Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 02:07 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times

Advertisements

I guess the low profile sports car will still get blown around in the wind gusts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 02:14 PM

233 posts, read 276,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Nice reminder. I for one do not miss driving on interstate 80 in the winter. That is an experience of its own.
Never liked driving on 25 around Chugwater either. I once lost the contents of my Diamond Reo cabover 30 at the rest area when my swamper opened his door, the same time opened mine!

And I saw the report for Elk Mountain-Arlington which someone sent me. I wouldn't drive there even with a D8 on the Landoll.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:43 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwyocowboy View Post
Never liked driving on 25 around Chugwater either. I once lost the contents of my Diamond Reo cabover 30 at the rest area when my swamper opened his door, the same time opened mine!

And I saw the report for Elk Mountain-Arlington which someone sent me. I wouldn't drive there even with a D8 on the Landoll.
I-25 is no picnic either. I did a 180 and went off the road once near Kaycee. It was a hockey rink there and on I-90. In general I would try avoiding driving on interstates or highways in winter in Wyoming. Not for the faint hearted. Nor is my current location.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:52 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I guess the low profile sports car will still get blown around in the wind gusts?
Yes, indeed.

The “best” handling “sporty” car I drove in these gusty conditions was 107 chassis M-B’s ... from an early 350SL through a bunch of later 450SL’s. Always with the hard tops on so I could heat the interior/defrost windshield as needed. You might recall that these were fairly low profile but rather heavy cars with a wide stance. My ‘77 SLC probably was the best of the bunch but it was prudent to park it once the roads got slick/snowy each year.
At that, I encountered the gusty wind conditions in warm months and decided I was “done” with sport(y) cars here in Wyoming.

A few years later, I got bitten by the roadster bug again and bought a 1976 AlfaRomeo 2-liter spider ... with fond memories of the similar cars I’d owned decades ago and enjoyed many a pleasant mountain drive in Colorado on commutes to Vail or Aspen. The ‘77 was a mechanical restoration project at 57,000 miles ... so I rebuilt the engine/trans/clutch, new starter, new front suspension components, brakes, fuel pumps, fuel injection pump, new radiator, aux electric engine fan ... the works. Took it out for the break-in miles on a gorgeous June day here in Wyoming ... headed to Saratoga to soak and put some miles on the car. Took the back roads rather than the interstate so I’d have opportunities to work the engine and gearbox rather than grind out freeway miles. Suffice to say that memories of the pleasant trips of yesteryear were not to be repeated ... the gusty winds that day blew sand/dust into my eyes and made for a most unpleasant driving experience. I had to put the soft-top up, which made for an uncomfortably hot cabin but at least I didn’t have the eyeballs getting dusted anymore. The car, with the mechanical aspects of the resto completed, has now sat in my yard for several years awaiting the cosmetic restoration ... long enough now that the new soft top I’d installed is now in shreds from the Wyoming UV and wind gusts tearing it up. Probably put no more than break-in miles and the head gasket retorque on it and have little interest in driving it again ... and yes, the wind gusts push this car all over the road on dry pavement. On slick days, this car would be a disaster to drive ... pushed off the road even as you drive pointed straight ahead, it will go sideways.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Yes, indeed..
Even seen a WYHP Camaro in a ditch there.

https://images40.fotki.com/v1143/pho...pca0281-vi.jpg

Old 10-19-2020, 02:47 PM

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2020/10...-time-of-year/

Old 10-19-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Yes, indeed.

The “best” handling “sporty” car I drove in these gusty conditions was 107 chassis M-B’s ... from an early 350SL through a bunch of later 450SL’s. Always with the hard tops on so I could heat the interior/defrost windshield as needed. You might recall that these were fairly low profile but rather heavy cars with a wide stance. My ‘77 SLC probably was the best of the bunch but it was prudent to park it once the roads got slick/snowy each year.
At that, I encountered the gusty wind conditions in warm months and decided I was “done” with sport(y) cars here in Wyoming.

A few years later, I got bitten by the roadster bug again and bought a 1976 AlfaRomeo 2-liter spider ... with fond memories of the similar cars I’d owned decades ago and enjoyed many a pleasant mountain drive in Colorado on commutes to Vail or Aspen. The ‘77 was a mechanical restoration project at 57,000 miles ... so I rebuilt the engine/trans/clutch, new starter, new front suspension components, brakes, fuel pumps, fuel injection pump, new radiator, aux electric engine fan ... the works. Took it out for the break-in miles on a gorgeous June day here in Wyoming ... headed to Saratoga to soak and put some miles on the car. Took the back roads rather than the interstate so I’d have opportunities to work the engine and gearbox rather than grind out freeway miles. Suffice to say that memories of the pleasant trips of yesteryear were not to be repeated ... the gusty winds that day blew sand/dust into my eyes and made for a most unpleasant driving experience. I had to put the soft-top up, which made for an uncomfortably hot cabin but at least I didn’t have the eyeballs getting dusted anymore. The car, with the mechanical aspects of the resto completed, has now sat in my yard for several years awaiting the cosmetic restoration ... long enough now that the new soft top I’d installed is now in shreds from the Wyoming UV and wind gusts tearing it up. Probably put no more than break-in miles and the head gasket retorque on it and have little interest in driving it again ... and yes, the wind gusts push this car all over the road on dry pavement. On slick days, this car would be a disaster to drive ... pushed off the road even as you drive pointed straight ahead, it will go sideways.
I can see why you were done with the sports cars in Wyoming. The snow will make it even worse on these RWD vehicles. The low profile deters the wind and cuts through it at least it does under normal cirumstances / weather. Don't get blown around like with SUV's or tractor trailers. I would think that the wind blasting sand would also ruin/scratch up the paint finish on these cherished vehicles. Going to need something with ground clearance for snow and switch vehicle during snow months over to a Subaru or other type of AWD vehicle with snow tires.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwyocowboy View Post
Even seen a WYHP Camaro in a ditch there.

https://images40.fotki.com/v1143/pho...pca0281-vi.jpg
The Mustang 5.0 was the better vehicle but very deadly on wet pavement. 360 spinout.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:25 AM

16 posts, read 22,335 times
Don't forget Iowa!

We had snow squalls yesterday that stopped traffic through the center, basically followed I-80, and the northern squall part got 9" of snow and the south part got 1.5". Winds were at blizzard mph.

Thursday will be 70 to 80 depending on which station you watch the weather on.

I'm in sw IA and the trees are losing the beautiful leaves, forget raking, the winds are blowing them away, forget washing the car, loose sand and dirt blow right back on, etc.

My hubby and I took our vacation to our fav spot, Jackson Hole, during Jan to get away from the neg zero degrees and wind chills. It was our first Winter vaca and it was awesome! During the Elk Refuge Sleigh Ride everyone else was bundled plus blankets and we were unzipping. Seeing the wildlife in the Teton Nat'l Park was so beautiful! Specially the sun coming up while facing the Tetons. I cry on the plane when we first see them from the arriving plane and cry when we see them for last time leaving. We're looking to retire in MT because we love it but know we can't afford anything near JH. We also fell in love with the NW and are hoping to buy a place somewhere around Eureka, Troy, Sandpoint, etc.

Love WY and MT!!!!!

Old 10-20-2020, 12:26 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shardunk81 View Post
Don't forget Iowa!

We had snow squalls yesterday that stopped traffic through the center, basically followed I-80, and the northern squall part got 9" of snow and the south part got 1.5". Winds were at blizzard mph.

Thursday will be 70 to 80 depending on which station you watch the weather on.

I'm in sw IA and the trees are losing the beautiful leaves, forget raking, the winds are blowing them away, forget washing the car, loose sand and dirt blow right back on, etc.

My hubby and I took our vacation to our fav spot, Jackson Hole, during Jan to get away from the neg zero degrees and wind chills. It was our first Winter vaca and it was awesome! During the Elk Refuge Sleigh Ride everyone else was bundled plus blankets and we were unzipping. Seeing the wildlife in the Teton Nat'l Park was so beautiful! Specially the sun coming up while facing the Tetons. I cry on the plane when we first see them from the arriving plane and cry when we see them for last time leaving. We're looking to retire in MT because we love it but know we can't afford anything near JH. We also fell in love with the NW and are hoping to buy a place somewhere around Eureka, Troy, Sandpoint, etc.

Love WY and MT!!!!!
I think you've missed my point re Wyoming weather patterns, their persistence, and the many more months of their extremes compared to other states.

I've always acknowledged that other states/regions have their moments of inclement weather. But the difference here is that what you experienced in IA for a day is but a small example of what we deal with in Wyoming for months.

Otherwise, your post makes so many false equivalencies that it's confused. JH is not what most of Wyoming is about (nor can most of Wyoming folk afford to do anything more than visit there) ... nor are the places you mention around the NW anything
like most of Wyoming.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Wyoming, but I think you'll find gorgeous vista's and mountain views to be had in many places around the USA besides JH which are equally inspiring. But that's only part of the overall picture to compare re access, climate, and activities ... the realities of living in these places.

PS: by way of comparison, take a look at a "hardiness zones" map of the USA. SW IA is in a Zone 5 while most of WY is Zone 4, which is another 10-20F lower average winter temps than SW IA. At that, the JH area is in Zone 3, which is yet again a lower temp area than Zone 4. While SW IA will experience cold weather during their winter months, the area's cold days are of far shorter total duration than those of Wyoming at altitude. IOW, the growing season in SW IA is far longer than that of WY, another indicator of the severity of Wyoming winters. Again, I'll point out that much of Wyoming sits at a higher elevation than IA, and the "lapse rate" for temperature is approx 3F per 1,000' of elevation gain. IOW, all other factors being equal on a winter day, at 5,000'-6,000' elevation for much of Wyoming, it's going to be 15F-18F colder than IA for the day/night. With much stronger sustained winds and gusts here in Wyoming, the chill factor becomes more significant for comfort and outdoor activity levels.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-20-2020 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming