Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:46 PM

632 posts, read 1,516,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomiles View Post
I think I can, what I think Wyomingites find so offensive is that people come to Wyoming and start changing things to what they think is better. There have been many posts about this I believe. Folks come to Wyoming and start complaining that the farm down the road stinks, that neighborhoods should have HOA's to police those folks who park campers in their yards, that firearms should not be carried openly, that we do not have the right to homeschool, etc etc.etc. My favorite example is the California woman who moved to Jackson back in the 80's who was running for town council. She went on and on in a newspaper interview about how great Jackson was , how she had moved there to get away from the things that were happening in California. When asked why she was running for office she went on to explain how she was going to change everything...to be more like California. Many of us came to Wyoming for what it is, not for what it can be, it does not need to be improved. Thus the saying if you do not like it ,leave. Again JMHO
Thanks Wyomiles. You make a convincing argument (and I appreciated the little JMHO) and I agree as a resident of Wyoming for over 20 years now, I believe we have freedoms we appreciate and would like to keep. I too enjoy those freedoms. Those are by no means the things I wish to change.

The things I'd like to change about my community have to do with - I guess for a better term, deeply rooted personal value issues. For example, drinking and driving among the youth in my personal community is out of control because kids here have little to do. We've tried many times to get a Rec Center built, but the older people in our community say they have no use for it and have the voting numbers. Thus, we have no rec center.

In our community, if you are an athlete you are revered. If you aren't an athlete, you are invisible. Sad to say we have many kids with seemingly bright futures who might need local arts opportunities, etc. who fall through the cracks.

Additionally, our chamber has tried to bring businesses to our area that would also bring jobs, something we need desperately since we are one area that hasn't benefitted from the energy boom in Wyoming. But again the "fathers" of our community want to keep the "riff raff out".

Again, thanks for your explanation. I think that's what this board is all about. And I'm not about to leave just because there may be a new generation in Wyoming who want to be a part of a new era. And please keep in mind, those of us who come to your state are now a resident and a part of your state. I talk to WY residents who still think my opinion doesn't matter because I am a transplant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
The things I'd like to change about my community have to do with - I guess for a better term, deeply rooted personal value issues. For example, drinking and driving among the youth in my personal community is out of control because kids here have little to do. We've tried many times to get a Rec Center built, but the older people in our community say they have no use for it and have the voting numbers. Thus, we have no rec center.

In our community, if you are an athlete you are revered. If you aren't an athlete, you are invisible. Sad to say we have many kids with seemingly bright futures who might need local arts opportunities, etc. who fall through the cracks.
These are issues that hold a great deal of meaning for me. It is so hard to be a young person in today's world which is changing constantly. Kids are full of energy and are going to do something. The higher their sense of self esteem - the better they are going to be able to handle the choices they will have to make. It makes sense to give them opportunites to grow that sense of self.

The older people could make wonderful use of the rec center. I have seen the healing power of the arts for all ages. There are some generous grants that will bring after school art programing and other types of art progams to your schools or community. I am just learning about the Art Council in Wyoming. Each state has an Art Council and then counties or cities have their on Art Council. Do you know about any Art Councils in your area?
You aren't in the Rawlins area are you?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:40 PM

632 posts, read 1,516,800 times
Not Rawlins, Goshen County. Very Agricultural with very little energy.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 PM

592 posts, read 2,243,178 times
Thank you Wyolady for your patience with me. I know what you mean about the kids having little to do. The only thing I can suggest is to find the folks who are willing to roll up thier sleeves and make something happen without the older folks. Maybe once they see that you have created a good thing they too will help out. The hard part is to get a group of people to agree to a tax increase to build something for the community. I guess I lean towards the thought that if something is worth doing it will find a way to be done without forcing others to pay for it through taxes.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamebear View Post
So, my "Vermont" friend thinks there are no wolves here. May I ask sir, how you would know what is here since you proclaim to live in Vermont, on a dirt road no less? There are wolves here, and there are moutain lions, bears, etc., Rawlins Daily Times can provide you with pics of a mountain lion trotting down the sidewalk in Rawlins! There are wolves here, no, not in the hundreds, but they're here around Carbon Co.. Most people wouldn't say this but I will, I live out off of Jack Creek Road, which is fairly close to Rawlins, plenty of lively wildlife here, pay a visit sometime, if you dare!
Read my profile friend.

I lived in Wyoming for 23 years, proud graduate of UW, Go Pokes. I worked for many years as a photojournalist for the Casper Star Tribune covering the wolf introduction in Yellowstone NP. I know a couple of lone wolves have made it to Rock Springs but not around Rawlins. Show me some documentations that wolves are around Rawlins and I will eat crow. It's not that bad with the right bbq sauce.

Even if a wolve was around Rawlins I suspect a rancher would take of it out pretty quick. I am sure if there was a wolf kill of any wildlife of any kind in the area, most everyone would know it. It would be big news. The wolf population in YNP grew faster than any of the experts predicted and as a result they are moving out of the park, no question about that. Ranchers should have the right to defend their livestock. There is a whole lot of good habitat between Rawlins and YNP aside from the 300+ miles between the two places.

As far as the "visit sometime, if you dare" comment. Rawlins doesn't have exclusive experience when it comes to tough Wyoming winter weather. Try driving down from Gillette to Douglas on Hy 59 during a blizzard. 110 miles of nothing. This was before Wright got built up when I lived in Gillette for 3 years.

You want severe weather, try living around Yellowstone. I lived in an old cabin built in 1905 for 12 years with no heat except for my woodstove supplied by wood I cut from the national forest with only a strong back, an old truck and my trusty Rancher 50 Husky saw. Fives chords a season. I loved it...just making it thru the day without the pipes freezing up, or the truck starting in the morning were simple goals but amazingly satisfying. Back in those days -40F was common in the winter.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 11-05-2008 at 08:51 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 08:35 PM

MRVphoto, during the drive to the reservoir outside of Rawlins in September my husband called my attention to a wolf that was moving away from the road. We both noticed that the wolf looked well fed. I don't have documentation and don't want you to eat a crow. I haven't seen him again.

Rawlins has a variety of animals wandering the streets. Everyone keeps their dogs under control but deer and rabbits visit my yard daily and I live in town!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 PM

175 posts, read 439,122 times
Lamebear was correct. Wind, isolation, costs, snow, lack of services, lack of snow-plowing when needed ect. I could go on forever. Even in rural northern new mexico at 9000 feet it is like this!

I hate to say, but people that don't have experience living in small western towns or rural areas that recieve lots of snow (like 6-10 feet drifts frequently) should consider these types of areas more of just a part time living place. Move to a larger city in Wyoming if you are going to live full time!

I think most any rural place west of the great plains should just be just a part time living place. Unless you were born, raised, or have a lot of friends and family to begin with in these areas. Save up and buy a condo or cabin and look forward to coming out and having fun.

Remember this is my opinion. I doesn't me everyone is like this. Some people do very well and like it out in these areas and I'm happy for them!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:34 PM

175 posts, read 439,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
Thanks Wyomiles. You make a convincing argument (and I appreciated the little JMHO) and I agree as a resident of Wyoming for over 20 years now, I believe we have freedoms we appreciate and would like to keep. I too enjoy those freedoms. Those are by no means the things I wish to change.

Additionally, our chamber has tried to bring businesses to our area that would also bring jobs, something we need desperately since we are one area that hasn't benefitted from the energy boom in Wyoming. But again the "fathers" of our community want to keep the "riff raff out".

Again, thanks for your explanation. I think that's what this board is all about. And I'm not about to leave just because there may be a new generation in Wyoming who want to be a part of a new era. And please keep in mind, those of us who come to your state are now a resident and a part of your state. I talk to WY residents who still think my opinion doesn't matter because I am a transplant.
Wyolady has some very good points. These small rocky mountain towns don't do much for youth. Drinking, drugs, feeling left out, and anger are the entertainment for teens and young adults in most small rocky mountain towns! they don't want to spend money on reck centers. they don't want to control the drinking and drugs. But then again, I guess they don't have the money either to do these things.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 AM

Since the OP was about Rawlins, I am glad to report that there is a very nice and active rec center here. They have a variety of programs for all ages. The Higher Ed offers an interesting selection of classes. I plan on giving an assortment of art classes for all ages next spring when I return. I consult for an after school program in another state that would be a nice addition to schools in WY.

Money is an issue but finding someone locally that is interested in writing the grants is the first step. Grant money can only be given to not-for-profit organizations. That is where area Art Councils come into the picture. Schools can also receive this type of funding. If you would like more info please DM me and I will be glad to help. I feel it is not so much that people don't care but they don't know what to do or where to find the money.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:42 AM

10 posts, read 39,339 times
Wink And your point is??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Read my profile friend.

I lived in Wyoming for 23 years, proud graduate of UW, Go Pokes. I worked for many years as a photojournalist for the Casper Star Tribune covering the wolf introduction in Yellowstone NP. I know a couple of lone wolves have made it to Rock Springs but not around Rawlins. Show me some documentations that wolves are around Rawlins and I will eat crow. It's not that bad with the right bbq sauce.

Even if a wolve was around Rawlins I suspect a rancher would take of it out pretty quick. I am sure if there was a wolf kill of any wildlife of any kind in the area, most everyone would know it. It would be big news. The wolf population in YNP grew faster than any of the experts predicted and as a result they are moving out of the park, no question about that. Ranchers should have the right to defend their livestock. There is a whole lot of good habitat between Rawlins and YNP aside from the 300+ miles between the two places.

As far as the "visit sometime, if you dare" comment. Rawlins doesn't have exclusive experience when it comes to tough Wyoming winter weather. Try driving down from Gillette to Douglas on Hy 59 during a blizzard. 110 miles of nothing. This was before Wright got built up when I lived in Gillette for 3 years.

You want severe weather, try living around Yellowstone. I lived in an old cabin built in 1905 for 12 years with no heat except for my woodstove supplied by wood I cut from the national forest with only a strong back, an old truck and my trusty Rancher 50 Husky saw. Fives chords a season. I loved it...just making it thru the day without the pipes freezing up, or the truck starting in the morning were simple goals but amazingly satisfying. Back in those days -40F was common in the winter.
Finally someone has come forward and admitted to seeing a wolf in Carbon County Wyoming, thank you. I'm not asking anyone to eat crow here, but if you feel the need, Burbanks in Cincinnati, OH. makes a fine one try the 'medium'. I kinda like Kingsford Original myself.
As far as Blizzards are concerned, I try to keep track of them, and make certain I am at home when one is coming, I definately have more sense than to try and drive in one. However, I was caught out in Ohio in the Blizzard of 1978 when it hit, no meteorologist even forcast it. I was on foot in that one going for food, only way you could travel legally, the state was shut down for a week.
I admire you for living in a 1905 cabin for 12 years, sounds like fun, but I don't see how you got by with just 5 cords of wood, back east I had to lay in 5-6 cords a season just for heat. Out here I'm guessing at 10-12 cords, and don't forget cooking wood. I cut my wood with a McCulloch 16". Don't know what you were burning up there in Yellowstone, but last I looked there wasn't much Oak or Hickory up around them parts, and that is the wood I used. Don't imagine that Lodge Pole pine would burn very long or hot, and according to 'your' words, you obviously don't know how to bank a fire very well.
Never said anything about Carbon Co. or Rawlins being 'exclusive' to bad winter weather, but it does get bad around these parts, just went through 3 days of 60mph winds, then it snowed, and now it is a balmy 8 degrees. What they call 'ground blizzards' are very common here, you obviously have seen movies of Antartica, and that is what it has been like here for the last 3 winters, not all the time, but pretty much most the time. Not worried about my truck starting, because I take care of it very well, what I do worry about is one of my doors getting ripped off when I go to get in in it, or get out.
To Wyolady, and Wyomiles?, no Rec Centers around here, but they did build a 'Community Center', so the well offs could have their gatherings and bring in entertainment for themselves, some person, and I say that lightly, even pays Juice Newton to come here once a year, now that's what I call entertainment! Especially for the kids! Wasn't she or he a 'has been' from about 30 years ago? Need I say more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming