Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 11,720 times

Advertisements

My husband is interviewing next week with a large company in Casper. I was curious if Casper is a good family oriented town? We have a 6 year-old that we like to do fun stuff with. Are the schools good? What about crime and drugs?
Is Casper boreing? Is there a mall? Resturants? Can anyone tell me about Casper, and the surrounding towns?

I can find a lot of info on Cheyenne, but not on Casper?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 PM

14 posts, read 59,230 times
http://www.casperwyoming.org/

http://www.casperwyoming.info/

http://www.trib.com/

http://www.hellocasper.com/

http://www.muninetguide.com/states/w...ity/Casper.php

Here are some basic websites for Casper. I personally don't know much except it's at about the same altitude as Denver and I know they have a mall. I think it used to be the largest city in Wyoming but now Cheyenne is bigger.
Here is another site where you can put in a zip code and it tells all sorts of interesting things about the town you are looking for: (it's kinda a fun site)
//www.city-data.com/

One of the zip codes for Casper is:82601

Hope some of this helps

Old 12-15-2007, 01:28 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
From day to day, Cheyenne and Casper change as "The largest town". haha They used to post billboards, "Largest town". Now they've stopped arguing and have left it alone.

Casper is located at the top end of the wind tunnel. As such, you'll encounter a bit of wind from time to time.

Schools are great. Wyoming has some great laws in place to make sure the schools are acceptable.

Casper and malls. Well, what do you need a mall for? Personally, I stay away from malls. There are plenty of stores, mom and pop type, on every corner.

Crime? Wyoming is listed as the 5th safest state to live in.

We only have 500,000 people in the entire state. So towns of 60,000 to us, are big cities. Your looking at a big city. There is plenty to do there. Your kids will have a great time. But like any "Big City", drugs are a problem and you need to talk with your kids about them. I'm not saying the city is over run by drug addicts. I'm saying they are available, but talk with your kids.

I raised 6 of my 7 kids in this state. None of them touched drugs. But it was because we discussed it and weighed the pro's and con's.

Casper is a great place. Casper Mountain and the mountains around that are an excellent place for recreation. Hunting, fishing, skating on the lakes, snow mobiling, back packing, hiking, camping, or even just driving through and enjoying the sights. If you set at home and veg, the kids will create their own environment. If you get out and do something, they'll be fine.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 62,352 times
the large car company is that greiner

Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 11,720 times
Well, we went to Casper, and I wasn't impressed. The town itself is mostly very old. There is a new part that is nice with Wal-mart and Starbucks. Downtown looks nice from a far, till you get there. I understand it is an old mining town but goodness, it needs a face lift.
And.... Liquor stores every few blocks. I don't think big cities have as many as Casper. That sends a message to me that may be it is depressing???? Am I wrong

Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyLynn View Post
Well, we went to Casper, and I wasn't impressed. The town itself is mostly very old. There is a new part that is nice with Wal-mart and Starbucks. Downtown looks nice from a far, till you get there. I understand it is an old mining town but goodness, it needs a face lift.
And.... Liquor stores every few blocks. I don't think big cities have as many as Casper. That sends a message to me that may be it is depressing???? Am I wrong
Yes, I would say you were wrong. The reason I say that is in most states, liquor or beer or wine is available in grocery stores, 7/11, Mavericks, the local filling station, and liquor stores. In Wyoming, you can only purchase beer in a liquor store.

So when you count the liquor stores in your town, count the Safeway Store, the gas station, the 7/11, the Circle K, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, K-Mart and any other place you can buy beer. You'll find that your town has as many, if not more.

We fought hard to keep Wal-Mart and Starbucks out of this state. Here, we make our coffee in our kitchen. And the neighbor comes over and knocks once, walks into the kitchen, grabs a cup, and helps himself.

What do you consider old? Doesn't have glitter and flashing signs and neon and mirrors in every store window? We kind of like old. New York can keep the glitter, the flashing lights and such.

This is Wyoming. It's a ranching and mining state. That's what gives it it's charm.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
I may be moving to Casper in the near future... but it's just me (I'm 24 years old) and my beagle..

Any other information anyone has to share about Casper that might be important would be great if you'd pass it along.

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyLynn View Post
Nothing personal but Wyoming isn't for everyone. I personally like it due to the lack of people (though at 1/2 a million, it's starting to get crowded) and the older un-"face-lifted"ness of it. City folk should probably not apply.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:00 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
We fought hard to keep Wal-Mart and Starbucks out of this state.
That I don't like the sound of. I always got the impression that Wyoming was a bit Libertarian at heart.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
That I don't like the sound of. I always got the impression that Wyoming was a bit Libertarian at heart.
Let me explain. Sheridan was full of mom and pop stores and employed a lot of local folks to keep them going. They were friendly, they knew the people, they greeted you with a smile and talked to you. They're not here anymore. Wal-Mart drove them into the dirt. Sure, Wal-Mart hires a person to greet you, smile, and shove a cart in your face. But those folks are hired and paid to act nice. Oh, and they're only part time so most can't get good health insurance or benefits because "Big Corp" is in town. There's several small buildings that used to be appliance stores, grocery stores, clothing stores and such that are empty.

We had a half dozen different little portable buildings around town where you could get drive up coffee, donuts, or pastrys. Had a bagel shop that people used to gather at. Most is gone now and the rest will be gone when Starbucks opens up.

The problem with both things is this. When we had a half dozen grocery stores and a blizzard blew in and knocked out power. Well, the person at the checkout knew how to count change and kept right on going. They could add, subtract, multiply and divide and be able to tally up your purchase and count out your change. They're closed now. You either shop at Wal-Mart or you starve. But when Wal-Mart looses power, they don't know how to count change because they're not trained for it. Plus, Wal-Mart management won't allow it. So everything comes to a stand still.

I'm not saying Wal-Mart is bad, but the way of dealing with people has changed in this small town.

Is it for the good? I dunno. All the stores we had before, you could get anything you wanted. They're gone. Now you can get what Wal-Mart wants you to get.

By the way. Politics got nothing to do with this. Politics is when we elect an official to represent us in Washington, pay them well, furnish a lot of stuff, and then they represent us by voting 42% of the time. We pay them 100% of the time though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming