Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 12:22 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

Something I've wondered about for quite awhile.

When she wants to, my wife, who is 73, loves wearing either her black Felt (winter) or her Wrangler or Resistol straw (summer). I'm 72, spent a number of years with PRCA, as a "header" Team Roper. Either our black Felts or our straws are hanging on a hat rack by our apartment front door always. We currently live in northern Colorado (Eastern Slope). I wear mine to local Walmart and grocery store.

When I was involved with pro-rodeo, I seen many, many ladies wearing cowboy hats at rodeos I went to. Of course, that was back in the late 80's into the 90's. My "heeler" and I had a nightclub sponsor us and, back then, many ladies wore cowboy hats in there.

Wife and I have noticed, in both attending rodeos and watching rodeos on the Cowboy Channel, very few lady fans today wear cowboy hats at rodeos. And, some that do, especially the young gals, love wearing the modern-day wide-brim hats.

As for myself, I love seeing my wife in either a baseball cap or cowboy hat.

So, just what is the State of Wyoming like when it comes to "women and cowboy hats"?

Old 03-14-2021, 12:38 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Some do. Some don't. Most only wear hats when working.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:04 PM

254 posts, read 261,238 times
So, just what is the State of Wyoming like when it comes to "women and cowboy hats"?[/quote]

Haha! I have always joked about this. Been a cpl yrs but every rodeo event, basically anything having to do with any kind of stock event, all the women had a "poof" like a western version of the beehive hairstyle of many yrs ago. Can't wear a cowboy hat with a "poof" doo!

Old 03-14-2021, 03:11 PM

Weird, but when we were checking out Cheyenne, to move to, we went to Frontier Mall. I had on my black felt and folks in the Mall gave me some strange looks. Apparently, the only time Cheyenne is really "Western" is during CFD. Sort of wonder how "Western" Casper, Gillette, Douglas and Cody are? Guess Cody is like Cheyenne, "Western" only during the Cody Stampede? I spent a week in Sheridan, but that was so long ago, I don't even remember how the folks looked.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:15 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times
There is no 'dress-code' here in Wyoming.

People will do as they wish.

As for myself, my Serratelli has'nt seen the light of day for more than a decade...

...for whatever (various) reasons, I just don't 'feel it' anymore...

...and it's windy here...so there's that, too.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
There is no 'dress-code' here in Wyoming.

People will do as they wish.

As for myself, my Serratelli has'nt seen the light of day for more than a decade...

...for whatever (various) reasons, I just don't 'feel it' anymore...

...and it's windy here...so there's that, too.
Well, I wasn't talking about a "dress code", but there are certain places in the U.S. where a cowboy hat on a man or woman would be considered "why are they wearing that" or "what the heck?".

What I was talking about is women who might wear a cowboy hat to a grocery store, into Walmart, into a restaurant, etc.. Places other than to a bar/nightclub, working with horses and/or cattle, being at a rodeo or other horse-related event or going to a livestock auction.

As far as your "do as they wish" thing, there would be those that would look at that statement as......."do you really know where you live?" Example: Norco, California is a very horse-related town. An article about the town was even in Western Horseman Magazine. No sidewalks, only dirt paths in front of homes for horses to walk on. A major rodeo each year. Then, more and more people from parts of Orange and L.A. Counties started moving in. They wanted to make the horse paths into sidewalks and get rid of some local dairies due to the smell. People were showing up at a local cafe with multiple tattoos and different colored hair. The real Los Angeles look. It turned into a fight between the locals and the "big city" folks.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:22 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,290,042 times
my wife and daughter usually when riding ,or on an un cab tractor. I usually wear wide brimmed had as my ear blister , and inch if wearing a ball cap. Going to find a dermatologist for a look over this spring.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:16 PM

233 posts, read 276,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Weird, but when we were checking out Cheyenne, to move to, we went to Frontier Mall. I had on my black felt and folks in the Mall gave me some strange looks. Apparently, the only time Cheyenne is really "Western" is during CFD. Sort of wonder how "Western" Casper, Gillette, Douglas and Cody are? Guess Cody is like Cheyenne, "Western" only during the Cody Stampede? I spent a week in Sheridan, but that was so long ago, I don't even remember how the folks looked.
The former wife wore a black felt she bought at Big R. I wore a boonie hat most of the time. Most dudes wore Resistol.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:21 AM

I remember, back when we lived in So California (not born/raised there however), and I was in the Sierra-turned-California Circuit, it was amazing how many ladies wore felt or straw cowboy hats at both rodeos (fans) and nightclubs. Don't know how it is today, but back in the late 80's, up until we left in 2002, it was extremely popular.

Just one of the things I was really, really drawn to my wife to, when we met. Her wearing a baseball cap or cowboy hat.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:41 AM

507 posts, read 662,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Haven't we been down this road a couple times already?........Western is a geographic region, an approach to life (ie. Code of the West, etc) and a heritage. As Lt. said, it's not a dress code. Cheyenne is an intrinsically, historically, and socially western place. If there is a time of year when it is least "western" it would be during CFD when it is more like Disneyland; tourists, displaced Greenies, and dimestore cowboys. Rodeo excepted.

You and the missus went to the Mall dudded up like Roy and Dale, and because nobody else was looking the same, you conclude that Cheyenne isn't really western? If you were looking for a real "western" cowgirl in a hat, or anybody else real "western" for that matter....the Mall, Walmart, or a saloon aren't the best places to be looking.

Awhile back, Ian Munsick was doing one of those silly interviews musicians have to sit for, and was asked what he particularly likes and doesn't like. And for what he doesn't like, he said; "Cowboy hats without a cowboy in them." In other words, don't mistake the signpost for the actual place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming