Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 06:09 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
You seem like a nice enough guy, but the chip on your shoulder is HUGE. Your generalizations are mind-blowing.

Just for grins, I looked up alcohol consumption rates by state. According to this, Wyoming is in the bottom third of alcohol consumption per capita: https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ption-by-state

Number 4 on the list made me smile.

These people say Wyoming is 14, but North Dakota still makes Wyoming looks like a big sissy in alcohol consumption: https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ption-by-state

I’m curious about Wyoming residents who post here. I’m not a native Wyomingite and I didn’t have a problem fitting in here at all. Anybody else a “transplant”? Got any thoughts to share about your experience in moving to Wyoming?
Alcohol consumption is certainly a problem here, no arguments from me. Maybe I have a chip on my shoulder but I'm just sharing my experiences of living in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 06:10 PM

253 posts, read 259,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
You seem like a nice enough guy, but the chip on your shoulder is HUGE. Your generalizations are mind-blowing.

Just for grins, I looked up alcohol consumption rates by state. According to this, Wyoming is in the bottom third of alcohol consumption per capita: https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ption-by-state

Number 4 on the list made me smile.

These people say Wyoming is 14, but North Dakota still makes Wyoming looks like a big sissy in alcohol consumption: https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ption-by-state

I’m curious about Wyoming residents who post here. I’m not a native Wyomingite and I didn’t have a problem fitting in here at all. Anybody else a “transplant”? Got any thoughts to share about your experience in moving to Wyoming?
Agree with you. I think we're going on 28 or 29 yrs in Wyoming. We didn't move here for the people. And there are things that I dislike. I consider Wyoming having a purple tint. I wish it were much redder! Wyoming is a great state to live in. The good Lord has been very good to us in WY. I can tell you that NO ONE in Wyoming is going to give you a damn thing! If you want something, best get to getting it yourself! So much opportunity in Wyoming.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:00 PM

400 posts, read 452,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
Agree with you. I think we're going on 28 or 29 yrs in Wyoming. We didn't move here for the people. And there are things that I dislike. I consider Wyoming having a purple tint. I wish it were much redder! Wyoming is a great state to live in. The good Lord has been very good to us in WY. I can tell you that NO ONE in Wyoming is going to give you a damn thing! If you want something, best get to getting it yourself! So much opportunity in Wyoming.
Where are you guys?

Old 06-06-2021, 11:01 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
A purple tint?! How do you figure?

Old 06-06-2021, 11:20 PM

374 posts, read 256,752 times
As an ex-long-term-Colorado resident who frequented Cheyenne, I've always found it to be a quaint small city on the open plains with people who were at least courteous, though the assertion that they are fairly self sufficient is absolutely accurate. Like in most places they'll offer aid to people who clearly need it, but they are not generous with their help and tend to keep to themselves. Wyoming is absolutely one of the most red states out there, politically, up there with Oklahoma, West Virginia, Kansas, and Mississippi. Cheyenne sits as the northern terminus of what's known locally as the Front Range, which is an urban corridor stretching from Cheyenne clear down to Pueblo, CO (an area that includes the entire Denver metro and has seen quickly rising living costs that are not necessarily limited to just the CO portion), but it's pretty well isolated from the next major population center (Fort Collins or Greeley, each close to an hour away). Winters are absolutely atrocious and are bad enough (due to near hurricane force winds and blinding/heavy snow) to often necessitate shutting down every road out of the city, up to and including I-25 and I-80. Long story short, it's about as polar opposite the Houston area as you can get and if that's your endgame then you've found it. Just be honest with yourself as to why you want to move there and consider visiting Cheyenne both during the summer and the winter, and be aware that anything beyond what you can do at home or anything beyond fairly basic shopping or possibly even more specialized activities or necessities (up to and including specialized healthcare) will likely necessitate a 2+ hour drive south to Denver.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:06 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logement View Post
I am thinking to relocate to cheyenne wy.i am certified nursing assistance, work at hospital. I live now Tomball, Texas. I need advises about pros and cons. I want to relocate just because i feel tired to live here.i want to move to another state tax friendly, low cost living safer than Texas. I just want experience from people who already did that.i don't have family like wife and kids. I am single.
You really need to go visit Wyoming.....Winters are fierce.....and there are vast spaces....We wanted to move there but didn't particularly care for the landscape although the people there were really nice to us.....housing was an issue, too. This was a few years back.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:17 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Quote:
Hate to spoil your narrative, but half the kids in Wyoming are on Food Stamps.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:49 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post

Adults, not kids

Old 06-07-2021, 04:47 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
You should visit, but there are hundreds of people who move to Cheyenne every year and survive, and many thrive. Cheyenne has an Air Force base, FE Warren with about 4,000 people. Many didn't know where Wyoming was before they got orders there. They survive and so will you. You're single, so if you don't like it there then you can move on to your next spot. Good luck. You could sure do worse than Cheyenne.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:24 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Per St Louis Fed data, their last report was at about 26,000 WY people on SNAP..... just under 5% of the reported population. (Dunno if that includes any BIA data.) I suspect these are pre-pandemic numbers.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/BRWY56M647NCEN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming