Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:56 AM

66 posts, read 231,797 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Lookin for info on the Rock Springs area, will probably be relocating in the next month due to job change. Looking at housing etc. Found some in the Rocket Miner, but id prefer to live in a smaller town that is close such as Reliance, Not having any luck finding a listing for a news paper there, or any rentals, may be to small of a town.
anyone willing to chat and help let me know, i'll ship my email to you.
Thank you
Kurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 01:11 PM

105 posts, read 448,912 times
Well as far as Reliance goes its kind of its own town and than again its not. It has its own Post Office and thats it. There are businesses out there like Schlumberger, Peak USA, Nabors, and couple others. As far as rentals go in the Rocksprings, Green River, Reliance area good luck, with the energy boom that is going on rentals are few and far between and are expensive. I'm Glad I'm out of there now. Depend in on how far you want to commute you have a really little town east of RS called Superior its about 32 miles away. To the east you have the "valley" which is the Lyman, Mountain View, Fort Bridger area. This is by far my favorite area within commuting distance of RS. Its about 60 miles away, so it might be a little far. If you have any other questions feel free to ask I lived down there for about 16 years and my parent and little bro are still there.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Actualy the energy boom is why i'm relocating, currently in montana, but have a job potential with Schlumberger. Will know for sure in a few weeks.
Yea there are a few housings open in the paper, but not many, as far as prices, from what i have seen in the listings, they are about the same as they are here.. which is high, but the new job i'll be making a lot more money, so it wont be as bad as it is here.
Here rent is steep, but you are lucky to find a job to make $10 a hour, wich with a 2 income family is not bad, but since we just had our baby boy last month, i'm looking for something with a bit more income to cover living expenses.

How bads the winters get there? we get our nasty days here in Missoula, but over all winters are not to bad.. definatly nothing like they use to be.
Thanks for the help.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:29 PM

Winters can be rough there is no doubt about that. Especially where the drilling rigs are located. Last year I was on a rig and it was 35 below on the rig floor without windchill. This year the Wamsutter area got so much snow that they had to enter some locations by Snowmachine to check on wells. It has been rumored that the drilling companies together had to pay some 9 million dollars to maintain the roads to the rigs due to severe amount of snow that was received in their area. Schlumberger is a good company they are actually partial owners of the company I work for. I have freinds that have worked for them and some hate it and some enjoy it. Get ready for some really long hours that is where you make all your money is in the overtime. Do you know what you would be doing for them I can give you some ideas of the job enviroment than. I have been in this industry since I was 18 it got me through college.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:09 AM

Right now, i'm interviewing for Entry level Fracking. Sounds like hard work and long hours, but would be worth it, i figure once i get in the door, i can work my way up. I'm not exactly sure what all that entails, I know they are going to send me to get my CDL traning, which i have always wanted, but never realy had the time or knew anyone that had a rig that could teach me the specifics. Past that i'm not exactly sure what is involved. The interview i had already they said, 20% driving and the rest swinging a sledge hammer.. which definatly sounds like hard work, but its like any job, once you do it a while your body gets use to it, and its not that bad.
Yea, i know about them winters, i was working for a company here that build custom log homes, it was 30 below, no heat at all, went out to the job site and ended up having to turn around and go home, so cold all the hand power tools were so cold they would not run... we turned on the table saw, and it slowly spun, as the lights in the room went dim.
I can always dress for cold, some good xtreme thermals and carhart coveralls...
So far from what i have found out about the company, they sound prity decent to work for. I have a nother phone interview wensday or thursday with HR, so with any luck that will go well.
As far as long hours, thats not a big deal, i work nights, and do all the other normal running during the day, i'm use to little sleep. although still have to have my weekends every now and then where i crash and do nothing but sleep.
the overtime cash should like a great thing right now, have a 4 week old little one at home, main reason we are thinking of moving and job change.
I make ok money here, for what i do, but with the wife not able to work due to complications, will be nice to make enough so she dose not have to worry about it. Then once she is healed up, she can start her massage therapy business there and see how it goes.
Any info on what the job entails would be great. I'm kind of going into it blind.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:43 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,145 times
Here is a short explaination. Also a picture of the trucks you will be driving.

http://www.netl.doe.gov/technologies...olor/colhf.pdf

Old 04-20-2008, 07:14 AM

That is prity interesting, the job agency i'm going through said, 20% driving and the rest swinging a sledge hammer all day, i though that was a bit odd, i guess they were just comparing the hard work, rather than literal.
Thanks for the info that realy helps and gives me a little idea of what i'm doing.
I have a phone interview with Schlumberger either wensday or thursday, depening on their schedule, so far looks like things are going to be a go. Which is good news.
Then just the hassle of moving everything and getting set up again.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 AM

592 posts, read 2,244,145 times
The thing of it is , once you get settled in be sure to keep your eyes open for other, "better" jobs. There are lots of manufacturing plants in that area that will have openings over the next 5 years.
I have never done the frac thing but have freinds who have . The big deal is the weather. The places you have to drive to are out in the stix on dirt roads . When it is wet you get stuck alot. You will learn how to put chains on tires, and take them off, till you can do it in your sleep. With the long hours you probobly will be doing it in your sleep !

Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 AM

YEah Oil industry is a great industry to get into and there is alot of money to be made doing so. The biggest problem we have in Wyoming right now is that we dont have enough pipeline to get all the gas out of the state. That is why they building I believe 52in pipeline running east and west. We have been just drilling wells and capping them off because the gas lines can't take any more gas. The drilling boom that we are having now will not be here forever and people need to take that into consideration. If you like the company you are going to be working for strive to work your way up the food chain as fast as possible, so when the bottoms drops out you will have a little more security in employment. Also don't know if this is an option for you or not but right now they have found a huge pocket of oil in North Dakota. This is a huge discovery and I know its big enough that we are building a brand new mud plant up there to accomondate all the extra work that will be going on.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 AM

North dakota works for me, i'm not realy picky at this point.
Just looking for a way to support the new family, and get some bills paid off, and hopeufly in the long run get a house paid for.
What is the name of the company you are working for? are they doing a lot of hiring there?
Just curious.
Yea, the weather is definatly not good, i did that building houses, there are days it realy gets to you. thats why i'm at the job i am at now, the pay is not nearly as much, but its climate controled, in doors..
But for the future of the little one, i'd put up with being outside again if i had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming