Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 06:37 PM

81 posts, read 469,167 times

Advertisements

Wyoming has been doing some pretty vigorous labor recruitment in the state of Michigan. Lately I have been seeing signs that there is an effort underway to stop the exodus from Michigan. Recently an article appeared in the local paper that alleged that while it is true that there are numerous jobs available in Wyoming, most of them are low paying jobs. An allegation was made that the average wage is $9.00 an hour. It is my belief that our Communist Canadian Governor will say anything to prevent the sheeple from escaping from the ever increasing taxes and social programs that she has planned and that her media toadies are attempting to help her. So... is it true?... Are wages low in Wyoming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 07:03 PM

610 posts, read 3,318,852 times
Hi "I", me again. I was a little surprised to hear that the avg. wage is so high!! But after consideration, decided it may be true. There are highway jobs, belly-dump driver jobs, soda-ash mines, coal-mines, etc. and gas/oil-field work - all of those pay pretty well. Most of those require either a long daily drive or long hours away from home. There are also many trucking outfits based out of here. If you don't do any of these things, you're left with convenience stores, motels, restaurants and day labor. Some companies come in, put up a factory in a pre-used building and think they're doing us a favor by offering upwards of about 20 minimum-wage jobs ... which many people jump at! It's one of the areas where we've ended up with many single-mothers (happens all over the west) - and by the way, Wyoming was basically built by women - long ago - in the same circumstance.
Retail and office workers traditionally aren't so well paid as some fields. You can eke by - or you can get a pretty good job. My opinion though - is that yes, wages are low here. Only a half-million people to figure that average from.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:27 PM

49 posts, read 305,205 times
Default WDOC in Michigan

I know that the WDOC, (state penitentiary), has conducted recruiting efforts in Michigan within the past year, (among other states, also). The WDOC is very shorthanded when it comes to employees, and the reason I feel that circumstance exists, is because of the area the penitentiary is in, (Carbon County/Rawlins). There are no discount stores in this area, (Wal Marts/K-Marts), no Office/Home Depots et el, and I have heard from others that once they move here and discover that, although the area has a special beauty and does provide, (for the most part), a less stressful environment to live in, they don’t like it here because it is so desolate.

Starting wages, for a first-level officer at the prison anyway, is that of approximately $2,300 a month. New employees, (along with others), do acquire a raise in wages periodically, and there are, of course, insurance and retirement benefits also.

If you‘d be more interested in learning about this place of employment, and the only one whom I know of who has been recruiting in your state, this is the WDOC website link; http://doc.state.wy.us/corrections.asp (broken link)

Old 12-27-2006, 12:23 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
I read an article not long ago that rising energy prices have given the economy of Wyoming a huge shot in the arm.

Perhaps it's time for me to visit. I never have.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
...rising energy prices have given the economy of Wyoming a huge shot in the arm...
keep in mind this has happened in the past, and is cyclical. Just be prepared and bank some of the gravy, I hope WY state and counties use long foresight in planning as well, so they don't end up having to tax remaining residents to death - 'After-the-boom', to support an expensive infrastructure. The booms usually last 5-10 yrs. but depends how hungry the energy competitors get.

Unfortunately, U.S. politics and consumers are too fickle to become energy independent for the longterm & consumers continue to feed wealth to OPEC and China (via Walmart, and just about every other retailer)

Old 12-27-2006, 04:55 PM

291 posts, read 709,816 times
From the 3rd Quarter 2006 Economic Report at www.whywyoming.org

The statewide average weekly wage for the 4th Quarter 2005 was $682 ($35,464 annually), an increase of 6.5% over the 4th Quarter of 2004. Wyoming ranks #10 out of the 50 states in average wages, a marked improvement from #31 ten years ago.

4th Quarter 2005 Government wages led all other sectors in percentage growth, at 8.9% over the 4th quarter of 2004.

Unemployment in Wyoming increased to 3.6% in September 2006 but remained below the Mountain region (3.8%) and the U.S. (4.6%).

Wyoming’s 2nd Quarter 2006 total personal income increased 9.8% from a year earlier, the highest increase in all 50 states. Total personal income for the Rocky Mountain region increased 8.1% during the same period. Per capita income in Wyoming increased 6.4% in 2005, which ranks 3rd in the U.S.

Wyoming added 11,000 jobs in September 2006 (up 4.1%) from a year earlier. Wyoming ranked #4 in the U.S. in September 2006 for year over year growth in non-agricultural employment. Wyoming realized year over year employment gains in September 2006 in the following sectors: Natural Resources & Mining (3,300); Construction (2,500); Transportation & Utilities (800); Professional & Business Services (700); Wholesale Trade (700); Other Services (700); Education & Health Services (600); Manufacturing (600), Retail Trade (500); Leisure & Hospitality (400); Financial Activities (200); and Government (100). Information employment during the same period fell slightly (-100).

Old 12-27-2006, 07:26 PM

610 posts, read 3,318,852 times
Gee Rod, you're good with numbers.
I don't know a town in Wyoming that uses foresight ... well, Jackson perhaps. Doesn't mean there isn't one such town. As far as tax-burden, the latest newsie item involves turning I-80 (or a part) into toll-road. There is, currently, no state income tax. Sales tax is par. Property tax isn't something I know about but figure, anything the state does with tax money, there's only the half-mil residents and out-of-state companies to pay it ... and the gas/oil/mineral leases.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:51 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
like most places what you make is determined by what you are willing/able to do and how bad they need your skills in a givin area.wyoming is a place where certain industries pay well because they have to attract/retain workers.most of the best paying bluecollar jobs are in the less scenic parts of the state.there are great distances between cities and a lot of mens wives who move here arent used to living 50 miles from walmart and 175 miles from the nearest mall.i think wyoming is the greatest state in the country,my first wife disagreed.you have to be a certain type person to live there,it has the lowest population and there is a reason for that.as others have stated the economy there is cyclical,but right now its doing well.i'll be moving back in the spring,but i'd go back even if the ecnomy wasnt good because i like it there.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:16 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,151 times
Default low paying jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
Hi "I", me again. I was a little surprised to hear that the avg. wage is so high!! But after consideration, decided it may be true. There are highway jobs, belly-dump driver jobs, soda-ash mines, coal-mines, etc. and gas/oil-field work - all of those pay pretty well. Most of those require either a long daily drive or long hours away from home. There are also many trucking outfits based out of here. If you don't do any of these things, you're left with convenience stores, motels, restaurants and day labor. Some companies come in, put up a factory in a pre-used building and think they're doing us a favor by offering upwards of about 20 minimum-wage jobs ... which many people jump at! It's one of the areas where we've ended up with many single-mothers (happens all over the west) - and by the way, Wyoming was basically built by women - long ago - in the same circumstance.
Retail and office workers traditionally aren't so well paid as some fields. You can eke by - or you can get a pretty good job. My opinion though - is that yes, wages are low here. Only a half-million people to figure that average from.
I'm not sure if you work and live in WY or not but some of your information isn't very accurate. I am a receptionist/secretary and make a great wage - as do others that I know that do similar work. Even the fast food places are paying good wages in the boom areas. There are single mothers all over the united states - I don't know what WY and the west has to do with it. If you think wages are low here you haven't lived - or tried to live in Montana. As far as long hours go - it's called work- something that lots of people aren't willing to do anymore. And - almost anything in WY is a long drive.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:26 PM

81 posts, read 469,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
I'm not sure if you work and live in WY or not but some of your information isn't very accurate. I am a receptionist/secretary and make a great wage - as do others that I know that do similar work. Even the fast food places are paying good wages in the boom areas. There are single mothers all over the united states - I don't know what WY and the west has to do with it. If you think wages are low here you haven't lived - or tried to live in Montana. As far as long hours go - it's called work- something that lots of people aren't willing to do anymore. And - almost anything in WY is a long drive.
If you know that fast food places are paying "good" wages in boom areas then you must know what the wages are so please enlighten me. What is considered "good" wages not just for fast food but in general. Was my figure low?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming