Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 04:40 PM

17 posts, read 16,875 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Always been a reader but never a poster on these forums. Have used it many times as we have traveled all over the US and I used to travel for a job I had and used the information on here to help me out alot. So thank you! Anyhow couple of questions on relocation but First my background and credentials. Any feedback would be great! I know some of this has been answered before but I was hoping to find some educators to help me out specifically.

About us:
I have taught for 10 years (Spent 3 in the private sector, My wife for 13 years. I have been a varasity football assistant coach for 11 of those years and a track coach for 13. Athletics and extra curriculars are important to me as they helped me get to where I am today and I have seen the positive impact of them across the board from band to football.

Our community is very supportive of their school system. I live in a town in rural Indiana of 1,000 people. 15 minutes from the biggest down in the county at 10,000 people. and 40 minutes from the largest city Ft. Wayne 250k people. Indy is 2.5 Hours away. We dont travel to the cities often at all. Just The local town of 10k for Walmart and Kroger ect. Plus that is where our high school is. Big football town too.

We would like to buy land and build All in 450k budget maybe 500k. I had 10 Acres. Like to have animals like we have had. Sheep, horses ect for 4H. I know this is dependent on the type of land I can purchase for live stock.

Our First area of Interest would be along the Big Horns Buffalo through Sheridan and the communities in between. Mainly because of the recreation in the mountains. I have hunted the area and we have visited alot.I have been through winters in Utah (My company I worked for was based out of there). Winters here in Northern Indiana while different than Wyo can be long and GRAY. Winters have been mild lately but have been through plenty so cold does not bother us. heck I drove through Ice and sleet on my way in today)

Wyoming is a beautiful state and I can honest say I have visited every portion of the state. I do know one thing. I do think the wind down in I-80 land would kick my butt. That stuff is the REAL DEAL.

I am not opposed to rural teaching either. Kaycee or similar size. I would prefer to be a little closer to a town the size of Buffalo as we do have younger kids and having a doc close is always a good thing.

[b]What is important to us in a community:
We are very active in our community and community support is huge especially for extra curriculars.
Athletics/4H/FFA/Arts/basically anything to keep our kids involved in the community and belong.
YMCA
Youth Groups
Outdoor Rec.
BAsically we want to be involved and accepted in our community whilce being able to build relationships with people and for our children to make freinds and grow.

[b]Questions

1. I know Wyoming is experiencing budget cuts right now. How bad is it effecting K12? Layoffs?
2. I noticed some of the small schools do a 4 day schedule? Is that for PD reasons or just travel reasons?
3. I have a daughter really into swimming. I know Buffalo has a swim team. Any others as well?
4. How open are the communties to out of staters? I ask this because I have heard people in my community can kind of leave others out at times. Have heard that from some and not others. I just think it is what you make of a small town.
5. My district has been a 1:1 tech school for a decade. Any schools 1:1?
6. What do you think of my housing budget doable?

I am very familiar with the outdoor recreation which is why we visit and why we would relocate. Any other advice please let me know!

From this Hoosier thank you ahead of time and I look forward to chatting!

Teaching Licesencsue in the following:

Elementary Education K-6
Special Education K-12
CTE: Business Vocational Tech 5-12
Social Studies (History) 5-12

Wife's Licenses:
Elementary Education K-6
Special Education K-6

Thanks Again Guys and we love Wyoming definately our favorite place to visit. Great people and beautiful scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 07:41 AM

400 posts, read 452,465 times
Quote:
4. How open are the communties to out of staters? I ask this because I have heard people in my community can kind of leave others out at times. Have heard that from some and not others. I just think it is what you make of a small town.
In my experience, this is directly related to your willingness to adapt to a new environment. Where you’re from isn’t nearly as important as who you are and what you’re contributing to the community.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:31 AM

149 posts, read 258,814 times
With your criteria for athletics, activities, youth groups, etc, for northeast Wyoming Sheridan and Gillette would have the most offerings. Land prices for building a home in the Sheridan area will likely break the bank however.

Cuts to K-12 education remain to be determined. The legislative session kicks off in January, and that’s when the rubber will meet the road. The state constitution, and past court cases have mandated equitable funding for education throughout the state, and that all other funding priorities must yield to education first.

With your endorsements, finding a job for both of you should be relatively easy. However, I would advise caution and research when selecting a school district. Each school district, composed of school board and administration, can be radically different in the retention of staff from town to town. One northeast school district in particular, has no issue with letting staff go quite easily during the first three years of non-continuing contract employment. Your performance is quite irrelevant here in this district. Rather, your luck and perception amongst higher ups will largely determine your continued status.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
In my experience, this is directly related to your willingness to adapt to a new environment. Where you’re from isn’t nearly as important as who you are and what you’re contributing to the community.
I completely agree with this one! I have told many that same thing that have moved here. Just the willingess to get out and help and introduce yourself goes along way.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT25 View Post
With your criteria for athletics, activities, youth groups, etc, for northeast Wyoming Sheridan and Gillette would have the most offerings. Land prices for building a home in the Sheridan area will likely break the bank however.

Cuts to K-12 education remain to be determined. The legislative session kicks off in January, and that’s when the rubber will meet the road. The state constitution, and past court cases have mandated equitable funding for education throughout the state, and that all other funding priorities must yield to education first.

With your endorsements, finding a job for both of you should be relatively easy. However, I would advise caution and research when selecting a school district. Each school district, composed of school board and administration, can be radically different in the retention of staff from town to town. One northeast school district in particular, has no issue with letting staff go quite easily during the first three years of non-continuing contract employment. Your performance is quite irrelevant here in this district. Rather, your luck and perception amongst higher ups will largely determine your continued status.
Thanks for the insite on this one. Things up by sheridan are so darn expensive. I actually do carpentry in the summers so I would want to build some on my own to keep costs down but that only goes so far. Espeically when you are looking at high prices to get a well in for drinking water.

Thanks for the heads up on researching the districts. there are certain districts here in northern Indiana that have that rep too. I will be sure to search carefully. Getting in a rural district wouldn't bother me a bit as it seems they have less of that issue. I could be wrong though.

I hope the cuts aren't too bad for you guys. We went through it in the Recession in 08 and on. Now we have a pretty bad teacher shortage here.

Thanks Again!

Old 12-01-2020, 12:16 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
While your interests and creds appear to be the stuff that a Wyoming residency would be just the ticket ... IMO, you're posing a difficult set of priorities; ie:

1) land and housing cost during the current boom cycle influx of escapees from high tax locales are likely higher than your budget at this time.

2) livestock acreage is a whole different game here than you may be perceiving. Small parcels (and 10 acres is a small parcel in this area), especially in HOA controlled subdivisions, rarely allow livestock although some may allow a few horses. Effectively, you'll need to find rural acreage of some size; the rub here is that per acre, the land will be less expensive ... but the acreage multiplier adds up to a much higher total land cost.

3) be aware that on these smaller acreages, you'll need to be feeding brought in hay for your livestock. You'll not be supporting equine and livestock on a small acreage for anything more than a small supplement to their nutrition needs for a very limited amount of time each year. Be forewarned that overgrazing your land will quickly reduce it to a dust bowl populated with noxious weeds ... the plains grasses are very easily stressed to extinction by overgrazing. Don't be surprised if small square hay bales runs $200/ton (and up!) ... before transportation costs. Drought conditions in the region have put a lot of pressure on hay producers in the last few years. With your desired level of livestock ownership, just how many tons/month of hay do you anticipate needing? As well, don't forget those affiliated costs ... farrier and vet (even routine well care is an ongoing expense, and that's before any emergencies that may arise)

4) If gainful employment is needed to enable your lifestyle here, then the choice of a land/residence search becomes a secondary issue. At that, you're apparently not seeking just one job, but two teaching jobs within a reasonable distance from a prospective residence.

5) I suggest that the first order of your search is to see if there's a real possibility of jobs in the areas of interest to you, then with job offers in hand, seek out housing opportunities with an eye towards affordability given your projected income.

Good luck with your relocation.

PS: you wrote: "Thanks for the heads up on researching the districts. there are certain districts here in northern Indiana that have that rep too. I will be sure to search carefully. Getting in a rural district wouldn't bother me a bit as it seems they have less of that issue. I could be wrong though." Indeed, in my experience ... the rural areas here are the "hotbeds" of such activity.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:29 PM

Thanks Sunspirit for the reply on that one and being straight forward and honest on the rural school aspect. that helps.

I am always real financially. Why wyoming is appealing to educators is they have very solid pay and yes both my wife and I would be working which factors in child care for part of the year. Plus from a pension standpoint is better for us to both work.

Also really helpful on the Horses/Sheep/Livestock. I have chased antelope out there and I often wonder what the cows eat out there! It's something we dont even think about here with our animals. Hay has also went up here too which has been frustrating.

Thanks for the advice as I keep looking!

Old 12-02-2020, 10:45 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Star Valley , land is pricy but lot less then the county to the north. It still somewhat a Ag Community. the gym at the Highschool is covered with State championship banners from sports to dance and speech . Winters can be long and deep snow, but sledding ( most with motors) , cutter racing, skiing -(down hill and x-county), ice fishing , some kids even run muskrat trap lines, all can make winter more enjoyable. Surrounded by 3 national forests. 4-H and FFA both have great programs there.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:33 PM

Thanks Jody! That helps alot I have heard alot of good things about Star Valley. Somewhat familar with it in my travels too. The area is beautiful for sure and the outdoor rec opprotunites are fantastic. I am continuing my research for the area for sure!

Old 12-02-2020, 05:21 PM

138 posts, read 172,130 times
I made the move from teaching at a private school in near Chicago to teaching at a public school in Wyoming a bit over five years ago. It's been a great move. The winter is real with cold, snow and wind, but the sunshine goes a long way to making it bearable. The community here in Casper has been great, and the teachers in state are collegial. It's been great both professionally and personally.

The PTSB (education licensing here) is easy to work with. Your qualifications sound like they'd be easy to find work with. Especially the special education part. The hitch, which is unknown as of now, is how serious the education cuts in the next budget will be. I suspect the special education credentials could go a long way to leveling the playing field for both of you. Salaries are decent, but I don't know how that translates into an ability to buy land. It's definitely enough to get a nice house in Casper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming