Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:16 PM

72 posts, read 239,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
As a WY frequenter, I've noticed some trends over the past 25 years. Sadly,it seems to me that Jackson and Cody have become synonomous to Aspen and Glenwood Springs, i.e., the billionaires in Jackson have pushed the millionaires down valley to Cody.
Am I right?
And to Sheridan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 01:29 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,178 times
Sad. I thought Sheridan would be an idyllic place to retire someday. I guess if you're near the hills and a trout stream it's bound to happen. I'm surprised the Encampment and Saratoga areas haven't been exploited as much. Still rustic, beautiful places. As one who grew up in rural CO, I'm looking for a new place to hide. As I've said before, I wouldn't wish whats happened in CO over the last 25 years upon anyone.
I hope I'm a "greenie" you could put up with!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:27 PM

72 posts, read 239,103 times
Saratoga and Encampment have their own wealthy contingent.......I think much of that is summer residency. Being above 7000' does keep some folk away for the winter. We lived there for about 7 years, and at the time, thought houses in some areas were way out of the middle class reach. It's been almost 10 years since we moved from the upper platte valley, so don't really know what's been happening there.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:23 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,326 times
Of course, I meant real cowboys. Not the hat and buckle wearing line dancers. CA is the #1 ag state in the nation. It's a farming and ranching mecca. We're not all a bunch of big city liberals here. When I was a kid I heard these same things about people moving to my area in CA. "They're trying to change things", "they think we are small town idiots, and they think they're going to show us the right way". I heard that 25 years ago. And I agree. It always killed me that some guy from L.A. would move up here and a year later try to get on the city council. But here, they got elected. That would be my number one piece of advice. DO NOT ELECT ANYONE FROM CA TO YOUR LOCAL GOVT., especially if they're from the city. I absolutely believe there are people from CA moving back there that share your ideals and do not want to change a way of life. Just to be on the safe side don't elect any of them. People from Quincy, Redding, and Bakersfield? I honestly can't believe those people are being a problem. Bakersfield? The State of Oklahoma populated that town. There are more churches there, per capita, than anywhere in the country. If any liberals live there, they hide.

Look, I'm from a small community. Members of my family farmed and ranched. I'm conservative minded. I hate that all of us out here get painted with a broad brush. I have thought about WY as a possible place to retire. I don't want to change anyone's way of life. It kills me that we are all thoght of as a$$h*les. Also, I hope no one thinks that I've come off like a jerk, it just frustrates me that the Californians who have left gave us all a bad name. I would like to ask questions about the state, so I hope haven't pissed anyone off. If I did, I didn't mean too. We're not all the same out here.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:16 PM

362 posts, read 918,847 times
CA, I know what you mean. To stereotype someone because of where they come from is VERY narrow minded but folks do it all the time. What counts is, what is the PERSON like as an individual, regardless of where they happen to be from. Pretty simple. "Blanket statements" are VERY ignorant and require a minimal thought process.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:23 PM

33 posts, read 123,053 times
I agree with ccc. Voting for anyone from CA is like commiting suicide for Wy. I say this as they are trying to take over rural property with eminent domain laws.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,221 times
You guys should get a load of what the natives of Bellingham, Washington are saying about the influx of retired Californians who have infiltrated that area-driving up property taxes, etc. Check that one out on CD!! It isn't pretty!!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:00 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,588,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Bakersfield? The State of Oklahoma populated that town. There are more churches there, per capita, than anywhere in the country. If any liberals live there, they hide.
CAcc,
It's funny that you mention this. If you read the posts about Bakersfield in the CA forum, there are lots of posts by people that can't stand it there. It's usually because it's far too conservative for them. One of the things I've read is that there are too many churches (and people that attend them) there. I find it amazing that these people settle into a conservative area and then have the gall to put it down because it isn't liberal enough for them. It's already gotten more liberal than I would like, so if they all moved away, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I have liked Bakersfield for many years, and it was primarily because of the conservative, small town values that were espoused by the community. That is one of the things I also happen to like about almost all of Wyoming.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,221 times
Just to throw everyone for a loop; I happen to be married to an, "Okie," Who is on the Cherokee Role, and we have two adopted African American children, I've been told I look like Julia Roberts (a much shorter version with lighter skin).

We consider ourselves, "Bleeding Heart Conservatives." I'm an ex-atheist who lived in the Bay Area for many years guilty of calling people 'Jesus Freaks' only to become one (happily).

I "get" every single one of you!!!

Last edited by jadybug; 05-21-2008 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 10:36 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,580,860 times
QUESTION: So what is the population of California transplants in Wyoming? In Colorado it's almost 20% or about 1 out of 5 million of our population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming