Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 PM

19 posts, read 98,011 times

Advertisements

hello everyone. I'm thinking of moving to one of these places soon. I was just curious about what it's like to raise a family in these two cities. My wife and I just want to settle down in a town in the mountains with nice people and where there's things to do. My wife and I enjoy the outdoors and love spending our days in the woods. I myself have found a preference to winter camping and cross country skiing. We don't want to live in the city but in the mountains. could you guys give me some pros and cons of these two cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:51 PM

21 posts, read 68,123 times
I personally think you would be better off living some where in Colorado from just what your describing. But I am not from either of those places.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:20 AM

430 posts, read 1,622,766 times
Depends if you are fairly idependent or not - the job situation in Dubois could be better - Cody (where I live) has plenty of work at many levels of professionalism, but from what I have heard is very possibly not as friendly & welcoming as Dubois. I know 20 years ago when I moved here it was 3 years before we had a FRIEND. As is a tourist town, sort of had (at that time anyway) soft of a "spend your money & go home" type of attitude (and if there are other Cody folk here - I'm sorry if it offends, but was definitely our sort of welcome here - and we were from another part of Wyoming - not even out of state!). Cody has a lot to offer in many ways. I'd go to Wyoming Very Small Towns and Villages (fewer than 1000 residents) - Real Estate, Housing, Schools, Residents, Crime, Pollution, Demographics and More to get more info on towns & the demographics. Both towns are butted up againsnt mountains - Wyo mountains wander all over - not a big swath of them straight thru the state like Colo - there are mountains all across the state & high plains & ranges we call basins, then more mountains. Both towns are pretty much in a basin - Cody is at the west end of a much larger basin than Dubois - as the crow flies, not far apart but is a large strip of wilderness between "south fork Hwy" of Cody then over a couple of mountains - by horseback or hiking - then a stone's throw to Dubois. So, both are butted up to the Shoshone Forest I believe. Both are within seconds of beautiful country. Colorado? Do you like to pay taxes? Do you like to have no access to public land? That's where Colorado is heading - been getting blocked off more & more from my own fav haunts from back in the 70's every time I go there.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:01 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,925 times
dubois is much smaller with fewer jobs,stores,etc and much farther to get anyplace fairly 'big'.realestate i think is pretty close pricewise.if i could afford to live in either one i would choose dubois since i dont care about alot of the extras available in cody but people are different.i think my kids and most kids would prefer cody which has a skateboard park and a rec center/pool,a walmart and a 'big' city[billings,mt] a little over an hour +away.making a living in dubois could be a challenge,realestate isnt real cheap either place.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:27 PM

330 posts, read 1,095,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
hello everyone. I'm thinking of moving to one of these places soon. I was just curious about what it's like to raise a family in these two cities. My wife and I just want to settle down in a town in the mountains with nice people and where there's things to do. My wife and I enjoy the outdoors and love spending our days in the woods. I myself have found a preference to winter camping and cross country skiing. We don't want to live in the city but in the mountains. could you guys give me some pros and cons of these two cities?
I grew up in Dubois, VERY nice place, and excellent school system (I got to go to Japan for 6 weeks paid for by the school!) The area is very beautiful, but expensive (and not a lot for jobs either). Population was less than 1000 when I was there (80's) and that really hasn't changed much. My dad still owns a ranch/house up there, though trying to sell it as he moved to Oregon when my mother died. If you and your family don't need malls/TV/STUFF to be happy, Dubois is great (my sisters and I did a lot of ranch work and imaginative play...as well as riding 4-wheelers and horseback riding)....I love the area and would move there any day if I could find a job and afford to live there.

As for Cody, I don't know a TON about it.....it's pretty up there as well. Cost of living is probably about the same (lots of tourists, though). You'd have to get more input from someone who lives there in order to get a more accurate idea of the area.

Welcome to Wyoming!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 PM

19 posts, read 98,011 times
thanks for all your input everyone!

yea, I don't really like colorado at all, lol. I think it was better in the past but now it's just one big mountain resort smooshed into one state in my opinion. I don't like staring off across the mountains and seeing cabins on all of them. that's why wyoming is my first choice basically, it's more wild, plus wyoming is close to my home state of nebraska. Idaho seams nice too though.

do any of you know anything about either of their highschools as far as academics, sports or anything?

what I forgot to add on my first post was that having friendly people is a must. I am a very social person, though I love spending time alone in the mountains.

again, thanks for all of your help

Old 05-10-2008, 10:34 PM

430 posts, read 1,622,766 times
OK (again putting myself on the line here as far as ppl)...but Cody ppl are very cliquish but if you are a professional SOMETHING & a joiner you will do fine. If you are working class employee type, you will have to work harder to build your social circle - belonging to a church DEFINITELY would be a plus...Cody high school are pretty good - but again, cliquish but think that is the norm most places now. They have the block scheduling (about 1-1/2 hr per class a day - 4 periods a day) & only allowed off campus during lunch for the most part. They get off at lunchtime on Fridays. There is a lot for ppl to do here that aren't into outdoor sports; the rec center is not yet 10 years old & is AFFORDABLE ($160 a year per person I think) & has a LOT to offer there, we have hockey in the winter - not pro, but we have an adult team that plays teams from Colo to Calgary, & as was mentioned the skateboard park that the KIDS here raised the money to build. Unfortunately the young guy who got it started & saw it thru has now passed away - he was still a teenager. We have a great medical community - very diverse & is a Planetree hospital instead of JAHCO (FINALLY!!!!!) with really great MD's. (I know - I did the credentialing / background checks on almost all of them still here for 13 years). And step-up medical in Billings (Deaconess & St. Vincent's) which is 112 miles away - is closer to 2 hours away as is 2-lane almost the whole way & have to slow down for several very small towns. But they send down Flight For Life a lot. Cody has a lot to offer & is really growing, but no oil refineries, smelly mfg'ing, some great restaurants, A HARLEY SHOP with a new one being built as we speak..., and yes - TOURISTS TOURISTS TOURISTS. Sometimes is a real nuisance but you get used to it. Not NEAR as bad as Jackson - at least they don't expect the vehicles to stop for them as they wander up & down the streets. Lordy I HATE driving thru that town!!!. Our population is under 9000. Fewer "rubber tomahawk" shops than before - a lot of art galleries, handmade furniture, etc. etc. Yes, we have WALMART (gag!!!) but we have Sierra Trading Post too But rather than pay for shopping in Montana, I do most of my purchasing that I cannot do here in town online or by phone. If you like "instant gratification" - not for you. LOL!!!! Being from NE, probably used to that. Finding work here is not that hard if you WANT to work. Tho many ppl do work 2 jobs. I worked 2 fulltime jobs for 18 years until my kids were grown & gone (thankfully one of them was at home). But as I always say - everything in life is a trade-off. I wouldn't leave Wyo for anything - by choice. My son is a 27-yr old, single, diesel mechanic & bought a 4-bedroom house in excellent condition last year so if you keep your ear to the ground, affordable housing can be found. It's all in who you know eventually....So - all is not hopeless here as it may seem at first. I don't think our cost of living is that much more (other than property for the most part) than most other areas of Wyo - our gas is right now today (5-10-8) 3.57. Milk is 3.50 a gal. Eggs are a little under $2 a doz. There's the staples

Old 05-11-2008, 07:59 AM

330 posts, read 1,095,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
thanks for all your input everyone!

do any of you know anything about either of their highschools as far as academics, sports or anything?

what I forgot to add on my first post was that having friendly people is a must. I am a very social person, though I love spending time alone in the mountains.

again, thanks for all of your help
Academically, DHS is a great school...I had great teachers....though I'm sure most of the ones I had are now gone. And, as I mentioned before, we had an exchange program where I got to spend 6 weeks in a foreign country on the school's dime...

I believe they still have 9-man football (hey, it's a small school!)....volleyball, basketball for both, track for both, wrestling....that's all as far as sports....and we were pretty good "way back when", but I don't think they've made it to state events in years.

Band, chorus, plays, National Honor Society, the school newspaper....were all activities I participated in....I thought I had a great education for being such a small school. The teachers were phenomenal when I was there, I took trigonometry and calculus (and that was back in the 80's)....but again, I haven't been there in a while.

For the most part, people are very friendly.....though I had a hard time fitting in at school (kids are generally meaner than adults when it comes to "outsiders")....but by the time I got to high school, I was "one of them".....I haven't been back in years (since my mom died), but people still know you and are very nice...

Don't know if that's what you're looking for....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming