Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 10:49 AM

400 posts, read 453,917 times

Advertisements

https://youtu.be/D-ac8pVN1AM

Old 08-03-2022, 04:01 PM

507 posts, read 662,228 times
Ah yes, Gosh doesn't disappoint. It sure looks like Butternut is a savvy brush-poppin' puncher. I'm sure Okay Boomer seen him already, got his autograph, and done a couple selfies with him. That furry waddie can sure nuff chase down your bunch quitters and bring 'em in.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
Ah yes, Gosh doesn't disappoint. ..
I'll have to guess... Oh to have HS internet at home (waiting for library to open after covid (currently 10 - 4, daylight hours, not within my availability)

WY has internet?, or do you have to drive to town?

Old 08-03-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I'll have to guess... Oh to have HS internet at home (waiting for library to open after covid (currently 10 - 4, daylight hours, not within my availability)

WY has internet?, or do you have to drive to town?
We only recently changed over from smoke signals because the wind kept causing the message to be read incorrectly by the time it was received.

Internet is at home but wouldn't call it high speed exactly. It's Century Link. I'm only on here this week because I'm not on the road, and bored stiff. I normally travel almost continuously. Internet in Wyoming, like cell phones, can be spotty at times.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:40 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
We only recently changed over from smoke signals because the wind kept causing the message to be read incorrectly by the time it was received.

Internet is at home but wouldn't call it high speed exactly. It's Century Link. I'm only on here this week because I'm not on the road, and bored stiff. I normally travel almost continuously. Internet in Wyoming, like cell phones, can be spotty at times.

How about cable TV? Is the Cowboy Channel available everywhere in Wyoming? Since it is a Cowboy state and all, I expect so, but...

Old 08-03-2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
How about cable TV? Is the Cowboy Channel available everywhere in Wyoming? Since it is a Cowboy state and all, I expect so, but...
Basically have to have cable, dish or direct in WY. On the ranch growing up, we didn't have any of them. I grew up with minimal exposure to TV. There were a million other things to do, mostly outdoors. I guess it has stayed with me because I don't watch TV. Usually staying in hotels 4/5 nights a week and never even tempted to turn it on. So I had never heard of the Cowboy Channel until recently on here. Wouldn't be any more likely to watch it than anything else on the idiot box.

It was an amazing place to grow up. At night, absolute silence. Except that if you listened, you could hear the tchik, tchik, tchik of the wheel lines and pivots over on the hay fields. On a clear night, it was as if you could reach up and touch the stars. Full moon nights you felt as if it were daylight. Could see mule deer and elk browsing. Maybe a couple raccoons waddling around. I remember being woke up one night by the sound of deer hooves crunching in the snow outside the window.

Conversely, you could play music as loud as you wanted. We were the last place up the road, with two neighboring ranches adjacent to us coming up the road. After our gate, the paved road turns into a forest service road. Lights of town in the valley down below. See headlights of cars on the highway six or seven miles down there. Close friends with the other two ranches, would use binoculars to see if they were haying or around their headquarters. If I wanted to see exactly who was driving the tractors, we had a telescope in the dining room for that. (Pre-cell phone). Knew the sound of most vehicles that came up the road.

As a kid, I was outside all the time. Could take a .22 and brick of shells out and be entertained while exploring until lunch time. Ride horses around the place and up to the lake. Who needs TV, you see....

(sorry that's kind of a serious answer instead of humorous)

Old 08-03-2022, 11:16 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:

It was an amazing place to grow up. At night, absolute silence. Except that if you listened, you could hear the tchik, tchik, tchik of the wheel lines and pivots over on the hay fields. On a clear night, it was as if you could reach up and touch the stars. Full moon nights you felt as if it were daylight. Could see mule deer and elk browsing. Maybe a couple raccoons waddling around. I remember being woke up one night by the sound of deer hooves crunching in the snow outside the window.

You really have a way with words. I felt like I was right beside you, standing on the hay fields of your childhood. Thanks for that!

Old 08-04-2022, 06:10 AM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
I have about 5 cowboy hats….in assorted colors. Cowboy boots too.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Basically have to have cable, dish or direct in WY. On the ranch growing up, we didn't have any of them. I grew up with minimal exposure to TV. There were a million other things to do, mostly outdoors. ... So I had never heard of the Cowboy Channel until recently on here. Wouldn't be any more likely to watch it than anything else on the idiot box.

... Knew the sound of most vehicles that came up the road.

As a kid, I was outside all the time. Could take a .22 and brick of shells out and be entertained while exploring until lunch time. Ride horses around the place and up to the lake. Who needs TV, you see....

(No more reps allowed)

Awe, life on the farm / ranch. Glistening snow on a moonlit night praire is my most pleasant driving experiences while trucking in WY. As a kid, laying in bed listening to the beasts and occasional car in the far distance. Knew the sound of each neighbor car and their particular driveway. Met a previous farm kid from near Pine Bluffs (on oregon coast a few yrs ago), who remembered listing for the sound of my truck on Saturday nights. Climbing the hils, then off into the darkness. Parents allowed the kids to stay up late on Saturdays, until I passed by. (Which was very late some nights! Snow and delays).

Distant lightning storms, are another eastern WY pleasant night's entertainment

As a kid, I was outside all the time. Me too... mom said that I came home from school, grabbed my rifle, and the dog, and horse were always gone until dark (unless snowing or rain... very seldom that!).

TV? what's that? Lawerence Welk at 7pm on Saturday night, Bonanza Sunday nights... Ed Sullivan was too risque. Cowboy Channel? Never heard of that, never will watch it (no TV, no signal, no need (or desire) for TV)

The 4 party line phone service would have been rough using dial-up. But it was interesting as a kid.

Cowboy hats and women. Yep, the gals had bright colored cowboy hats for 4H fair week / drill team. My mom wore black hat, as she did while riding in her HS 'Square Dance via horses', I have some pics, I'll have to scan them. (I see the drill teams today wear helmets) Probably a good idea. (likely required by the owners of fairgrounds / arenas')

this early pic the riders are wearing cowboy hats.
https://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/ref/colle...otos/id/125928

Helmets, (must be pretty 'modern', as I saw the pickups in one pic had chrome bumpers )
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...ce=47&__tn__=R

My 1951 has chrome grill and bumpers, but mom was riding 10+ yrs before that, and she used a farm truck, not a pickup, to haul her horse around.

The annual draft horse and mule show was the biggest thing around. It brought 20,000 people to our town of 382.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:12 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
We love the Cowboy Channel! Why? Saves us a lot of money from going to different rodeos. We still attend some rodeos. Last year, we rented a car and drove for about 7 hours to Dodge City, Kansas for their rodeo and because we are major fans of the tv show Gunsmoke. Had a great time.

99% of rodeos we see, either in-person or on the Cowboy Channel, the Drill Team ladies are wearing black felt hats. However, now and then we will see a barrel racer wearing a helmet.

During my high school years, I grew up on a small Duroc hog farm in northeastern Indiana. I had very, very strict step-parents/Guardians. All lights out at 10PM and in bed. My step-dad woke me at 5:30AM to feed/water hogs. The winter months of AM feeding/watering before school, was He** to me. To a point, back then, I 100% knew that I didn't want to make farming a career. Driving a John Deere tractor was fun, but baling hat in 95 degree weather sure wasn't. After the U.S. Navy got me (enlisted in June 1968), I never returned to living on that farm. Then again, Indiana isn't Montana either.

My main career in civilian employment was warehouse, electronics, purchasing and inventory control. But, after working for PRCA Stock Contractors at local rodeos and a Livestock Auction in Oklahoma for a short while, I loved being around livestock. Being that I spent numerous years working for electronics manufacturers, I grew to love computers and using them.

My roping and arena work days are long gone, but wife and I are still very serious rodeo fans. We know a whole lot and many retired/Hall of Famers and well as Top 15 cowboys/cowgirls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming