Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 05:37 AM

6 posts, read 5,504 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies. I laughed at the ones that are clearly from liberals. The others were very helpful. If anybody has more to add please keep it coming.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:09 AM

25 posts, read 19,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
There does seem to be a lot of fat that could be trimmed.

In the current budget environment, "trim the fat" or "tighten the belt" is usually a dead giveaway that someone hasn't actually taken the time to examine these budgets. It is certainly correct that per pupil spending in Wyoming is higher than many of our surrounding states. Why is that?

A lot of it is driven by the legislature itself, mandated by numerous supreme court decisions in the 90s/2000s. They mandate the districts provide a "basket of goods" to every student. Whether the student is in Lyman, WY or Casper, WY. The basket currently includes reading/language arts, social studies, math, science, fine arts/performing arts, physical education, health and safety, humanities, career/vocational education, foreign cultures and languages, applied technology and civics. In many other states the quality or breadth of your education is really dependent on the local property tax base and school board. More recently driven by state standardized testing as well.

We pay our teachers well here. Yet, we still have districts who rely on long term subs or simply don't get applicants for their positions. We try to keep class sizes small and manageable for both the teachers and students. We offer a wide range of activities and bus our kids long distances to accommodate these. We spend a lot on special ed - largely driven by federal mandates.

80-85% of a districts budget is personnel. Its quite impossible to cut hundreds of millions of dollars from the state education program without laying people off. With the job losses to continue in the energy industry do we really want to see another 1000 for sale signs when we lay off education workers who will likely never return to Wyoming?

Maybe we should have a conversation about actually starting to personally shoulder more of the financial burden of educating our kids without relying on Sublette, Converse, and Campbell County minerals to pay for it.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:00 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,421,163 times
Too many administrators.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:43 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I'd be interested to know precisely what you heard that bashed conservatives.
Plenty of liberal bashing goes on in other places. Really both sides are disgusting and childish a lot of the time.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:50 PM

138 posts, read 172,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Please be VERY mindful of 'how' you are teaching the little-one's 'how' to think ?

Because what 'goes' around...often-times COMES around.

https://youtu.be/g-alzyvTtVE
Yes, I realize on a second reading that "how to think" is probably not what I should have written. I should have said "tools for critical thinking". You're 100% right, and the cllip is spot on. I still like Regan's line of "trust but verify". What I cannot be trusted with it fully clear thought after work.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:37 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times
The clip works especially-well IF one is familiar with Joss Wedon's (all TOO short) 'Firefly' sci-fi series (up to and including the movie 'Serenity', where the clip came from) and specifically the young-lady 'River', who was the central-character the entire show was (more or less) built-around.

Anyone looking for a great weekend 'binge-worthy' series to watch, I highly recommend the DVD box-set...

...after the first two or three episodes...you either like it, or you don't...

...most DO seem to like it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 02-09-2021, 07:36 PM

123 posts, read 215,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
OP seems pretty close minded thinking teachers are going to indoctrinate their kids and anyone who has lived in Wyoming knows in general your chances of being indoctrinated by liberals anywhere are pretty slim.
I’m a teacher...25 years...social studies...middle school, high school and now elementary. You’re clueless if you don’t think indoctrination in schools and universities isn’t happening exponentially.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:04 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
The clip works especially-well IF one is familiar with Joss Wedon's (all TOO short) 'Firefly' sci-fi series (up to and including the movie 'Serenity', where the clip came from) and specifically the young-lady 'River', who was the central-character the entire show was (more or less) built-around.

Anyone looking for a great weekend 'binge-worthy' series to watch, I highly recommend the DVD box-set...

...after the first two or three episodes...you either like it, or you don't...

...most DO seem to like it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Totally agree. This is one of the best sci-fi series out there, wish they had been able to put out more seasons, but glad they at least got the movie.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:05 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobucks! View Post
I’m a teacher...25 years...social studies...middle school, high school and now elementary. You’re clueless if you don’t think indoctrination in schools and universities isn’t happening exponentially.
So a private school with an agenda is a better choice?

Old 02-12-2021, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 5,504 times
You’re missing the point. If a parent decides to send their kid to a private school that teaches whatever, thats the parents right. Public schools should not be places where kids are taught leftist ideology as if they are insane or even bad if they disagree. It was that way when I was a kid and it’s much worse now. Teach math, science, and English and leave the political BS out of it. Too much to ask of all the SJWs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming