Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 10:24 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star in Hand View Post
Out of curiosity, when was the big spike you referred to?
Starting back around 2003ish and for the next few years before the loan crash.

Quote:
I heard a guy today talking about if prop 112 in Colorado passes the whole state of Wyoming will be over run with Coloradans and prices will spike again. Something about gas and oil drilling, I think he said. I would hate to see Wyoming get over run, the desolation and low population is one of the best things about it.
No idea, but there's a lot of Wyoming that city folks would look at and go OMG, where am I ... and where are they going to work? pointless growth makes contractors happy, but if there's nothing else driving it, eventually winds up all service jobs and foreclosures. And if they lose good jobs in Colorado, that doesn't mean equally good replacement jobs suddenly appear in Wyoming.

<looks it up> Here's a quick explanation, with maps and stuff.
Colorado Proposition 112. Calculating Impact to Mineral Value. | PetroValues Blog
Here's the bill and some other commentary:
https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado_Pro...ive_%282018%29

<reads bill text>
It's a rare piece of ground that's not within 2500 feet of some seasonal puddle (which qualifies), so yeah, this is meant to kill ALL new oil and gas development. The real kicker is the intentionally-vague "and any additional vulnerable areas designated by the state or a local government" -- that's going to patchwork the landscape such that the entire state is affected. A really strict reading and a sympathetic court could even prevent laying natural gas pipe to new housing developments. IMO the bill falls under "be careful what you wish for." Especially as I could not determine who is really backing it (these things are never truly grassroots), but given the endorsement list, I have my suspicions.

[I would cynically point out that "grassroots support" is often visualized for public consumption by Group A creating Groups B, C, D, E, and F, then exclaiming that there are now oh-so-many backers; and that the bill might be better named "Now Everyone Has To Grow Pot For A Living."]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 08:01 PM

32 posts, read 49,200 times
Thanks Rez, Juneau and Jody. All are great points to give more thought and research into.

Juneau, I am happy for you that you found your perfect spot. It sounds lovely, it would be great to be able to fish or kayak so close by! Having lived in East Tenn. at one point years ago, I definitely can see your point about the VA there. We are in the beginning stages of the process, much more research and possibly renting for a period of time is the plan.

Jody, thanks for pointing out the info about how little land in Wyoming is not owned by the Govt., it makes more sense now why prices would be so high, it all comes down to supply and demand, I suppose.

Rez., did some reading on your links provided, (thanks), it does seem like prop 112 is way too ambiguous and would be suicide for CO's economy. I will be surprised if it passes, though there are a lot of greenies with tunnel vision about the oil industry in CO, as we all know.

I appreciate you all continuing to chime in on what you know about Wyoming and take the time to answer my questions. Fingers crossed we should finally have the pick up going again tomorrow and then we can fit in some more exploring before heading back.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:06 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
Thanks, Sun, for sharing your insights. We have found ourselves caught up in the doctor mill in the past as well. Very frustrating, particuarly if you live in remote areas as we have since he retired. I definitely feel your pain and aggravation.

Since Wyoming is such a big and diverse state, due to the variety of elevations, we are not sure what part we will finally land in. Right now we are really liking Casper and what it has to offer, services wise. (Hubby's eyes lit up when he saw the Menards sale paper in the Casper daily paper)! We both prefer a much smaller town to live in, something along the size of Glenrock or Powell, but within decent distance to a big town. We love what our friends have told us about living in Powell, but we are not in love with going to a touristy town like Cody for the bigger stuff, so would probably go to Billings a good bit, I suppose. We have always enjoyed passing through Billings.

We plan to finally make it to check out Powell, once the truck is repaired, then head east again to take in Sheridan before pointing the truck for home.

I have read so many of Elk Hunter's post, (may he rest in peace, what a gem of a guy!), I feel like as a way to honor him and all he gave to this forum we gotta go see the Sheridan area. It sounds like a great town, and I like his points that they have less wind than other parts of the state. We lived in windy western Oklahoma for 13 years, and driving a truck we crossed 80 many times and had to shut down due to the wind blowing the snow and icing the road over. We understand how bad the roads in WY can get thanks to the wind. So Sheridan being less windy than some parts does have some appeal. We got 300" in the UP last year, but don't have the challenge of the winds and the sun glazing everything over, since 95% of winter days are cloudy.
Sheridan sounds good.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:57 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
It has been a long, long while since I posted on here. Hi to everyone! I agree that Wyoming has some amazing people. Though health issues and a good job here in Minnesota are keeping me from moving back, I would love to go on a visit again soon. So many fun things to do there and beautiful scenery that cannot be beat. My husband has never been.

I loved Lander to live in, but that isn't the only great town/city/area. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:39 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
It has been a long, long while since I posted on here. Hi to everyone! I agree that Wyoming has some amazing people. Though health issues and a good job here in Minnesota are keeping me from moving back, I would love to go on a visit again soon. So many fun things to do there and beautiful scenery that cannot be beat. My husband has never been.

I loved Lander to live in, but that isn't the only great town/city/area. Good luck in your search.

LOTS of snow in lander?

Old 10-20-2018, 04:28 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
First, will let the OP know that I spent years involved in pro-rodeo (roping and working in the arena). "Spent", meaning that those years are gone now, but not being a major fan of the sport, as my wife is also. I was first in the Sierra Circuit, now known as the California Circuit, and the Mountain States Circuit (Colorado/Wyoming). There were some darn good rodeo's in So California, but our favorites were the National Stock Show & Rodeo in Denver and Cheyenne Frontier Days.

Wife and I lived south of Denver for 5 1/2 years and then decided to sell our house and move to Huntersville, NC and then to here in northeastern Florida. Been here for almost 10 years and can't wait to get back to Colorado, but northern this time. Everything works out, that will happen next May 2019.

We were in both northern Colorado and Cheyenne, for CFD, this past July. Really found out just how much we miss the atmosphere and seeing the Elk Crossing warning signs. When we lived in Colorado, we drove up to Yellowstone N.P. and stayed in Cody for a couple of days. Talking about some nice folks, definitely. Before I met my wife, I had been in Cheyenne, Casper, Sheridan and Bozeman and Billings, Montana. All nice areas and nice folks.

Actually we "fit in" very nicely since we are both into Western stuff, rodeo action, the mountains and wildlife, as well as powerboating and fishing. Done a lot of boating/fishing when we lived in Colorado.

BTW, we are early Baby Boomers, being that I'm 69 and my wife is 70. She misses the lifestyle up there as much as I do. I'm retired now, but she will retire, or semi-retire, when we leave Florida.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
LOTS of snow in lander?

Depends on the time of year and other factors. The thing is, you can have snow one day and 50 degree weather the next. We had over 21 inches of snow in late April (on my daughter's bday)when I lived there.. but it only lasted a few days.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:36 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
LOTS of snow in lander?
It varies. One year I was there a few days before Christmas and it was well below zero another year I was there around the same time and it was nearly 50 degrees. If you decide to venture over South Pass that is also a different story. I went to Lander in early May one year and it was raining. By the time I was ready to leave the pass was closed due to blizzard conditions. Once I was on there when the chain law took effect and another time I was there when the road was closed while I was in the mountains. I didn't see a soul for several miles. Needless to say I was happy when I got to civilization.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:40 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Hi Froggie! Grab that hubby of yours by the nape of the neck and drag him out here for a vacation!

Old 10-21-2018, 09:25 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Hi Froggie! Grab that hubby of yours by the nape of the neck and drag him out here for a vacation!
Yea! If you don't like rodeo, go to Yellowstone N.P.. One very awesome National Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming