Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:13 PM

35 posts, read 162,154 times

Advertisements

Im moving to Casper, Wyoming around March and I was wondering what there is to do there for someone around the age of 19... and what weather was like. Im from North Carolina where the weather is mostly in the 50's to 70's in the winter and summer is in the 80's to 100's. Snow is a once in 5 year thing and when it does snow we get maybe and inch or two. So really I guess my question is : What am I to expect when I move there? My boyfriend will be at work for a week at a time so I will need something to keep me busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 03:36 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,769 times
Default Casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda1988 View Post
Im moving to Casper, Wyoming around March and I was wondering what there is to do there for someone around the age of 19... and what weather was like. Im from North Carolina where the weather is mostly in the 50's to 70's in the winter and summer is in the 80's to 100's. Snow is a once in 5 year thing and when it does snow we get maybe and inch or two. So really I guess my question is : What am I to expect when I move there? My boyfriend will be at work for a week at a time so I will need something to keep me busy.
Casper has Casper College so you could think about classes - that would be a good way to meet people your age. Also a job would help.

A week can be a long time if you're by yourself and don't know anyone. There are a couple of gyms in Casper I think that might also be an option. Volunteering has always helped me to meet people when we've moved.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:40 PM
MHT

Default Casper weather

Sorry - didn't answer your question about Casper winter weather. Cold and windy. It does get cold here in the winter but may be very cold one day and like spring the next. Just be very cautious with your driving and make sure that you have good tires on your vehicle. If the roads are too bad - stay home. Nothing is worth risking your life for! The wind does blow here also but especially in the winter. Snow comes and goes all winter also.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:35 PM

Well thank you for the advice.I have been looking at many web sites about Wyoming and it does seem like a nice place, but just very small. Im use to being able to go into town and finding places to eat everywhere, and there is always something to do. I figured that Wyoming is going to be very different from where I live now. But thanks again for the advice!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:49 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,775 times
Best place to eat in Wyoming! Go out in the hills - the ones where you are miles from anywhere (take friends and security). Dress warm. Build you a nice fire. Start cooking. Eat the food just as the biggest sky you've ever seen is turning dark. Digest the food sitting by the fire, wishing upon the stars. NC is wonderful - my favorite state maybe - but you can only find this restaurant out here in the west - and we love folks from NC - they're so honest and polite. Peace.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:40 PM
MHT

Default No place to eat?

Quote:
Well thank you for the advice.I have been looking at many web sites about Wyoming and it does seem like a nice place, but just very small. Im use to being able to go into town and finding places to eat everywhere, and there is always something to do. I figured that Wyoming is going to be very different from where I live now. But thanks again for the advice!
I don't know where you got the idea that there isn't anywhere to eat here. If you're going to be in Casper there are places to eat everywhere. Even here in my little town there are lots of places to eat. Wyoming is a small state - even smaller if you live here a while. It isn't too long until you can run into someone you know when you're clear across the state from home. There is also a lot to do here - you just have to make the effort to get out there and do it. We really do live in the 20th century here - movies and everything!

Old 12-30-2006, 11:20 AM

Haha..well I didnt think Wyoming was behind times, I just kept picturing Wy as a "Mayberry" kind of town. A town where you can leave your doors unlocked at night or be a female and walk alone. Here in Raleigh you cant do that. People break into your car even if its locked.
I have lived in a town where everyone knew each other and it always stared trouble.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
...I just kept picturing Wy as a "Mayberry" kind of town. ...
Mayberry in a "Roswell, NM moonscape", with lots of mobile homes and a puffin breeze...(~ 25mph) so as not to be disappointed.... but the ideas of Community College and volunteering are terrific. Check out local shelters-food service for seniors / goodwill / salvation army, while the norm will not be age 19..., they will be a lot of fun, and helpful with relationships / caring / settling in.

yeah, plenty of places to eat! and everyone likes to get inside for a good meal this time of the year... Plan the 'picnic thing' for a little later in the season. August meteor showers are superb, but winter nights of glistening snow on the Prairie are pretty spectacular (If your not camping, or 'broke-down') I did a fair amount of 'hitch-hiking' around Casper when my truck broke down. (truck driving job). I remember a conversation with a telephone operator at 3AM on a Feb morning... "is it cold out there?"...

You can always go up to Kaycee if you need some excitement.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:28 PM
MHT

Default Mayberry

Quote:
Haha..well I didnt think Wyoming was behind times, I just kept picturing Wy as a "Mayberry" kind of town. A town where you can leave your doors unlocked at night or be a female and walk alone. Here in Raleigh you cant do that. People break into your car even if its locked.
I have lived in a town where everyone knew each other and it always stared trouble.
There are "Mayberry" towns here - I live in one. There's a sign hanging in the grocery store that says, "I love small towns, if I don't know what I'm doing someone else does." Our house is never locked. Maybe if we go on vacation for a week or so but I'm not sure how many people have keys to our place. In the winter people leave their cars running while they run into the store, summer also. Small towns are not for everyone but it fits me.

Casper is a small town by your standards but not a "Mayberry".

Wyoming has so much to offer other than "bright lights and big city". Most of our bright lights come from the stars and the big city is Denver, Billings, Rapid City.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Default Funny

JanB. You and I are probably the only two that got that. hahaha

Mayberry, it is. We have cops in every small town that think it's their job to save the world. But that's another story.

Wyoming is a wonderful place to live. Beautiful mountains, and I don't care if you life in Casper, Buffalo, Sheridan, Greybull, Cody, or whereever. You're going to see mountains. Now I'm not talking the hills of South Dakota, I'm talking mountains. 12 maybe 13 thousand feet. It's been years since I seen no snow on the mountains west of town. If you want to have a good picnic. Throw a dart and where it falls, spread out a blanket. You'll enjoy it. I gaurantee it. I live in Sheridan and never, ever, regret one moment. When I want time alone and just want to think. I drive 20 miles out of town and just find me a log to sit on. I'll be alone, I'll be in the quiet. Just me and nature. Last year nature growled at me and I had to get back in my truck. hahahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming