U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 02:06 AM

32 posts, read 41,023 times

Advertisements

branDcalf, thanks for your encouraging words about Powell and Sheridan. I had to chuckle about your visit to the UP and only seeing the sun for about two hours-- Sounds very familiar! I am sorry it was so gloomy during your visit, to me when the sun shines there, it is a glorious, awesome place, and I have seen Superior turn a clear turquoise that rivals the Carribean on those days. But when the sky is a sulky gray over dark gray water , it is just depressing!

You sound just like my husband concerning the trees-- He says he likes to be able to see what's coming at him. I agree, I love the wide open spaces and start to crave the sunshine if I don't see it for a couple of days. I love the big water, but the sunshine is even better.

We were not too far from Ironwood, in Ontonagon. We went to Ironwood for a wal mart run about once a month. That is a long drive with nothing to see but trees and more trees!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 08:47 AM

69 posts, read 33,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star in Hand View Post
My hubby has never in his life been to a rodeo, I on the other hand grew up going to the rodeo all the time. That is a goal for when we move to Wyoming, to introduce him to the awesome thing known as the rodeo!
!
Awesome !!! Also good to know the difference between a traditional rodeo and a strictly bull riding event .

Old 10-15-2018, 11:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,145 posts, read 45,288,389 times
OP, do check out NE WY and Spearfish / Sturgis, SD on your way back through.

All are viable options.

Generally speaking...
Powell is my favorite,
Sheridan
Spearfish

(choosing college towns for more diverse activities / economy.) I prefer to be near a hub airport, so none of these work at the moment... hopefully later. (I frequent Asia for PT consulting work and healthcare)

Long term / pre-final resting place will be WY Pioneer Home (Thermopolis)

After that... 'pushing-up-daisies'

Best of luck on the PSD repair today!
Hope you are on your way shortly!

Being from UP, you probably already have your 'heated Racor water separation / Pre-Fuel-filter', if not... consider how much happier your Inj pump ($$$$) will be with DRY / warm winter fuel! <($$$) I replace elements every Oct (<($$))

Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM

Vaquero--Yes, that is a good idea, Thanks!

Hi Rabbit- Thanks so much for all your great points to consider, they are all much appreciated! We are hoping to hear from Ford soon on a diagnosis, fingers crossed it can be remedied quickly. We are anxious to get going and see more of this awesome state!

I will pass your info about the Racor Pre Fuel filter to my hubby....that is more his line of experience! I am not sure if we have one, but it sounds like a great thing to have. Thanks for suggesting it!

The WY Pioneer Home in Thermopolis sounds like a nice place to be put out to pasture, hopefully we won't need it for a while, but will keep it in mind for when the time comes.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:53 PM

6,127 posts, read 4,303,337 times
Quote:
Thanks for your info on the care in Billings, NDak! I am glad to hear they provide good care, since they would be the closest big hospital. That is a definiate plus for Powell and Sheridan areas!

I have read a little bit about the little community of Clark on CD, do you know much about it? From the pics it looks like a pretty area. I love my solitude, but think we would need a little bit bigger sized town. Just kinda curious about it though.

Your comment about chilly, rainy Memorial days made me chuckle. I am originally a Georgia girl, for the first 25 years of life any way. Our first year in the UP I was determined to go to the beach (Superior) for my birthday, which is the first week of May. Well, we went, it was 45 degrees with a stout north wind coming off the big lake. Just about froze, that was my first clue Spring was gonna show up late there!
Hi SIH, I'm coming into this conversation a bit late but saw your question about Clark so thought I'd chime in (live in Cody). Clark is located 30 minutes from Cody and is very isolated. River runs alongside it (great fishing), surrounded by rugged mountains, notorious for wind (not just wind - WIND!!!) and grizzly bears. Someone told us not long after we were here the second time (long story ) that people in Wyoming liked to be left alone, but people in Clark REALLY liked to be left alone. I know a real estate woman who won't show property in Clark because of fear of bears, and another woman who refused to deliver there while working at UPS because the people creeped her out. Can't speak to the latter, but we love to visit Clark. Gorgeous scenery, gorgeous river, gorgeous mountains.

We decided against buying there because it was too far removed from a hospital (husband needs closer proximity, and it's 30 mins to Cody in the summer - winter is a whole 'nother ball game). Also I own a small business and didn't want to commute, although I know a couple of people who do.

Be wary of pictures online of Clark - they doctor many of the pictures and it's not as green as those pics show. Go see it for yourself if seriously considering the area. Bear in the mind the strong winds (think of winds so strong that it rolls up the ashpalt road), how isolated the community is from a town, how long and how tough the winters can be. But property is cheaper there and presumably many who live there love it there. A volunteer fire department. Active community center.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 PM

Thanks Juneau! I appreciate your honest assessment of Clark. It sounds like one of those places that some people love and never want to leave unless in a pine box, and others can't get out of there fast enough. It seems a little too isolated for us, we too need better access to medical care. There seems to be a lot of el cheapo properties there, with like you said, prettied up pics posted online. Never a good sign. But, your description sounds lovely, so we may go to Clark just to see the scenery, and maybe a bear

We love the idea of Powell, but are open to anywhere in the northern three quarters of the state. We would be happy just about anywhere north if I-80.

I have to admit, just looking at houses online in almost every town over 500 population gives us a bit of sticker shock. I am afraid it kinda boggles my mind how much houses/land are in Wyoming. We would like to have just a couple of acres for a garden, etc, but it seems that unless you have at least $325,000, you can forget it. Prices here are just a lot more than we are accustomed to in the upper Midwest. I am sure living in WY is worth it, and we will most likely suck it up and pay the price because we think the quality of life here would be worth it.

But, I feel like I must be missing a part of the puzzle, how do the people who are not pulling in pretty big bucks ever afford to buy a home? Hubby is retired Navy and I work from home, so we are bringing our good paying job and retirement with us. But it makes me wonder how do people who work at wal mart, gas stations, restaurants afford to buy homes here? Just curious, can any one fill in the blanks and enlighten me?

Last edited by Star in Hand; 10-15-2018 at 10:58 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 12:48 AM

7,829 posts, read 13,439,772 times
If an area seems to have a lot of too-cheap properties, there's probably a reason -- poor or absent water, electric, access, soil, roads, houses sliding downhill, etc -- and they count on selling sight-unseen to out-of-area "investors" who when they eventually visit, go "I bought what??" and back on the market it goes. When a lot of 'em are owned by realtors, it's usually cuz they're buying up tax sales to flip, repo, and resell, and a bunch of such together is not a good sign. I know there's a guy flipping junk acreage out in the nowhere of central Wyoming (ran across a bunch when we were looking)... looked closer and there's no legal access, nearest road and power miles away, and I know they've heard of water, cuz it falls from the sky once or twice a year...

I'd guess most local born-and-bred, if they own a house, bought it before the big spike, and otherwise it's people coming with out-of-state money. As you say not realistic anymore for the Walmart crowd. Renting is cheaper, if you don't really need to own your place. Older neighborhoods, tho, sometimes you can do a lot better there, since they're not as fashionable and may not pull the price of a newer subdivision.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:12 AM

Thanks, Rez! All great points, we have seen those too good to be true listings that are in the middle of nowhere, too. I bet they do just love out of state buyers who buy sight unseen.

Out of curiosity, when was the big spike you referred to?

I heard a guy today talking about if prop 112 in Colorado passes the whole state of Wyoming will be over run with Coloradans and prices will spike again. Something about gas and oil drilling, I think he said. I would hate to see Wyoming get over run, the desolation and low population is one of the best things about it.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:19 AM

6,127 posts, read 4,303,337 times
Quote:
Thanks, Rez! All great points, we have seen those too good to be true listings that are in the middle of nowhere, too. I bet they do just love out of state buyers who buy sight unseen.

Out of curiosity, when was the big spike you referred to?

I heard a guy today talking about if prop 112 in Colorado passes the whole state of Wyoming will be over run with Coloradans and prices will spike again. Something about gas and oil drilling, I think he said. I would hate to see Wyoming get over run, the desolation and low population is one of the best things about it.
The population has been pretty stable for years now. People move in. People move out. It is a very rugged state, very isolated, few amenities that many people are used to - shopping, culture, restaurants etc. Very long winters and wind. Not a whole lot of quality jobs. Those kinds of indicators tend to weed a lot of people out. And as you mentioned, housing is not cheap.

Husband and I are from Tennessee, and sticker shock is real. When we made it back to Cody this time we spent months looking around Big Horn County (Cowley, Lovell, Greybull, Basin etc.) at homes, thinking "well........they're CLOSE to Cody". We found a couple of decent homes but held off, and couldn't quite pin down why. When we finally found a home in Powell that looked good on paper and we STILL didn't pull the trigger we finally came to the realization that we didn't want to settle. We wanted to be in Cody, and finally decided that if we had to rent for the rest of our lives then that's what we would do.

A few months later we bought a home out the South Fork - a well insulated and newer double wide on a permanent foundation, with a huge shop and an acre of land. The best part? Two miles from Buffalo Bill Reservoir (husband likes to fish and I like to kayak). Love it here. Love it.

Couple of thoughts - anything under $200,000 and people are swarming all over it. This is a great time of year because people who want to sell REALLY want to offload before winter hits. Strongly suggest you rent for a while though - get your feet underneath you here in Wyoming. You can visit towns during road trips-house hunting trips but until you actually LIVE in a place you don't know and understand the place.

Powell is an awesome little town. More culture than normal for a town that size because of the 2-year college. Basically crappy restaurants but that's not exclusive to Powell. Nice little small town main street. Great views of the Big Horn Mountains. Much quieter in the summer than Cody because less tourists. Housing prices used to be much lower than Cody but are gaining fast. Farming community.

Very good VA clinic in Cody. Just opened a few months ago - responsive, caring, can usually get in to see someone fairly quickly. My husband has had some tests done through civilian clinics (both in Cody and Billings) that the VA has approved (ie. good not to have to go to the main VA hospital in Sheridan, which is a huge PIA during the winter). A nice change from the VA in Murfreesboro TN (on his last visit to THAT hell hole I looked at my husband and said "you're not coming here again").

Totally different world here. Extraordinary place. Beautiful scenery. Abundant wild life. Amazing isolation (wide open spaces and very few faces). Mountains, rivers, lakes, close to the park. Good, decent people (for the most part - they can be stupid when it comes to real estate though - there will be times in your home search when you'll look at each other and say "these people have no shame"). Really.........rent for a while.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 AM

3,130 posts, read 4,959,662 times
home and land prices, first off the Government owns just about 50% of the land in the state. think it over 90% in Teton County. Then Teton , Sublette, Carbon and Sheridan counties, there are conservation easements on some medium to large ranches that prohibit development. So areas of limited supply.. not many subdivisions out side of Rawlins. Big money , for retirement or 2nd or even 3rd homes. Big wages from mining, gas, oil jobs. Zoning and subdivision laws in some counties push prices higher too. Location always affects too people want rim rock, trees, mountains , running water, green , they all rise prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming