Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 12:01 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,422,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1811Girl View Post
This is really insightful info. Thank you for this. This is why I’m a follower on this forum. To learn stuff from the experts!
You're welcome. Maybe just an expert on diving in and moving to WY. I hadn't been through the state in 24 years, and moved in, in early May. It was appropriately snowing as I approached my new, 86 yo, house for the first time. It is helpful and interesting to share information with others, especially if they have a level headed plan. OTOH, about a third of those interested in moving to WY, appear to be ready to battle Mother Nature to the extreme (and ready to lose) .. frequently using the term "homesteaders," which they are not, and no clue about what they would be up against in even semi remote areas. My plate is almost full right now preparing for Winter in the third largest city, with city utilities and amenities..and it is 95 degrees outside, lol. I found a nice fixer in Sheridan yesterday, and was a minute away from sending it to a friend... ran the address through www.floodfactor.com and sure enough.. high risk for flood. That is a good example of the work you can do from out of state. I also like www.walkscore.com..gives a great map/listing of amenities close to any address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 12:36 PM

42 posts, read 37,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
You're welcome. Maybe just an expert on diving in and moving to WY. I hadn't been through the state in 24 years, and moved in, in early May. It was appropriately snowing as I approached my new, 86 yo, house for the first time. It is helpful and interesting to share information with others, especially if they have a level headed plan. OTOH, about a third of those interested in moving to WY, appear to be ready to battle Mother Nature to the extreme (and ready to lose) .. frequently using the term "homesteaders," which they are not, and no clue about what they would be up against in even semi remote areas. My plate is almost full right now preparing for Winter in the third largest city, with city utilities and amenities..and it is 95 degrees outside, lol. I found a nice fixer in Sheridan yesterday, and was a minute away from sending it to a friend... ran the address through www.floodfactor.com and sure enough.. high risk for flood. That is a good example of the work you can do from out of state. I also like www.walkscore.com..gives a great map/listing of amenities close to any address.
Ahh, this is awesome info. I’ll definitely check those sources out and the flood factor is something I need to make sure I take seriously as well. I learn so much here!

I really want to learn as much as I can and maybe I’m a commitment phobe, but I think it’s essential to really know if I want to spend the rest of my life in a certain area-especially one that is quite different from what I’m used to cause I don’t wanna move again. Moving is the worst ever and moving from one state to another is even harder. I currently live semi-rural and am used to LOTS of outside work but I’m not taking the change in weather for me lightly. At all.

So far on paper (so to speak) and the little time I’ve already spent in Wyoming, I’m digging it. Thanks for your input

Old 07-17-2021, 02:37 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
As for "best" base camp... if you aren't leaning one way or another, maybe pick a spot midway on north - south axis. Casper, Douglas, Riverton, Lander for ease of touring other parts of state. But if you have a preliminary west / east or north / south preference, take that into account.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:05 PM

254 posts, read 261,738 times
If those thinking of moving to Wyoming are more the type to live in one of the towns, weather isn't much of a concern today in most towns in Wyoming. When we moved here many years ago was a different time, less populated, the towns were less prepared and storms were more multi day events. If you are thinking of living well out of town in the county or remotely in some places, I'd advise against doing such a move unless you know exactly what your getting into. Another thing most don't think about as far as buying. Most likely you won't find a place to rent. If it were me, I'd buy a place that I could live with, then if it didn't work out, fire sell the house. It's gonna cost you more in rent than buying and fire selling the house for alot less later.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:25 AM

60 posts, read 56,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
As for "best" base camp... if you aren't leaning one way or another, maybe pick a spot midway on north - south axis. Casper, Douglas, Riverton, Lander for ease of touring other parts of state. But if you have a preliminary west / east or north / south preference, take that into account.
That's what I was thinking...especially if you want to rent first...riverton or Casper are probably your best bets for finding rentals

Last edited by camping_chic; 07-18-2021 at 04:53 AM..

Old 07-18-2021, 02:19 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,422,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping_chic View Post
That's what I was thinking...especially if you want to rent first...riverton or Casper are probably your best bets for finding rentals
Yeah.. I have seen some pretty nice condos in Casper under 800 pm.. seems to be a pretty steady supply of rentals there. I saw 660 in Gillette for something pretty decent in a very convenient location. You could easily pay 1500 for either one in Denver or even Phoenix. Might be somewhat pricier in Cheyenne.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:51 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Yep, I was thinking of Riverton or Lander, which are the 2 most centrally located small cities. We have stayed there, in the Riverton Hampton Inn and the Lander Holiday Inn. Just decent, clean motels. Same in Laramie and Sheridan, and in MT and ID when searching: just find decent motels and move along every day or 2.

We stayed in a cozy 2 BR rental house in Dubois (where we bought recently) but it was not cheap. There are more such homes/cabins around on VRBO and AirBnB. I looked at longer stay motels in Riverton (since there is gas & oil work in that area) but they were all cheaper motels.

The suggestion of a rental motorhome is a possibility. Just be aware that in the summer tourist season, it will be difficult to find a campground spot open anywhere in NW WY, in the vicinity of Yellowstone NP. So fall is the best time with that, but again, you won't get the full weather exerpeince LOL. That is why the motel scheme works out... you can do it most all of the year.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:19 PM

560 posts, read 437,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Yep, I was thinking of Riverton or Lander, which are the 2 most centrally located small cities. We have stayed there, in the Riverton Hampton Inn and the Lander Holiday Inn. Just decent, clean motels. Same in Laramie and Sheridan, and in MT and ID when searching: just find decent motels and move along every day or 2.

We stayed in a cozy 2 BR rental house in Dubois (where we bought recently) but it was not cheap. There are more such homes/cabins around on VRBO and AirBnB. I looked at longer stay motels in Riverton (since there is gas & oil work in that area) but they were all cheaper motels.

The suggestion of a rental motorhome is a possibility. Just be aware that in the summer tourist season, it will be difficult to find a campground spot open anywhere in NW WY, in the vicinity of Yellowstone NP. So fall is the best time with that, but again, you won't get the full weather exerpeince LOL. That is why the motel scheme works out... you can do it most all of the year.
Speaking of that rental, mind if I ask how much the rent was? I think you know why. Haha.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:00 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
$300 per day. Which is not all that expensive within 1-2 hours of YNP.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:56 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,108,526 times
Another thing many people dont think about when searching for rural homes in the summer months is how are you clearing your driveway or access road in the winter? I know snowfall hasn't been as deep the past several years. But still, think about that 10th of a mile dirt/gravel access road to your new house. Clearing a foot of snow with a big drift in the middle can be a chore even with a plow or blower on your truck or tractor. Then it becomes a pain in the xxx when it's the 15th time in a season. It certainly shouldn't stop you from moving into the northern mountains, but something to think about as you look at various homesites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming