town / with medical. (and often much lower housing costs, and a LOT less traffic / tourist issues) for those seeking a 'simple-life'.

Cody has plenty to do, but having grown up in a tourist town (Estes Park)... I prefer to be on the outskirts and go to visit 'tourism' on my own terms.

YMMV.

For REALLY quiet... consider Burgess Jct.. That is my choice, my spouse says I will be VERY lonely there!

Old 05-24-2018, 05:49 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,029 times
I was up in Cody this past weekend visiting my four teenagers. If there was a well-paying tech (DoD) programming job up there, I'd leave Boulder CO in a heartbeat. I dined in four of the restaurants on the main street (Sheridan Ave?) and had great conversations with other diners at three of them. Everyone is friendly, folksy. It might get crazy during tourist season (congested) ?

Down the streets where my kids live with their mom, I saw more than a few "for sale" signs. May be a buyer's market, with all the comps on the market. Ex mentioned they were mostly in the $250K - $310K range.

When I flew into the Cody Airport last March a family I was chatting with while awaiting luggage offered me a ride "into town" where I was heading, told them I was renting an SUV to port my kids around. A nice gesture.

Just a couple anecdotes and random memories while my trip is fresh in my mind.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Cody and Powell has fiber internet? Didn't know that til today. Speeds up to 1 gig in select in town areas. Via TCT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming