Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 12:38 PM

5,557 posts, read 4,901,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteq View Post
Yes, I am still a bit concerned about the altitude. Anyhow, I am thinking of dividing my road from SLC to St. George 50/50, I wanna stay the night in a city that is located in between these two cities. Any suggestions?
Is there anything you can take and get from your doctor? i.e. Draminine for motion sickness. Something like that but for altitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 12:38 PM

51 posts, read 35,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Cedar City is a very nice little town, also a gateway to Zion. More than halfway to St George, though.
Yes, googled it! Cool, I want to see the Cedars! But unfortunately, it's not that far lol

Old 03-22-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Is there anything you can take and get from your doctor? i.e. Draminine for motion sickness. Something like that but for altitude?
I am about to call my doctor and check, I googled and hear about Diomax.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Take a look at the weather forecasts along that I-15 corridor.

Looks like snow above 5500’ for at least the next several days, with possible snowfall at lower elevations for some of those days.
I hope everything goes fine

Old 03-22-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Most people do not have any effects of altitude sickness until 12,000 feet or higher. And most aircraft cabins are pressurized during high altitude flight to a pressure equal to that at 8,000 feet. So if you have no problems flying, then you will not have any problems on this trip, or anywhere you travel in WY, MT , UT, or ID.

If you were at 6,200 feet at Lake Tahoe, you would have felt symptoms very quickly if you were going have a problem. It would be very (extremely?) rare for a human to have an altitude problem at 5,000 feet. My son and I had mild symptoms at Pike's Peak (slight dizziness and nausea), but that is over 14,000 feet! And the symptoms disappeared immediately after driving back down the mountain 1,000'. No need for a hospital...

I think you are worrying about altitude sickness too much if you have not ever had any symptoms. As said above, it is very much a characteristic of each individual, but most people never experience it. (Too much TV melodrama is the main problem here LOL)
No, I didn't have any problems with flying, only one thing: dehydration during longer flights

Thanks for the info, it is helpful!

Old 03-22-2019, 12:47 PM

5,557 posts, read 4,901,259 times
Quote:
I am about to call my doctor and check, I googled and hear about Diomax.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:55 PM

11,549 posts, read 52,918,471 times
the above poster's experience with "altitude sickness" and mine are quite different.

Over the decades, I have seen many people be affected at Denver's altitude, much lower than 8,000', and many more in town at Vail before they ever reached the higher elevations of the ski slopes.

Folk acclimated to sea level altitudes experience a far greater pressure altitude effect to reach 5,000' than those acclimated to Denver or SLC's altitude and then reaching 12,000'.

It's difficult to predict who will and won't have altitude related symptoms until they are acclimated on each trip to higher elevations. I've spent many a day on the ski slopes with folk from sea level elevations who are far more "in shape" and athletically fit than I, only to see them have headaches, vision loss, and cognitive loss for a day or two until they get acclimated to the lesser air density here. The general guidelines for caution are well in order … keep hydrated and don't push your physical limits for a day or two when you first arrive at altitude.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
No.

The effects of altitude sickness are due to lower oxygen levels in the bloodstream because the lungs/heart capacity is impaired compared to what the body is acclimated to at lower elevation.

Folk who live at the higher elevations have bodies acclimated to working more effectively to maintain the normal range of blood oxygenation. When healthy folk arrive at the higher elevations, it may take them a couple of days to acclimate to that cardio system coming up to the levels needed.

For some folk, the acclimation process in hardly noticed. For some folk, it can be a minor inconvenience. For some folk, it can be a difficult process and marked symptoms are noticed.

And for some folk, their bodies never seem to acclimate and they have symptoms until they return to lower elevations. It's not uncommon to see folk in these higher elevations using supplemental oxygen to address the problem … especially folk with compromised cardio-vascular conditions from many different causes. Some of them may have been living successfully at altitude for years and then their health issues catch up with them and require oxygen supplementation and the possibility of needing to relocate to lower elevations. I know several people who have found themselves in this situation … had to leave the Rocky Mountain area and head to sea level living for these health reasons.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-22-2019 at 01:13 PM..

Old 03-22-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I hope everything goes fine
While we all "hope" that your visit is a success, do keep an eye on the weather forecasts and road reports for your areas of travel. Currently, the weather forecast over the next few days is "winter conditions" followed by a few days of periods of snow flurries. Best to be prepared for adverse conditions to present and have a plan "B" as to how and where to spend your time. The clear and dry roads of the last few days may be a very different situation than what may be the case in the next few days. Bear in mind that roads that are "open" doesn't necessarily mean that they are clear and dry again … they can still have have slick/snowy conditions.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:45 PM

Thanks all! I really appreciate it! Will always be back here to see the comments, and would also give you a list of the places to be seen, things to be done and some pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming