Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:26 AM

430 posts, read 1,622,442 times

Advertisements

Wow - they should check out the air scrubbing techniques used at Laramie River Power Station in Wheatland - it was cutting edge when put in place in 1979-1981. There are 2 wet scrubbers for units 1 & 2 & #3 is a dry scrubber - but there is SELDOM any brown cloud. Is all steam. OCCASIONALLY the dry scrubber malfunctioned - was totally new technology & would get a thin brown line in the sky, but I'm sure in the last 30 years they have it worked out because they were paying HUGE fines for the pollution it did emit, when it actually did. That was the dept. my ex husband started in when he got hired there in 1979 (is in water treatment now - has been since about 1981 or '82) CUSH job in water treatment...will retire next year after 30 years. I CANNOT believe it has been that long since we moved there (7 years later was divorced) but I got him that dang job cause he didn't think they would hire him & I KNEW they would w/his background. I picked up & filled out the app, sent it in & he was the first that was not in mgmt to be hired NOT in a laborer position, about a year before the first unit went online. Was incredible. Then we moved from Littleton, CO to Wheatland - about 180 miles - over T'giving wknd in 1979 it took 5 days because of SUCH A HUGE blizzard. Worst in recorded history at that time. 2 days just to get to Boulder turnpike in north Denver, next night (Thanksgiving) at the Ramada Inn in Ft. Collins (a whole 45 miles or so), the next day & night at Little America in Chey-town - with 102" drifts..., then I-80 east finally opened up & we went to Kimball, Neb, drove thru the sandhills up to Scottsbluff on a single opened lane to be shared by both directions!!!! I was TRASH drunk by 9 AM chuggin my Wild Turkey because I was SURE we would die out there with everything we owned in an 18' rental truck. (Was also 22 years old & had fought a treacherous blizzard going back to Denver from Lyman - it caught up with us in Rawlins & HONEST TO GOD we missed turning off in Laramie to take 287 (??? hwy??) south to avoid Roosevelt hill - BUT couldn't see the lights or exits!!!) So - get to Scottsbluff (on our move to Wheatland) & is DRY as a bone, Hwy 26 clear to I-25 dry, and the storm ended 5 miles north of town but Wheatland had about 5-1/2 feet or so of snow that we had to shovel out from the ally to the back of the rental we had to move into until our house would close to unload the truck. I remember so much so clearly - how COULD it have been 30 years????????????????? LOL!!!!! But really - LRPS in Wheatland has it together as far as their air scrubbing techniques...sorry to babble...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,792 times
Default Ozone is invisible...

but it's here. The Pinedale area has reached 1 hour peaks near 150 and eight hour averages of 122 PPB. It's not "blown in" from somewhere else (a completely bogus claim, as the prevailing winds are not from any metropolitan region.) Look it up.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:23 PM

430 posts, read 1,622,442 times
I'm not doubting is here - just saying th gassification plants & other pollutign enterprises should look into the air scrubbing systems used at LRPS in Wheatland. The LAST thing we need is air pollution!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming