Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 04:17 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiedorite View Post
I lived in Ogden Utah for a couple years and got along well with LDS folks. They're good folks, peaceful, work hard and plan ahead-of course.
True. I have read that Green River doesn't have all the amenities that Rock Springs has but that it might be a better residential community in terms of nice neighborhoods around town.

I've always been kind of intrigued by those two cities out by their lonesome down in that canyon. I've only been through there a couple of times but it is really interesting looking down in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 600 times
I work in Green River, WY (live in Rock Springs). The neighborhood you mention is not a bad one. But as others have mentioned crime in Green River is relatively low.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:30 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiedorite View Post
We are in our senior years and are thinking of moving to Green River WY in an area where the Probation Office and Child Development Center is and would like to know if anyone knows about crime int hat particular area? I tis near Western Wyoming Community College.
That area (and really all of GR) is very safe.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:36 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Looks like Green River is 20% LDS which is way more than any other religious group but it does look like there are all the other denominations represented there as well. (according to one site I looked at but cannot link per TDS).
I would say that number feels low from personal experience (I grew up in GR, parents still live there). Neither good nor bad, but the LDS church has a significant presence.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
I would say that number feels low from personal experience (I grew up in GR, parents still live there). Neither good nor bad, but the LDS church has a significant presence.
Yes, that data seems odd but mostly because they said that in Green River 50% were "unaffiliated". 20% LDS and then the next highest was 4%.

Looking up the actual churches themselves it looks like Green River has all your typical denominations and a few non denominational churches. But it looks like they have three different LDS physical buildings which I assume would represent different wards. Three separate wards seems like a lot for a fairly small town. Which makes it seem even more impossible for 50% to be unaffiliated.

But I think my main point in posting the info is that if a person is non LDS it looks like Green River looks to have a variety of non LDS churches in town. For instance I grew up Lutheran and they have a Lutheran church there.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:21 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
If we are using the same data source (probably, which isn't the original research source), the survey is done by contacting congregations who self report estimated active adherents.

The data is reported at county level. So if there are differences between Green River and Rock Springs or in town and in the country, the survey will not know and just reports the county average. GR could be higher LDS than RS or rural county and under-reported.

A sense of how high religious affiliation is can come by comparing counties but the data is not necessarily super accurate. Local groups might define adherent levels differently for their own reasons. Actual individuals might not agree witg what the congregation thinks / says about them.

Green River may be higher than Rock Springs and anything further east. Involvement does appear significantly lower than Evanston and further west.

Data is 10 years old now, new survey underway. Long ago is was done by government; but nowadays it a private coalition working with churches.

Treat the data as a loose guide. For some places the data is pretty definitive. For others, it is more vague and probably more vague in real life too. If you count former adherents (in the official eyes of the congregation), the grand total of active and viewed as former / not may be significantly higher.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-22-2020 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-22-2020, 11:49 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Here is Sweetwater County data from the original research source: The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports

It appears that what is reported at secondary sources is estimated adherents, which it turns out is defined the same as active members.

The blank form to make other county (or state) searches: http://www.thearda.com/RCMS2010/selectCountyA.asp

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-22-2020 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-22-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Here is Sweetwater County data from the original research source: The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports

It appears that what is reported at secondary sources is estimated adherents, which it turns out is defined the same as active members.

The blank form to make other county (or state) searches: Select County Report | Maps and Reports | The Association of Religion Data Archives |
Good find.

Surprised there are that many Catholics there. But that list of churches shows that there are quite a number of different types of churches there. Like I said, I grew up Lutheran and they have three Lutheran churches in the county including two Missouri Synods which is the type I grew up in.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:24 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times
Surely, it is good to know that people here at least believe in SOMETHING...

...whether or not they actually practice what they preach, is another thing entirely.

Tread carefully, and choose wisely...for this is truly a region where 'Birds of a Feather' flock-together...

...and when they sense the presense of an 'outsider' in thier midst...it is not uncommon for them to react (albeit in a more 'subtle'(ie: P.C.) fashion) in a manner somewhat similar to a certain Hitchcock film, most of us might be familiar with.

In other words: if you are'nt quite 'Towing the Line'...they do have WAYS of letting you know about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming