Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 11:52 AM

11 posts, read 11,414 times

Advertisements

I’m considering buying property in Wyoming. Primary reasons being low level of bureaucracy, cost of living, open space, natural beauty and strong sensibilities with regard to individual liberties including and especially gun rights.

Teton county is beautiful, but too expensive and I don’t want to be in a very touristy area and as far as Wyoming goes, in my experience this is as far as one can get from my criteria, along with Laramie.

Another caveat is that I’m a piano technician, so I’d have to be close to an area that has, well, pianos. Typically college towns, which roughly speaking aren’t known these days for being sympathetic to my criteria either. So I may have to come up with some other way to earn an income.

Am I being unrealistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 12:12 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
There is supply and apparently demand.

https://www.google.com/search?client...QCYAQCgAQHAAQE

If you want "smallish", maybe Sheridan or Cody. Unless you define smallish differently.

Call a few and see if anybody is interested in an associate or will talk at all.

Old 11-14-2020, 03:16 PM

233 posts, read 276,585 times
Please define what you mean by city? The only two I am aware of are Casper 55,000 pop and Cheyenne 65,000; even Laramie is just a larger town 35,000 pop

Old 11-14-2020, 11:31 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwyocowboy View Post
Please define what you mean by city? The only two I am aware of are Casper 55,000 pop and Cheyenne 65,000; even Laramie is just a larger town 35,000 pop
Those are some big numbers and population. How about Gillette or Powell

Old 11-15-2020, 01:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Try Powell - family friendly, cheaper than Teton county, cheaper than Cody.
Far better place to raise a family than Laramie or Casper (IMHO).

(U can service Cody and Lovell pianos from Powell with a monthly piano trip to Sheridan / Buffalo and another to Thermopolis / Lander / Riverton). Maybe even Billings?

How many clients do you need?
Other sources of income?

Quote:

Sheridan / Buffalo look available. Nice area, more expensive that Powell (Each has a CCollege). Lovell has a pretty substantial LDS population IIRC, they may have more pianos in their homes. Certainly have a family oriented community, and usually a pretty strong community support structure.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwyocowboy View Post
I’m not so much concerned with population numbers as I am with density and congestion - probably not much to worry about in this regard in Wyoming, at least not in the near future. I probably could / should have said “cities other than Jackson”.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post

If you want "smallish", maybe Sheridan or Cody. Unless you define smallish differently.

Call a few and see if anybody is interested in an associate or will talk at all.
Thanks, I should do that. I plan on moving my business of the past ten years along with me, but having something to land on would be smart.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Try Powell - family friendly, cheaper than Teton county, cheaper than Cody.
Far better place to raise a family than Laramie or Casper (IMHO).

(U can service Cody and Lovell pianos from Powell with a monthly piano trip to Sheridan / Buffalo and another to Thermopolis / Lander / Riverton). Maybe even Billings?

How many clients do you need?
Other sources of income?

Sheridan / Buffalo look available. Nice area, more expensive that Powell (Each has a CCollege). Lovell has a pretty substantial LDS population IIRC, they may have more pianos in their homes. Certainly have a family oriented community, and usually a pretty strong community support structure.
Can you tell me more about why you think Powell is better for raising a family?

Not sure how many clients I’d need at this point as I don’t know what the market dynamics are in various regions. But very good point on the LDS populations being a possible client base.

I’m pretty focused on Wyoming. Montana is just too far north and I think Wy is a better option culturally for my tastes.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:18 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rujack View Post

But very good point on the LDS populations being a possible client base.
which is why you need to research your possible location marketplaces very carefully. IF you have a competitor in the piano biz who is an LDS member and you are not, you will not get their business. That's just the way it is, the members seek to support those of their group if at all possible. They will do so even if it's not as convenient or the quality of work product that you may provide might be better.

PS: I had a neighbor in the furniture refinishing biz who did a lot of piano cases for a number of people in the piano retail biz throughout Wyoming. It seemed to me that there was a lot of activity and a fair number of pro's established here already. I know of one company in Cheyenne that employs at least 4 people and they service piano's throughout Wyoming, with full service/repairs/tuning/moving, and restorations. From what I've seen, there's quite an active marketplace as well as a fair number of established tuners/piano service companies serving the area already.

While it's been a few years since the auction, I went to a ranch auction 25 miles West of Laramie for ranch/farm equipment of interest to me. In one of their barns, they'd had a sizable piano service business and retail sales. I hadn't paid attention to the sale bill, but there were over 30 piano's in various stages of restoration there. Apparently, she was the tuner/technician/piano teacher and her husband did all the moving work and restorations/refinishing. IOW, you'll likely find competitors here in some very unlikely, even remote, places who do this as a sideline to their primary business. Such is the nature of a lot of service type businesses throughout Wyoming ... pro's who don't necessarily have retail storefronts but expertise and facilities for their businesses.

Last edited by sunsprit; 11-15-2020 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-15-2020, 10:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rujack View Post
Can you tell me more about why you think Powell is better for raising a family?

I have found that agriculture centric towns often have a very strong family support community, and people tend to work together for mutual goals. This seems to be the case in Powell. Tourist / trendy / energy towns do not have the long-term commitment and relationships of farmers (who are not likely to relocate often).

As SS mentioned, do understand the existing market and where you would be positioned if available / needs for more businesses in your expertise. Correct that if in an LDS community, they support their own. (Including bringing in that service from elsewhere if available from an LDS owned business.). Know your market!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming