Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 11:14 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
isn't there a HS, ther e? Seem I remember Kinnear FFA jackets.
You are right! I did not expect that, with Riverton being so close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
The winters are just getting too long for me up here in Alaska....it is the long dark days, that I am having trouble with.
Boy, I get that. My 1st winter days in northern Maine, with it not getting to full light after 9 AM and starting to darken a 2:30 PM, was a bit of a surprise to me. I can only imagine what AK 'days' are like in winter!

Fremont Co WY will generally get you good bang for the buck and not be too far from the mountains and hunting. There are other similar areas, like over around Pinedale, west of the Wind River Range, in Sublette County. Neither are particularly prosperous areas, but it sounds like you are coming from a more independent and perhaps isolated lifestyle, if you are not in Fairbanks or Anchorage. These counties have population densities something like 2 people per square mile, outside of the towns.

Don't expect fancy in Kinnear. For my tastes, it is a bit on the dry side, with a bit of badlands here and there in that area, along with some irrigated land as said and some dry pasture and grassland. Mixed flat land and land broken by the Wind River's flow over the millenia. But you may like it; I am an incurable mountain junkie.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:47 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Currently there are schools in Pavillion and Ethete. https://www.google.com/search?q=kinn...33l3.10649j0j4

Came across a note about "old Wind River School" being listed as a brownfield waste site with EPA (perhaps more than a decade ago). Old Wind River High School at Kinnear, WY - USA.com™

Old 04-06-2020, 12:00 PM

507 posts, read 661,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
isn't there a HS, ther e? Seem I remember Kinnear FFA jackets.
High school is in Pavillion. Wind River High School. Fremont 26 district. Usually pretty good at sports.
Enrollment about one quarter Indian kids, three quarters ranch kids. They seem to get along well with
each other.

OP, Kinnear is not on the reservation, neither is Morton or Pavillion. Kinnear is more or less a farming and
ranch community, an area more than a town. Strong rodeo tradition, lots of ropers, rodeo types from there.
Its farming terrain, fairly verdant by WY standards. Ocean Lake is north of there. Oil and gas wells are
outside of Pavillion. Pavillion is a town, but not very big. Anyway Kinnear isn't far from Riverton and it is
straight south thru the rez to Lander, which is the county seat.

Couple years ago, two high school boys rode their horses to school at Wind River HS. Their history teacher
had them studying WY history (requirements in the schools here) and they found some law that said the
school has to put up their horses if they ride them to school. The teacher went along with it and he put up
a corral for their horses, provided hay, water. It was all fun, and appears he did a good job stimulating their interest in history.

Yeah, it doesn't snow a whole lot, and the wind isn't as bad as most of WY, but that Riverton basin area
can get cold when it does snow. As in below zero stuff. Not far from Boysen Lake and can follow the Wind
River up to Dubois area.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:46 PM

773 posts, read 1,938,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
OK. Have you been to Wyoming before?

You said “we”. How many people are we talking about here?

I went to trade school in Laramie back in 83, then worked there for 4 months before going in the military. We is my wife and I. I'm hoping to find a foreclosure or something similar, the last two homes were foreclosures and they worked out good, building equity.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:17 PM

400 posts, read 452,465 times
Quote:
I went to trade school in Laramie back in 83, then worked there for 4 months before going in the military. We is my wife and I. I'm hoping to find a foreclosure or something similar, the last two homes were foreclosures and they worked out good, building equity.
There is a HUD home for sale on acreage in that general area. Might be worth a look. It’s more north of Riverton where Kinnear is northwest of Riverton.

A couple of things to think about. That property I was referring to is closer to the Pavillion/Shoshoni area. There is significant ground water contamination issue over there and I’m not sure exactly how widespread that is. Originally, the suspicion was that the water had been contaminated by fracking. However, a state investigation found no evidence that this had happened. I don’t recall that Kinnear was in the contamination zone on that, but if you start expanding your search area, you should be aware.

And there are periodic lawsuits regarding the location of the boundaries of the Wind River Indian Reservation. I’m not sure how that ended up. I remember the EPA, of all things, determined that the city of Riverton was entirely within the reservation. That was a few years ago during the Obama administration.

I’m not saying you should run away from your idea. I’m saying if you do pull the trigger on a deal there, you just need to do your homework first. I’m not an expert on that area. Maybe somebody else can provide better info for you. Or maybe you can research it for yourself. Let us know what you find.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
And there are periodic lawsuits regarding the location of the boundaries of the Wind River Indian Reservation. I’m not sure how that ended up. I remember the EPA, of all things, determined that the city of Riverton was entirely within the reservation. That was a few years ago during the Obama administration.
That opinion form the EPA (and that is all it was) was vacated by the 10th Circuit Circuit Court of Appeals. The subsequent application from the tribe(s) to the Supreme Court for a new hearing was denied.

https://www.wsmtlaw.com/blog/supreme...dary-case.html

Old 04-07-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
That opinion form the EPA (and that is all it was) was vacated by the 10th Circuit Circuit Court of Appeals. The subsequent application from the tribe(s) to the Supreme Court for a new hearing was denied.

https://www.wsmtlaw.com/blog/supreme...dary-case.html
Thank you.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:13 AM

773 posts, read 1,938,248 times
Quote:
There is a HUD home for sale on acreage in that general area. Might be worth a look. It’s more north of Riverton where Kinnear is northwest of Riverton.

A couple of things to think about. That property I was referring to is closer to the Pavillion/Shoshoni area. There is significant ground water contamination issue over there and I’m not sure exactly how widespread that is. Originally, the suspicion was that the water had been contaminated by fracking. However, a state investigation found no evidence that this had happened. I don’t recall that Kinnear was in the contamination zone on that, but if you start expanding your search area, you should be aware.

I’m not saying you should run away from your idea. I’m saying if you do pull the trigger on a deal there, you just need to do your homework first. I’m not an expert on that area. Maybe somebody else can provide better info for you. Or maybe you can research it for yourself. Let us know what you find.

Good luck.
Thanks got the info, I have a relative in New Castle, I think I’ll look closer to there.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks got the info, I have a relative in New Castle, I think I’ll look closer to there.
Wasn’t trying to scare you off. Somebody more local over there could give you better info. We just don’t have anybody who posts here regularly that lives there that I know of. If you look at a place there, talk to the neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming