Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 05:49 PM

507 posts, read 662,079 times

Advertisements

Came back that way not long ago. Since you will be going down hill at Baker Hill (Mtn Pass) won't have to worry about possible overheat like when going uphill and it's 115 degrees. (I actually came back 29 Palms, Amboy and Cima rather than Cajon)

Some construction in Vegas on 15. A short amount of stop and go, then moving again. Not bad at all. Instead of going 15 all the way to Salt Lake and then 80, you can cut off at Provo and save miles/time/traffic. Take University exit which is Hwy 189 and stay right lane at end of Provo. Goes up Provo Canyon (easy road, no worries) to Heber City. Then left at main intersection in Heber and same Hwy runs right into 80.

Another thing. You can stay on 15 in Utah, or I like to get off of 15 at last Cedar City exit and go up through Enoch, on the 2 lane. Very little traffic and nice and flat instead of up and down hills on 15. Goes up thru Minersville, Milford, Delta and Tintic/Eureka, then back into the 15 at Santaquin. I think it's only about a dozen or so miles more and nicer drive. Then only about a half hour back on 15 from Santaquin to Provo. You will discover that 80 is not the most scenic road in Wyo.

Warning: no convenient In-N-Out Burger after St George. There's one in Orem, one in American Fork, but they aren't on the freeway and they don't have crossed palm trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 05:56 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,288,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
Came back that way not long ago. Since you will be going down hill at Baker Hill (Mtn Pass) won't have to worry about possible overheat like when going uphill and it's 115 degrees. (I actually came back 29 Palms, Amboy and Cima rather than Cajon)

Some construction in Vegas on 15. A short amount of stop and go, then moving again. Not bad at all. Instead of going 15 all the way to Salt Lake and then 80, you can cut off at Provo and save miles/time/traffic. Take University exit which is Hwy 189 and stay right lane at end of Provo. Goes up Provo Canyon (easy road, no worries) to Heber City. Then left at main intersection in Heber and same Hwy runs right into 80.

Another thing. You can stay on 15 in Utah, or I like to get off of 15 at last Cedar City exit and go up through Enoch, on the 2 lane. Very little traffic and nice and flat instead of up and down hills on 15. Goes up thru Minersville, Milford, Delta and Tintic/Eureka, then back into the 15 at Santaquin. I think it's only about a dozen or so miles more and nicer drive. Then only about a half hour back on 15 from Santaquin to Provo. You will discover that 80 is not the most scenic road in Wyo.

Warning: no convenient In-N-Out Burger after St George. There's one in Orem, one in American Fork, but they aren't on the freeway and they don't have crossed palm trees.
have cut thru Provo canyon hundreds of times...., 89 Ogden to Brigham city, right time of year there a lot of fruit stands....

Old 06-29-2018, 06:25 PM

507 posts, read 662,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
have cut thru Provo canyon hundreds of times...., 89 Ogden to Brigham city, right time of year there a lot of fruit stands....
Fruit stands are like around Willard, eh?

Come to think of it...the In N Out in American Fork is close to 15, but then you are going to 80 via SLC.
Kneaders is a good place to stop in Heber, or that burger joint further down with the train theme.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:53 PM

77 posts, read 92,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
Bodega Bay is nice. Didn't spend much time there, but that area down to Pt Reyes and Stinson Beach is nice. It's been awhile, but there were still cattle ranches in the area. Liked to stay in Novato. It felt like a real town. Probably different now. Could be happy and never go over the bridge south. Little bitty hamburger place across from the marina in Sausalito,
a Greek guy I think. Really good burgers and go picnic at the marina, but parking was a hassle last time there. Only stopped in Truckee once at Pizza Hut, but like the feel of Auburn, stayed there several times.
Wow you really know California :-) I love Stinson beach ! Novato is definelty not a town these days but the north Bay is slower and calmer then the south and east bays for sure. Auburn is pretty cool..truckee is a little commercialized but still pretty cute.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:57 PM

77 posts, read 92,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
Interesting to find this topic. I'm a little embarrassed to ask this, but my dear friend is escaping Southern California this weekend and has chosen southern WY of all places! You have a beautiful state and I might drive out there next weekend to help him with the final move.

I have always wanted to drive cross-country, but have never done so. How is the drive to WY? It looks like a simple enough drive on the 15 and 80. I've been through the mountain passes to Las Vegas and can handle that. It's the narrow, steep, winding mountain roads without side barriers that I do not like. I can't swim, nor can I fly, so don't want to accidentally drive over a cliff.

Thanks.
I've driven to SW WY about 2 times this month and I'll have to a couple more times. I only take 80 though and its about 13 hours. The only part of our route that is similar is the 80 pick up you take after SLC. Its pretty easy from there...dunno about 15 but 80 through the Sierras with the cliffs and drops aren't too bad to me dunno if 15 is better or worse than the Sierra portion of 80 though. You'll be ok! Hopefully 15 isn't too bad!

Old 06-29-2018, 11:25 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,730 times
Well, thanks so much for all the input. My friend said he'll Google Earth the route tonight and I'll pass on your tips. It'll be a 15 hr trip to SE WY, but he'll stretch it out to 3 days. He will probably just stay on the main hwys on this first drive. Glad it's not...wait, it IS summer.

The cool, breezy weather here in Southern California makes me forget that it's summer. Just checked WY weather and not bad, except the humidity. I never thought it would be humid there, but I haven't ventured out much .

Thanks again and hope to visit your state in the near future.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 6,364 times
Let me tell you a thing about California since I lived here for nearly all of my life. The typical stigma that Californian's get, from folks who live outside of the state, generate from what those people see, hear and experience either in person, or on TV either through the news or hollywood or on vacation or seeing our people and plates in National Parks and hotspot vacation areas. The state gets a horrible rap based on our metro areas. California is a beautiful state inhabited by too many people. 39 million to be exact. And even though we claim to be the 5th largest economy in the world, our highways and roads are ****, for the most part it is way too expensive to live, and we are taxed to no end. That being said, the norhtern part of the state is staunchly republican (with exception to the northern coast) and is loaded with conservatives, farmers, ranchers and outdoorsy type folks. For nearly 60 years the norther sectin has made several attempts to seperate into a new state. Similar type environment can be found along the eastern line. The issue, and hence the reason why you see the intense evacuation is that these people are the minority when compared to the metro areas of SF Bay, LA and the the southern coastline. I too will be one of those people who leave here, gladly, and move to Wyoming to enjoy everything WYO has to offer and NOT change it one bit. I only ask that if someone from California moves to your town, you feel them out a bit. You might get a Wyomingite who has been living in California all along.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 PM

400 posts, read 453,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsvns View Post
Let me tell you a thing about California since I lived here for nearly all of my life. The typical stigma that Californian's get, from folks who live outside of the state, generate from what those people see, hear and experience either in person, or on TV either through the news or hollywood or on vacation or seeing our people and plates in National Parks and hotspot vacation areas. The state gets a horrible rap based on our metro areas. California is a beautiful state inhabited by too many people. 39 million to be exact. And even though we claim to be the 5th largest economy in the world, our highways and roads are ****, for the most part it is way too expensive to live, and we are taxed to no end. That being said, the norhtern part of the state is staunchly republican (with exception to the northern coast) and is loaded with conservatives, farmers, ranchers and outdoorsy type folks. For nearly 60 years the norther sectin has made several attempts to seperate into a new state. Similar type environment can be found along the eastern line. The issue, and hence the reason why you see the intense evacuation is that these people are the minority when compared to the metro areas of SF Bay, LA and the the southern coastline. I too will be one of those people who leave here, gladly, and move to Wyoming to enjoy everything WYO has to offer and NOT change it one bit. I only ask that if someone from California moves to your town, you feel them out a bit. You might get a Wyomingite who has been living in California all along.
You will fit in just fine. Welcome home.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:16 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsvns View Post
The problem is that in Wyoming most people will just hear California and dismiss the fact that not all Californians are from the cities. Hell I relocated from Montana but was still considered an outsider. That's like someone in Mississippi saying someone from Alabama is so vastly different.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,732 times
Y'all got me a little scared. Afraid we will be judged not on our character and beliefs but rather that we had the misfortune of stupidly living in Ca. Hubbyand I currently live in the foothills in Nor Cal. (Small ranch farming town)
Planning to fly out to Sheridan next week for a job interview. We currently have a great place here, small ranch, we run cattle and have sheep and chickens. Where we are now it's very Republican and conservative. We shoot our guns and live simply. But California has never felt like home to us. Moved here from Northern Nevada cause family convinced us to move closer when our son was born. That was back in 2003 and economy in Nevada tanked. Hubby works for John Deere as a master tech and we bleed green.
I lived in places like Minnesota when I was a kid and am no stranger to cold and snow. Hubby grew up on an 800 acre cattle ranch.
Just looking for a better life for our son who is 15 now. He is big into playing high school football.
So tired of California politics and the sinking ship this state is. Hoping we will be welcomed there in Sheridan.
Just want a place that actually feels like home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming