Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM

3,635 posts, read 6,224,528 times

Advertisements

took of early from cabin creek last Thursday. stopped in Gillette and got a mattress. fuel Casper. late lunch Riverton, top off tank. pretty ride over Towagatee not much traffic till Moran Jct. So slow ride to Jackson , over a hour to get thru Jackson and down thru south park, traffic in town construction south of tow. Got to SV to Mom's house( well she has a life estate on it since we sold the ranch) spent Friday going thru My wife's parents stuff , and furniture and book, we loaded into the 5th wheel . Sue visited her sister for awhile Saturday then we headed to SLC , unloaded half the furniture and mattress at our Son new apartment. OH thank the Lord he made people to live in cities and towns so I don't have too. Only made it back to Evanston for the night. Over stopped at Wamsutter , so packed couldn't get to a pump and lines to the bathroom . So stop in Rawlins . Then line for a Father's day lunch in Casper and a stock up at Sam's club. then Finally home ,1350 miles......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 11:26 AM

11,548 posts, read 52,913,295 times
Jody … You're a "glutton for punishment" with a forced march like this trip. 400+ miles per day driving and all the work you did on top of that … sorting/loading/unloading … and what must have been very short visits with family …

would it have hurt to have taken another day or two to make such a journey?

Old 06-18-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Jody … You're a "glutton for punishment" with a forced march like this trip. 400+ miles per day driving and all the work you did on top of that … sorting/loading/unloading … and what must have been very short visits with family …

would it have hurt to have taken another day or two to make such a journey?
well in-laws visit wasn't very enjoyable, we loaded mom up and brought her back with us to spend a few weeks . But I had to be back for a business deal in Sundance this afternoon... trailers is in a shed good rain here and too much mud too unload....which is a good thing...

Old 06-18-2018, 03:25 PM

385 posts, read 433,281 times
I hate dragging a trailer through Salt Lake City. HATE IT !!!!!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,134,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
I hate dragging a trailer through Salt Lake City. HATE IT !!!!!
I hate just driving a car through on I-80! I remember before I-80 connected through town that I couldn't wait until the interstate was finished. It's finished now, but the drive through the city is not much better, not for someone who's not familiar with it.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:39 AM

385 posts, read 433,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I hate just driving a car through on I-80! I remember before I-80 connected through town that I couldn't wait until the interstate was finished. It's finished now, but the drive through the city is not much better, not for someone who's not familiar with it.
Indeed. But I think I-15 could be even worse. The “big city” driving goes on forever with one city continually blending into the next.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:47 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,339,300 times
Yup. But hey...whatever you do...DON'T stop painting 'wonderful' pictures for all the urban-diaspora who continually-post on here, wanting any/all facts & figures involved in relocating here...

...cuz we really really WANT more people coming here, to add to our population...

Right ? That's what we're promoting on Wyo.CD, is'nt it ? We want M.O.R.E. people moving here ?

Be VERY mindful what you wish for...that's all I'm saying...because it won't be long before the increased noise & confusion we are currently experiencing (due to increased tourist-traffic during summer-months) will be PERMANENT.

Seriously...am I the ONLY one who see's this coming ? ? ?

Last edited by Ltdumbear; 06-19-2018 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 12:12 PM

11,548 posts, read 52,913,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Yup. But hey...whatever you do...DON'T stop painting 'wonderful' pictures for all the urban-diaspora who continually-post on here, wanting any/all facts & figures involved in relocating here...

...cuz we really really WANT more people coming here, to add to our population...

Right ? That's what we're promoting on Wyo.CD, is'nt it ? We want M.O.R.E. people moving here ?

Be VERY mindful what you wish for...that's all I'm saying...because it won't be long before the increased noise & confusion we are currently experiencing (due to increased tourist-traffic during summer-months) will be PERMANENT.

Seriously...am I the ONLY one who see's this coming ? ? ?
y'know …

I've been taken to task so many times on this forum through the years by so many people … on the forum and in DM's …

for posting my observations and opinions about living here, which really "burst the bubble" for so many people about what it's really like to move to and/or live in Wyoming. Especially those coming from low altitude riparian climate states, or even those northern tier states at low elevations.

the reality here is far different than the perceptions many folk have that all of Wyoming is Jackson and YNP and "easy living" on the cheap because we're really "out in the sticks" which is where the cheap living is to be found for them "back home".

the paradigm that so many people assume that they'll have all the conveniences, medical, shopping, entertainment, and so forth that they take for granted "back home" while having lots of cheap acreage where they'll keep livestock for nothing and have green lush pastures without any effort to maintain a herd of horses on a couple acres …

we know that it doesn't exist. But that's the Pollyanna that so many people think is here and that they should have.

funny, too … how many times I've been assaulted on these pages for merely suggesting that folk might want to come out here for a visit or two (in clear weather months and then in the winter) to see what's really here. Amazing how many ignorant folk who've never been here get pretty upset with me to suggest that what's here might not be what they "KNOW" is here … because I'm just trying to be the last one that moved here and slam the gate on anybody else finding buried treasure here. Many of them post that they don't have the resources to come here for a scouting visit, that if they hit the road to come here they're moving here, period. The reality for many of them is if they actually make the trip here, they "discover" for themselves why Wyoming isn't a "good fit" for them. It's not because I've suggested it might not be based on their expectations and their litany of what they think Wyoming offers to them … it's because they come here and discover that it really isn't what they expected, wanted, or needed. Hence so many of the "gone in 2" folk that move here and move on as quickly as possible for them.

the reality is that this place won't work for most folk thinking about moving here … the economics, the weather, the winds, the dry climate, lack of entertainment, the vast distances to access "normal" needs in life … simply aren't in conformity with what most people think they're entitled to or assume will be here. Most disappointed are the people who think that all the outdoor recreation is going to be 24/7/365 "right off their doorstep" and there's no real exertion/effort needed on their part to be hunting & fishing every day. The reality is somewhat quite different … one generally has to drive some distance to access any of the outdoor recreation and it's not all accessible all year long. Something called "winter" shows up most years and blocks ready access to so much of the recreation areas. At that, it's not "free" to get there or be there … it takes significant resources to be out in the backcountry … which is quite different for so many folk where lakes and streams and rivers abound with nearby free public access, or back country hunting is as close as "down the road a little bit".

And then there's posters here who actively discourage newcomers or disparage what's here because any new population influx changes what's been here for a century …

PS: as one who moved to Colorado in 1964 and watched the population explosion of the ensuing decades totally changing the values and opportunities there, I've had first hand experience in a real change in the state's population, economy, society, and access. 'twas long past time for me to move on by the mid-1990's and Wyoming has proven to be a good choice for me. But in my discoveries here, I've found that what appeals to me isn't what appeals to most folk that consider moving to Wyoming today. I think that fears that Wyoming will be overwhelmed by population influx soon are unfounded …. the census data suggests very slow growth and the economic base isn't here to support a huge influx.

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-19-2018 at 12:37 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 01:20 PM

there some small population booms, more subdivisions, areas like Star Valley . But land price, housing cost and job availability are big factors . Crook county with the black hills would seem to be a developers dream... but no jobs, poor or no water, and distance for any needs ,helps play that down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming