Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:43 AM

7,353 posts, read 12,582,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteq View Post
I don't know what will I do without your helpful comments!

OK, I've just booked my trip! I didn't book the accommodation yet, I am staying in Airbnb.

Booked the ticket because I've got points, so it's a good chance, I seized it.

The trip is:

Early morning Sunday 3/24 Flying from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City

Friday evening 3/29 Flying from Las Vegas to Los Angeles (not far, but I have a good chance with the ticket as I told you, otherwise I'll drive from Vegas to LA)!

I know this is Wyoming form. But my questions are general based on your knowledge.

I am thinking of staying on the first day in SLC, I will arrive at 9 am there, so I will have the full day!

2nd Day (Monday) Driving to Idaho Falls, enjoying the day there. OR, I might go to Idaho Falls in the early morning and return to SLC in the evening! I am an early bird, so I can drive at 6 am and will be there, I will make sure to drive back to SLC before it gets dark!

3rd day Tuesday I am thinking of driving to St George Utah, stay there, and from there visit Zion National Park.

Wednesday? I don't know.

Thursday Vegas (at least wanna stay there for a day before Friday). FYI, I visited Vegas twice before, so I am not really that into it, I can spend Thursday night there.

BUT, Once I am in Idaho Falls, Wyoming and Montana borders will be a few miles away (each around 70 miles). If it is possible, I would like to visit at least to take pictures with the State Welcoming Sign! (It might be silly lol, but I do it every time when I visit new states)! Here, I can spend the night in Idaho Falls.

I am not yet sure about the schedule, I got the ticket and I got the car as well. I'd like to hear from you and based on that will do the Airbnb bookings!!

Congratulations on making a decision--but I think you still need to scale back some ambitions. Since you've been here for almost 2 years, you know the North American travel distances are not like traveling in Europe. We've had friends from Europe who thought they could visit Disneyland in the morning and San Francisco in the afternoon, because their map of CA looked like the size of Sweden . But even so, driving from Idaho Falls to St George is 830 km, more than 7 hours without stop, and without traffic. We do it every summer. That's an entire day out of 5 precious vacation days.

So here's my 2 cents' worth:

Day 1, Sunday: spend 2-3 hours in SLC, and then drive to Idaho Falls.

Day 2, Monday: spend the morning in Idaho Falls, and then drive to Jackson, WY (less than 2 hours). Drive around Jackson Hole and take pictures of the Grand Tetons. You can make it back to Idaho Falls before dark, but you could also stay in Jackson.

Day 3, Tuesday: Go from Idaho Falls (or from Jackson on 89) back to I-15 to St George; Zion is what your Wednesday is going to be for. You simply can't make it from Idaho Falls to St George and do Zion in one day. You want to see Zion in daylight, with the play of light and shadow, not after the sun has gone from the depth of the canyon.

Day 4, Wednesday: Drive to Zion (about 40 minutes), drive around, take pictures; it doesn't have to be an all-day thing. You might even drive to Kanab afterwards, and back out through Zion. We drove up to Bryce on the same day , but that is almost visual overload.

Day 5, Thursday: drive to Vegas.

Having planned and done road trips in the west for 40 years (!) and doing the route you're going to be on every summer for 15 years I'm telling you to save Montana for next time! Have a safe trip! Be sure to come back and tell us how it went!

PS Stock up in SLC or Idaho Falls, and bring water. Bring water. Bring water. And bring a travel blanket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 11:09 AM

3,841 posts, read 4,496,831 times
When you DO come back to visit Yellowstone, I would suggest staying in "Canyon" for AT LEAST 4 nights. It's pretty central to everything and you wont need to pack up and move cabins etc. My husband and I went to Yellowstone for the first time almost 2 years ago and cant wait to go back! We took the suggestion of staying at Old Faithful for one night. Afterwards we didn't feel this was necessary because it would have been a fine day trip from Canyon especially if you're an early bird. (Just my humble opinion as staying in a cabin in Canyon, worked very well for us.)

We also went in early June right before most of the schools let out, so most of the crowds were not there yet, and we saw so many baby animals! Lamar Valley was our favorite which was in the north, just keep in mind that snow is still very possible in early June though. (well, "possible" anytime of year really) so if you definitely want to keep to the drier months, I'd go July or August.

BTW! MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS TO STAY IN THE PARK ONE YEAR IN ADVANCE!

It's worth it though! Some people stay outside the park, but you'll do a ton of driving just getting back and forth from you hotel to the park itself.

Anyway, for the now... enjoy Zion! I haven't been yet and can't wait! Bryce is pretty amazing and so is Arches National Park and Monument Valley.

You had mentioned visiting Arizona? I'm guessing (hoping) you went to Sedona? Pretty magical, but summers are hot and really crowded! Fall is best over there.

Hope you have an AMAZING TRIP! ok: Would LOVE to hear some feedback afterwards.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:28 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,479,894 times
Yes, Yelliwstone Park or nearby hotel reservations need be made 1 year in advance.

The park tends to have all roads open & cleared for Memorial Day weekend (around May 31). That is when all the shops & restaurants etc open for the summer.

However, some years there are heavy June snows and the roads will be closed to traffic. Bears are likely still hibernating because at that elevation it is still winter.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:48 PM

51 posts, read 35,414 times
Thank you! I will check and will decide tomorrow (with regard to the places). I am afraid of the altitude sickness? I went to Lake Thoe (altitude 6200 feet), I didn't have a problem but didn't sleep there, it was an early morning trip from Sacramento during summer time (Stayed there from 6 am till 8 pm), it took us 1:20 hr to get from Sacramento to Tahoe.

Salt Lake is around 4300 feet. Will I have any problems? If there is any, I might take my trip south SLC (SLC and then St. George and Zion, probably going down to Grand Canyon and a couple of places in Arizona). I may sound picky, but your comments matter.

My worst nightmare is when I'll be driving in the highway (where a few cars are on the road, unlike the situation in LA) and suddenly I feel that I am out of breath. I am apprehensive from not being able to breathe during high altitudes and when I need a hospital, I don't find any .

I am not sure about the altitude sickness but saw a program that some people who visit Denver had the symptoms (5000 feet).

Anyhow, thanks is not enough for you all.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:55 PM

OMG, just read that Grand Canyon Elevation is (7000feet). Definitely not going there. Before going to Tahoe I was afraid, but what made me feel safe is that there are hospitals everywhere in Tahoe because it is a city. My concern is from remote places.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:05 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,252,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteq View Post
OMG, just read that Grand Canyon Elevation is (7000feet). Definitely not going there. Before going to Tahoe I was afraid, but what made me feel safe is that there are hospitals everywhere in Tahoe because it is a city. My concern is from remote places.
That's just the south rim, the north rim is even higher at 8,297 feet and only open from May 15th to October 15th due to the snow and winter conditions.

Altitude sickness is an interesting condition and is one of those things that doesn't discriminate and can even effect people who are in the best shape of their lives. Plus if you have an episode one time in a certain location, it might never happen again if you revisit that same location or maybe it will.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:31 PM

Yes, I am still a bit concerned about the altitude. Anyhow, I am thinking of dividing my road from SLC to St. George 50/50, I wanna stay the night in a city that is located in between these two cities. Any suggestions?

Old 03-21-2019, 09:42 PM

7,353 posts, read 12,582,572 times
Cedar City is a very nice little town, also a gateway to Zion. More than halfway to St George, though.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:07 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,969,385 times
Take a look at the weather forecasts along that I-15 corridor.

Looks like snow above 5500’ for at least the next several days, with possible snowfall at lower elevations for some of those days.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:31 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,450,381 times
Most people do not have any effects of altitude sickness until 12,000 feet or higher. And most aircraft cabins are pressurized during high altitude flight to a pressure equal to that at 8,000 feet. So if you have no problems flying, then you will not have any problems on this trip, or anywhere you travel in WY, MT , UT, or ID.

If you were at 6,200 feet at Lake Tahoe, you would have felt symptoms very quickly if you were going have a problem. It would be very (extremely?) rare for a human to have an altitude problem at 5,000 feet. My son and I had mild symptoms at Pike's Peak (slight dizziness and nausea), but that is over 14,000 feet! And the symptoms disappeared immediately after driving back down the mountain 1,000'. No need for a hospital...

I think you are worrying about altitude sickness too much if you have not ever had any symptoms. As said above, it is very much a characteristic of each individual, but most people never experience it. (Too much TV melodrama is the main problem here LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming