Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Evanston vs. Casper: land to buy, cowboy life, bar to hang, medical care, horse stable, western town

Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 PM

37 posts, read 120,916 times

Advertisements

Hi, I posted several brief questions about Evanston vs. Casper and there has been conflicting advice.
Let me tell you who I am and that may help.
I am 46, married, would be teaching in the school system (looking at teaching jobs in both places). Married and have an elderly mother, dogs and hope to find a stable for my horse.
My dream is to eventually find some land and build a small ranch.
I have been through WY and absolutely LOVED the land - the empty openess of it. I am a cowboy and love all things to do with outdoors, horses etc.
I don't like traffic, malls, the whole city thing. I hope to find good friends and neighbors as I will be one. I don't want to change anything or anyone...the reason why I want to move there (I am from SD) is because I feel in love with the place a few years ago when I spent a summer there.
I still have family and friends in SD. I don't need the "night life" although having a bar to hang and have a beer would be great. As long as there is medical care for my mom, a good vet for my dogs horses (and me and my wife LOL) I will be happy.
Probably want to rent at first, then buy some land and build.
Any elaboration would be so great.
FYI I have read about people coming there and complaining...that drives me nuts - I hear it all the time from people from other countries, makes me want to say "why the ---- are you here! Don't let the door hit your --- on the way out!"
Finally, I want a place where I can wear my cowboy hat & boots and not feel out of place.
Thanks friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 01:10 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
Must it be either of those choices then? Myself, I would live in Casper. It is more of a 'western town' IMO. There are plots - 40 acres I believe - that are currently on the market north of town. I used to work for a stable the boarded horses - off Wyoming Boulevard (McKinley, I think, though this was 20 years ago). The medical care here is top-notch, I feel. That and you are centrally located for travel back to SD. I am not certain of the teaching positions here, seems there are openings fairly often. Someone else will have to jump in here. My son attends Kelly Walsh High School and it is really a great school.

However, if you want more of small town atmosphere that is closer to South Dakota, Sundance or Newcastle are great places. I am not at all certain of the Sundance area, but I know in Newcastle the medical care is sound (I used to work in the field at both hospital and clinic, as well as being an EMT-I). If needed, Rapid City isn't that far.
The veterinarian there is an absolute godsend, I have traveled the distance with my animals if it isn't an emergency just because he is so wonderful. The last I looked, there were several areas for sell with acreage. Population there is +3,000. Teaching positions may be an issue there though.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 PM

37 posts, read 120,916 times
Default Thanks

Thanks,
I have a possible job at Kelly Walsh. Sure don't mind commuting from one of those smaller towns! What would the 'down side' of Casper be?

Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
It really depends on which area you live in...but of course, I've lived in about all the areas of Casper and as long as you have common sense you will be fine.
Many complain on the winds here...but there are areas where it is much worse. Right now, winds are blowing at 33 mph with 45 mph gusts. Winter winds can be daunting, summer it is usually calmer.
I have asked my son a few times how it is for him at school, i.e. are there drugs, bullying, and the like. He's a Freshman and he said he hasn't seen any drugs, most upperclassmen were very helpful and good to him - and still are. He missed the bus his first day of school and the principal gave him a ride home...in his Hummer (much to the thrill of my son). The teachers are all great, eager to work with the kids and parents. It is a very good school, IMO.

I really cannot think of anything really 'bad' about Casper. As I've stated, it is centrally located to most everything. I've been to Evanston several times, worked there, etc...and it is an okay town, just not for me. In my honest opinion, it is too close to the Utah border. Not intending to offend anyone, just voicing my opinion.
Casper just has retained that western 'appeal' in my opinion, though Sheridan has more of that 'appeal' too. There are things to do in Casper, depending on your interests, etc. They have some decent bars, shopping is decent (just not my thing), the library is grand, there is a civic center for concerts and other venues...several museums (Nicolaysen Art Museum, Ft. Caspar, National Historic Trails Museum, etc), under Casper Mountain with Hogadon for skiing, places to hike and camp...only a little ways from Glendo Reservoir for fine fishing, or Alcova and Pathfinder for fishing and such...the North Platte runs through town with many areas to just pull over and fly-fish for a time. Areas to go hunting are close by.
I am not a fan of the winds...not many are. It can get hot in the summer, cold in the winter...but there are many things to do instead of focusing on weather patterns. I've stated in another place, it really is what you decide to make of it.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:12 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
well different people like different things so there will always be some conflict when asking opinions about which place is 'better' from different people.i could live either place if the job offer was right.casper is a lot bigger and closer to south dakota,and has more shopping,eating etc options.i dont think there is much difference in housing costs between the two.evanston is about 50% lds....if that matters to you...doesnt bother me.neither is real scenic but many nice places arent too far of a drive,[though many of the closest nice places to evanston are to the south in utah].there are some acreages available around both cities.i think evanston gets less wind....i guess you would really have to go to both places and see which appeals to 'you 'more.rentals will likely be a little easier to find right now in casper but they arent real easy either place right now.if wanted a place with a few acres i would look into the riverton area instead,i dont know how much difference there is in pay,but its worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming