Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 05:04 PM

430 posts, read 1,174,835 times

Advertisements

My husband is in MInnesota I;m in Michigan. I'm trying to get him from Minnesota to Cheyenne on either Amtrak or greyhound. I have been to both sites and I'm ready to give up. I really want him to take this job in Cheyenne if I can get him there. In Minnesota he took a job and was able to get a room in a house which was cheaper than a hotel. What do you think the chances will be to find that in Cheyenne. He is 44 so he isn't into sharing with young college kids. We need to save every penny as our family needs to join him in June. Please tell the truth is the winter better or worse than it would be in Minnesota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 PM

15 posts, read 55,360 times
http://www.greyhound.com/home/TicketCenter/Step2.asp?Error=203&OriginState=Choose&Destination State=Choose&Legs=1&Adults=1&Child2=0&Child5=0&Sen iors=0&DMonth=5&DDay=1&DHr=&RMonth=5&RDay=1&RHr= (broken link)

You didn't say where he is in Mn, so I chose St. Paul to Cheyenne.
The fare is $125 one way. It takes "1 day, 5 hrs. and 10 minutes" for the trip.

Greyhound stops all along I-80 in Cheyenne, Laramie, etc.
Amtrak discontinued service to Laramie and everywhere else around 1990 I think. Cheyenne is a major sized town in Wyoming. I'm sure he can find a place to live there.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:36 PM

430 posts, read 1,623,163 times
Amtrak runs to Denver. Is similar in price as bus on many trips - but like airlines, all are different. I would say that the winters between MN & Chey-town are very different. Most of MN is just snow snow snow all winter long whereas Chey-town has snow, then none for awhile, then snow again but a lot of wind & if you've experienced ground blizzards - you can get totally landlocked in Cheyenne with no way out legally. Isn't common, but happened to US when we moved to Wyo 30 years ago!!! Took us 5 days to move from Littleton, CO to Wheatland - about 170 miles. 2 days just to get north of the Boulder turnpike in north Denver area, next night in Ft. Collins (about 45 or so miles further), next day & night in Chey-town - all because interestate closures. Then on day #5 I-80 east opened up from Cheyenne east & we we went east to Kimball then north to Scottsbluff on a single lane that was open to be SHARED going thru the sandhills by north & southbound traffic. I was SURE we would die out there. This was Thanksgiving weekend of 1979 - any of you remember that down thre???? At Little America there were drifts (not snow but drifts) of 98-102". Was worst blizzard in recorded history. And we moved that weekend. Hmmmmm.....LOL!!! But don't regret a DAY of it. So, all I can say about comparing winters is that it is TOTALLY different. But quite a bit of wind - and as anywhere in Wyo, be ALWAYS prepared not to get to (or back from) your destination by taking plenty of sleeping bags, blankets, dry clothes, candle, water, food, etc. etc. And money for motels if you are lucky enuff to be in a town where you can get a room.

There's a LOT of new housing in Cheyenne, though you can also move south towards Ft. Collins or down the Greeley Hwy southeast of Cheyenne - more opportunities. Or Pine Bluffs east of Chey on I-80. At least to get started. But unfortunately so much of the new housing in Chey is NOT affordable for the common man. Good luck....hope you can work it out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming