Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 04:46 PM

81 posts, read 469,167 times

Advertisements

I have noticed the phrase "right to work state" used in reference to Wyoming in a few of the threads. What does this mean? Michigan can't be a right to work state or there are a lot of rights being violated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 05:13 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
something about not having to join a union when you work for a company that has one.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:23 PM

610 posts, read 3,318,852 times
I was disheartened to learn that most states are now "right-to-work" states. Before, it was limited to WY/TN/WVA and probably a couple others.
On one hand, it's good - you can leave a company and not be sued or penalized for work undone or the period it takes to replace you (doesn't affect unemployment reasonings, though).
On the other hand - it's bad. A company can let you go at any time for no particular reason - propogates things like, dumping you when you're due a raise so they can hire somebody else at a lower rate, dumping you just when benefits become available, etc.
It's part of the new system of calling full-time 30hrs a wk, calling minimum wage competitive and the like.
Yes, it's pretty-much a union-busting thing but there are still union jobs in states where the unions have always been strong.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:44 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Brennus View Post
I have noticed the phrase "right to work state" used in reference to Wyoming in a few of the threads. What does this mean? Michigan can't be a right to work state or there are a lot of rights being violated.
They wrote the Law for it to sound pleasant, But De Facto(in fact) it means you can be fired for any reason ie., Parting you hair down the middle, being handsome/ugly, talking softly,being sick,absolutely anything at all(accepting Federal law.)

Old 12-19-2006, 06:58 PM

81 posts, read 469,167 times
Well... Michigan is not one of the right to work states but you can still be fired for any one of the reasons that were given, unless ofcourse you work at a union shop, then the union will fight for you but only if you are a piece of garbage that doesn't do your job or even bother to show up for work. If you are a conscientous employee who strives to do a good job then the union will do everything in their power to stab you in the back because you make the rest of the slackers look bad. In the non-union shops the employers treat you like a piece of garbage even if you are a conscientious employee because workers are a dime a dozen (3 1/2 cents a dozen if they are illegal).

Thanks for the quick reply to my query though. I didn't have clue as to what it meant. Sorry for my union rant. I have belonged to two unions and was railroaded out of one job and the other job closed the office and left the state. The unions didn't do a thing for me but they were sure to deduct their dues from my last pay checks from both places.

Last edited by I_Brennus; 12-19-2006 at 07:10 PM..

Old 12-19-2006, 09:19 PM

Yo, I_Brennus, read you loud and clear. Wyoming isn't real big on unions, Utah busted all of their's, I think but the concept is so "out-of-this-world" correct. It seems, out here, that if you work hard, learn well, apply properly, show up always, behave nicely ... you'll be down at the unemployment office begging for "pogey" right away while, if you go on drunks, slough continually, spray bad attitude in all direction then, you'll be promoted to owner!! Too bad about MI - lived there and it's beautiful, the bass all know me by name to this day but the working-for-a-living thing is all whacked-out! Rocky

Old 12-21-2006, 01:24 PM

777 posts, read 3,196,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
It seems, out here, that if you work hard, learn well, apply properly, show up always, behave nicely ... you'll be down at the unemployment office begging for "pogey" right away while, if you go on drunks, slough continually, spray bad attitude in all direction then, you'll be promoted to owner!!
Looks like I'll fit right in I do show up on time, but like most people my age (42) we try to work smart not hard. Do as little as needed to ge the job done, then shoot the breeze the rest of the day. I have learned after many years of giving my "all" to a company, that in the end.....you're just a number.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:47 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
So many pro-corporation laws have made it difficult for Unions to regain the strength they once had.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:19 PM

184 posts, read 901,872 times
Thumbs down Unions are for whimps!

I could never work for a unionised employer, I hate the pretentious idea that it does any good for the employees. SWEET F.A.*! I never liked the idea of making other people rich while they poke my eye out with union membership for "protection". Man, this "right to work" idea does sound like something rooted in an old but important American sentiment of no time for losers. I kinda like it.

* (ie: f all)

Old 12-21-2006, 05:11 PM

ATTM, easy ... easy there friend. I've never worked a union altho my pop always said, from the time I was 3, "getcherself a uni-on job". However, the alternative isn't all that great these days, either. Nobody takes care of us hardly but each other anymore and it may be sad commentary on the state of things but there is choice - but less choice. Some folks can take care of their kids by aiming for longevity and by tradition, a union is supposed to offer that ... oh, another sad commentary - they don't either hardly.
Now, let's go find us another site to rip the system on, o'tay? Peace, Rocky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming