Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 09:46 PM

149 posts, read 259,003 times

Advertisements

https://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/n...d7a7b5bc0.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 11:40 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
a lot of signs Campbell county, Gillette stay strong...

Old 07-02-2019, 01:29 PM

723 posts, read 571,317 times
Wow, this is devastating news. I feel terrible for all of those working families.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
My son works for them. He's scheduled to be off until Thursday or Friday, so he's just waiting until then to do anything. Worst part of it is that he's scheduled to sell his current house and close on a new one in a week or two -- downsizing but not by much and moving off the golf course. It's a mess. He's not in a hurry to start looking for other work since he's been there for more than 2 decades and would have to take a big hit in the pocketbook, instead hoping the mine can find some kind of financing real soon.

I drove past one of the mines this afternoon. It's sad seeing all the machinery idled. Belle Ayr was the first major mine to open in the area in the early-70s, followed a few years later by Eagle Butte. It's hard to believe they might just fill in the holes and button it up. That would take years to do and be a huge waste of the coal that's uncovered and ready to be mined, but it could happen.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:03 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
So who's left to dig coal?

Old 07-04-2019, 06:56 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
I'll bet anything China/Mongolia and south-eastern Russia will be going full-on coal-mining now...

...won't be much to stop them, will there ? They need energy for a growing-population, and that population will need cheap, readily-available heat & fuel-sources...

I seriously doubt the milque-toast, limp-wristed dinks at the U.N. or 'N.W.O' folks will be able to do much...and I guess that's a good thing, actually...because I really don't think this planet should be 'micro-managed' by a small group of 'effete-elites' who clearly do NOT know how to manage thier way out of a paper-bag, let-alone figure out a way to keep everybody adequately employed, housed & fed.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:24 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
sad watching guy wander the streets in Gillette already

Old 07-04-2019, 06:36 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
I'll bet anything China/Mongolia and south-eastern Russia will be going full-on coal-mining now...

...won't be much to stop them, will there ? They need energy for a growing-population, and that population will need cheap, readily-available heat & fuel-sources...

China has been doing something with coal not seen since Germany did it in WW2. Coal gasification project takes 1000m/t coal and converts it to 250 m/t diesel. And, they are building 50 plants across the country to reduce its dependence on foreign oil. You won't see it in this country because all the nimbys and wussies won't allow it.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:36 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
A thought just now occurred to me...I watch alot of movies...buy DVD's to good one's, those which make alot of awards, critics rave about them, etc...I have 'The Last Emporer' (a movie about China's last emporer who was sent into exhile, and later caught, sent to 're-education-prison by Communist-leaders...directed by a famous Italian director, oddly enough) there's a major portion of the movie which goes into detail about how Japan's own military-regime set him up as a 'puppet-leader' of Mongolia (which was'nt difficult, given his birth in that region) which went badly for ALL involved...

...there was a very brief mention of 'coal' during this sequence of the movie...

So that would mean the region was already deeply involved in coal prior-to WW2...

...HAD to have been, given that Japan rolled the dice & played thier cards THAT deeply inside the continent...they wanted those resources so badly, they did'nt care what it took, to get control of it.

Funny I never thought about it until just now...it was mostly the life of that young-man (and everyone who was closely involved with him) which my attentions were focused on...

Strange, that back then, the axis of evil was: Hitler/Mussolini & Japan...

...we made it through the cold-war, only to watch a new axis develop, with Iran, North Korea & I am thinking now South America, if missiles are being shipped or built there...

...unless these 'waves' of incoming migrants to our southern-border are actually TRAINED to come across, apply for asylum, disperse amongst us all...and then wait for a signal of some sort, to...do...'whatever' ? ? ?

God, I hope I'm wrong...there's so many living among us already...

Old 07-06-2019, 11:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
I'll bet anything China/Mongolia and south-eastern Russia will be going full-on coal-mining now.......
Look for foreign investment to buy any productive energy resources in USA.
'Turn-key' would be quite interesting to them. (everything in place to start production / + immediate cash flows)

Most countries are far more 'strategic' than a short sighted (4 yr political cycle) USA.

Many of the installed wind systems in USA are owned by foreign businesses and countries who delight in us(a) paying them in perpetuity for power that USA wind, land, and systems generate and distribute. (ez money (high value Green backs) + US subsidies to the foreign companies to make the capital investment.

Recently a friend was looking for capital to expand a US manufacturing business.
Foreign companies, banks and countries were lined up with offers / desire to assist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: