Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 10:23 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times

Advertisements

Buffalo, Gillette, Douglas, Wheatland, Riverton, Greybull, Evanston.. land / house budget should be ok in those spots.

3A girls swim teams
http://www.whsaa.org/stateevents/swi...s/3a/index.htm Click team scores then open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 09:41 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagler85 View Post
Hi All,
Always been a reader but never a poster on these forums. Have used it many times as we have traveled all over the US and I used to travel for a job I had and used the information on here to help me out alot. So thank you! Anyhow couple of questions on relocation but First my background and credentials. Any feedback would be great! I know some of this has been answered before but I was hoping to find some educators to help me out specifically.

About us:
I have taught for 10 years (Spent 3 in the private sector, My wife for 13 years. I have been a varasity football assistant coach for 11 of those years and a track coach for 13. Athletics and extra curriculars are important to me as they helped me get to where I am today and I have seen the positive impact of them across the board from band to football.

Our community is very supportive of their school system. I live in a town in rural Indiana of 1,000 people. 15 minutes from the biggest down in the county at 10,000 people. and 40 minutes from the largest city Ft. Wayne 250k people. Indy is 2.5 Hours away. We dont travel to the cities often at all. Just The local town of 10k for Walmart and Kroger ect. Plus that is where our high school is. Big football town too.

We would like to buy land and build All in 450k budget maybe 500k. I had 10 Acres. Like to have animals like we have had. Sheep, horses ect for 4H. I know this is dependent on the type of land I can purchase for live stock.

Our First area of Interest would be along the Big Horns Buffalo through Sheridan and the communities in between. Mainly because of the recreation in the mountains. I have hunted the area and we have visited alot.I have been through winters in Utah (My company I worked for was based out of there). Winters here in Northern Indiana while different than Wyo can be long and GRAY. Winters have been mild lately but have been through plenty so cold does not bother us. heck I drove through Ice and sleet on my way in today)

Wyoming is a beautiful state and I can honest say I have visited every portion of the state. I do know one thing. I do think the wind down in I-80 land would kick my butt. That stuff is the REAL DEAL.

I am not opposed to rural teaching either. Kaycee or similar size. I would prefer to be a little closer to a town the size of Buffalo as we do have younger kids and having a doc close is always a good thing.

[b]What is important to us in a community:
We are very active in our community and community support is huge especially for extra curriculars.
Athletics/4H/FFA/Arts/basically anything to keep our kids involved in the community and belong.
YMCA
Youth Groups
Outdoor Rec.
BAsically we want to be involved and accepted in our community whilce being able to build relationships with people and for our children to make freinds and grow.

[b]Questions

1. I know Wyoming is experiencing budget cuts right now. How bad is it effecting K12? Layoffs?
2. I noticed some of the small schools do a 4 day schedule? Is that for PD reasons or just travel reasons?
3. I have a daughter really into swimming. I know Buffalo has a swim team. Any others as well?
4. How open are the communties to out of staters? I ask this because I have heard people in my community can kind of leave others out at times. Have heard that from some and not others. I just think it is what you make of a small town.
5. My district has been a 1:1 tech school for a decade. Any schools 1:1?
6. What do you think of my housing budget doable?

I am very familiar with the outdoor recreation which is why we visit and why we would relocate. Any other advice please let me know!

From this Hoosier thank you ahead of time and I look forward to chatting!

Teaching Licesencsue in the following:

Elementary Education K-6
Special Education K-12
CTE: Business Vocational Tech 5-12
Social Studies (History) 5-12

Wife's Licenses:
Elementary Education K-6
Special Education K-6

Thanks Again Guys and we love Wyoming definately our favorite place to visit. Great people and beautiful scenery.
I lived in. Wyoming for eight years and was treated like an outsider the entire time. While it may he possible to get hired when you aren't a local there is definitely a preference for locals. Something to be aware of. Pay is much higher than Montana

Old 12-05-2020, 10:06 AM

400 posts, read 454,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I lived in. Wyoming for eight years and was treated like an outsider the entire time. While it may he possible to get hired when you aren't a local there is definitely a preference for locals. Something to be aware of. Pay is much higher than Montana
A preference for a local person when looking for a long term employee can be a factor. But then again, the local person has earned their reputation and it is a known quantity, be it good or bad. It’s a double edged sword.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:42 AM

138 posts, read 172,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Preference for locals is real, but it also very much depends on your area of licensing. An in-demand specialty like special education or foreign language (other than Spanish) or maybe math and science would probably tip the balance a bit. But elementary, social studies and English are likely to be tipped more toward the locals.

After five years, there's some degree of outsider treatment for me in some places, but it really helped when I bought a house. I later found out that I had family living in Wyoming during the territory and early state days. Oddly, that fact gets respect from some people.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:45 PM

400 posts, read 454,244 times
Quote:
After five years, there's some degree of outsider treatment for me in some places, but it really helped when I bought a house.
This is absolutely true. If you’re living in an apartment, it’s more of a transient environment. Buy a house and you put down roots. Your neighbors and you instantly share concerns and community pride. Start a family and when your kids become involved in school activities and start making their own friends, this leads to you meeting more people and forming friendships.

Our dearest friends are our neighbors and people we met while the kids played school sports.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:50 PM

25 posts, read 19,588 times
Quote:
[b]Questions

1. I know Wyoming is experiencing budget cuts right now. How bad is it effecting K12? Layoffs?

I haven't seen anyone address this point - so I will. Wyoming isn't just experiencing budget cuts, it's experiencing the worst structural decline in revenue in it's history. Essentially, Wyoming derives the vast majority of it's tax revenue from the extractive industries. Coal, Oil, Gas, Trona and Uranium to be specific. Coal specifically had been the bedrock of Wyoming's revenue as it's less inclined to the wild price swings of those other commodities. Wyoming shipped out around 400M tons of coal in 2010. It's on track to do 200M this year.

All those nice schools you see around the state weren't actually financed by the local community. They were paid for by coal lease "bonus" payments. When the mines expanded, some of the $$ from leases went into a special fund for school building. That's gone, and I'm doubtful if any of the mines will ever pursue another lease. Not to mention the prospect of the feds even allowing that with the new administration. Even the big players Peabody Energy and Arch Resources are in trouble and Arch has publicly said they are wanting to exit the market.

Now, as a homeowner I pay about $1600 a year in property tax. About 60% of that goes to the local school district. So about $1000. Not even enough to send one kid to school, never mind multiple kids. Wouldn't be enough if we paid teachers 30k and had 40 kids in a class either. I don't have kids and gladly pay my portion but the writing is on the wall. The people of Wyoming largely aren't paying for the excellent education system we have.

As far as impact on K-12 it's been fairly muted so far. As others have pointed out we have numerous court decisions that guide education and therefore the Governor hasn't attempted to directly make cuts. General state government is under a hiring freeze and most agencies have been cut 10% and are about to initiate another 10%. State employees are being furloughed and just had their health insurance cut in the midst of COVID. University and Community Colleges getting whacked as well. As it stands K-12 education is being "propped up" by the rainy day fund, which will be completely out of money in less than two year if no changes are made.

What has our legislature done to bring in any additional revenue to help with this imbalance? Nothing. Beer tax? No. Remove Sales Tax Exemptions? No. Income Tax on High Earners? No. Tax on high dollar real estate purchases? No. Big Box Corporate Tax? No. A general property tax increase? No. In fact a portion of the legislature just banded together to form the "Freedom Caucus" and have said they will oppose any tax proposals that may be brought forward.

I'm a lifelong conservative republican who isn't thrilled about paying taxes but you have to pay for government and education somehow. As I said above, we as Wyomingites haven't been doing that. A number I keep seeing thrown around is 300M-400M in cuts to education. Natrona County (Casper) did the math and it would result in laying off 23% of their staff.

We are in serious trouble. Hope that helped.

Last edited by EH466; 12-06-2020 at 09:03 PM..

Old 12-06-2020, 09:11 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EH466 View Post
I haven't seen anyone address this point - so I will. Wyoming isn't just experiencing budget cuts, it's experiencing the worst structural decline in revenue in it's history. Essentially, Wyoming derives the vast majority of it's tax revenue from the extractive industries. Coal, Oil, Gas, Trona and Uranium to be specific. Coal specifically had been the bedrock of Wyoming's revenue as it's less inclined to the wild price swings of those other commodities. Wyoming shipped out around 400M tons of coal in 2010. It's on track to do 200M this year.

All those nice schools you see around the state weren't actually financed by the local community. They were paid for by coal lease "bonus" payments. When the mines expanded, some of the $$ from leases went into a special fund for school building. That's gone, and I'm doubtful if any of the mines will ever pursue another lease. Not to mention the prospect of the feds even allowing that with the new administration. Even the big players Peabody Energy and Arch Resources are in trouble and Arch has publicly said they are wanting to exit the market.

Now, as a homeowner I pay about $1600 a year in property tax. About 60% of that goes to the local school district. So about $1000. Not even enough to send one kid to school, never mind multiple kids. Wouldn't be enough if we paid teachers 30k and had 40 kids in a class either. I don't have kids and gladly pay my portion but the writing is on the wall. The people of Wyoming largely aren't paying for the excellent education system we have.

As far as impact on K-12 it's been fairly muted so far. As others have pointed out we have numerous court decisions that guide education and therefore the Governor hasn't attempted to directly make cuts. General state government is under a hiring freeze and most agencies have been cut 10% and are about to initiate another 10%. State employees are being furloughed and just had their health insurance cut in the midst of COVID. University and Community Colleges getting whacked as well. As it stands K-12 education is being "propped up" by the rainy day fund, which will be completely out of money in less than two year if no changes are made.

What has our legislature done to bring in any additional revenue to help with this imbalance? Nothing. Beer tax? No. Remove Sales Tax Exemptions? No. Income Tax on High Earners? No. Tax on high dollar real estate purchases? No. Big Box Corporate Tax? No. A general property tax increase? No. In fact a portion of the legislature just banded together to form the "Freedom Caucus" and have said they will oppose any tax proposals that may be brought forward.

I'm a lifelong conservative republican who isn't thrilled about paying taxes but you have to pay for government and education somehow. As I said above, we as Wyomingites haven't been doing that. A number I keep seeing thrown around is 300M-400M in cuts to education. Natrona County (Casper) did the math and it would result in laying off 23% of their staff.

Holy ****!

Old 12-07-2020, 05:58 AM

17 posts, read 16,892 times
Thanks All for the responses! I understand where most are coming from on being treated as an outsider. I have heard that issue in our community too.

I do beleive purchasing a residence in the community shows deep rooted interest and that you will be willing to invest in the community and stay a while.

I think it is something that happens in smaller communities by default. Like here it is how long will they stay before moving closer to Indy/South Bend/Ft. Wayne. Then once they buy a home here and get involved it isnt as much of an issue. I think that just overall invest ment in the community and events foes along way. I am not saying I wouldn't be treated as an outsider. I am sure I would be. That is why I want to be invloved in the community as much as possible and prefer a smaller town.

This is going to be a year to year and a half process. We have a list of towns we will visit and look at it from more of a residents point of view rather than a traveler. We will take a couple weeks in the Summer and maybe..maybe spring break if it works.

I will continue to ask for advice and questions as we go through this process. The biggest issue for me will be opprotunites for my kids and of course the poutdoor recreation.

Any other advice is certainly welcomed!

Old 12-07-2020, 06:02 AM

17 posts, read 16,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EH466 View Post

Man.. That is rough. Worse than what we went through in 08-09. This certainly does help. 23% of staff is alot. I hope there is a rebound for it in the next 2 years. That is a tough pill to swallow for schools.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:28 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
Quote:

This is going to be a year to year and a half process. We have a list of towns we will visit and look at it from more of a residents point of view rather than a traveler. We will take a couple weeks in the Summer and maybe..maybe spring break if it works.
!
Don't just come in the summer. Yes it's gorgeous here and easier to get around, but as you narrow it down to a town take the time to visit it in the winter, You really can't get an accurate picture of living in a place if you only see it in the very best time of year. People move here all the time because they visited in the summer and thought it was great, and then they live here a winter or two and pack up and leave because the winters are so harsh. Don't make that same mistake. Take the extra time to see what it's like here at the darkest, coldest, windiest, and snowiest time of the year.

Many establishments close over the winter, so your options for dining out narrow, food trucks, restaurant s etc.. A lot of fun summer activities such as hiking, boating, 4 wheeling are not possible. See what there is open and available to keep you busy in the winters here. You need to find some winter hubby's to keep you going through the long winters we have. If you're bored you may go a little stir crazy. See what is open and what is not and take that into consideration as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming