Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 08:48 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,301,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Another thing many people dont think about when searching for rural homes in the summer months is how are you clearing your driveway or access road in the winter? I know snowfall hasn't been as deep the past several years. But still, think about that 10th of a mile dirt/gravel access road to your new house. Clearing a foot of snow with a big drift in the middle can be a chore even with a plow or blower on your truck or tractor. Then it becomes a pain in the xxx when it's the 15th time in a season. It certainly shouldn't stop you from moving into the northern mountains, but something to think about as you look at various homesites.
15 times a season gee when I milked cows in SV , sometimes it was every day(for weeks) so the milk tuck could get to the parlor every other day. So you clean everything else out while the tractor was running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 04:53 PM

42 posts, read 37,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Another thing many people dont think about when searching for rural homes in the summer months is how are you clearing your driveway or access road in the winter? I know snowfall hasn't been as deep the past several years. But still, think about that 10th of a mile dirt/gravel access road to your new house. Clearing a foot of snow with a big drift in the middle can be a chore even with a plow or blower on your truck or tractor. Then it becomes a pain in the xxx when it's the 15th time in a season. It certainly shouldn't stop you from moving into the northern mountains, but something to think about as you look at various homesites.

I have thought of this too during my research. I know it'll be a different way of life for me. Not sure yet if seriously rural land is my cup of tea, but at the same time I'm not interested in tract housing either. At the very least I know I'll have a tractor handy! Maybe it'll give me something to do if I decide not to work (I'll be retired by the time I get to WY). Thanks for your input!

Old 07-23-2021, 07:56 PM

561 posts, read 440,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
$300 per day. Which is not all that expensive within 1-2 hours of YNP.
True.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
True.
$$$ and limited (full) lodging in WY is a good reason to travel via campervan, or pickup camper. Ideally a Roadtrek or similar. Should be plenty of used ones FS in 2 yrs.

Regarding driveway / snow removal.
1) locate your garage correctly so it does not drift the door area 8ft deep. (While windward side of house is barren)
2) figure out how to park the tractor in a heated garage / shop. (The car can live outdoors if necessary)
3) a cab or winter enclosure is a good idea for a tractor
4) a very heavy duty older pickup or Heavy Duty SUV (older suburban or wagoneer) with a plow can be a lot warmer and more comfortable if you have the space to pile snow, and a driveway too long to endure the temps and wind while frozen to the tractor.

Winter is not to be thought trivial... Watch the PBS show "Wyoming Winter of 1949", one of these 100F afternoons. Brrrrr!

Old 07-24-2021, 08:25 AM

the pick up snow plow, used to be people built close to the county road, with a pick up plow they build at the back of the forty .

Old 07-24-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$$$ and limited (full) lodging in WY is a good reason to travel via campervan, or pickup camper. Ideally a Roadtrek or similar. Should be plenty of used ones FS in 2 yrs.

Regarding driveway / snow removal.
1) locate your garage correctly so it does not drift the door area 8ft deep. (While windward side of house is barren)
2) figure out how to park the tractor in a heated garage / shop. (The car can live outdoors if necessary)
3) a cab or winter enclosure is a good idea for a tractor
4) a very heavy duty older pickup or Heavy Duty SUV (older suburban or wagoneer) with a plow can be a lot warmer and more comfortable if you have the space to pile snow, and a driveway too long to endure the temps and wind while frozen to the tractor.

Winter is not to be thought trivial... Watch the PBS show "Wyoming Winter of 1949", one of these 100F afternoons. Brrrrr!

Thank you for all this, will definitely take it all into account.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:48 PM

256 posts, read 266,316 times
1.) We've built multiple new homes in different areas, putting extreme thought into snow drifts, removal and have yet to rid ourselves of snow drifts. 4-5 years ago the county did some work on the north side of our drive and changed the topography considerably. Most years now the county spends countless hours at our drive removing the drift, conveniently placing it INTO the beginning of our drive. I just thank the good Lord I have a tractor and can move the snow!

2.) A new neighbor moved in beside us in 19'. A real piece of $hit of a human. He has two shepards that repeatedly got out of their backyard fenced area harrassing neighbors quite aggressively and bark none stop. Things were very bad with him as I am always outside and it was very quite before he moved in. One of the dogs is worse and came close to coming over the fence multiple times while I walked to get my mail. Finally had enough when the dogs attacked a neighbor gal riding her horse down the road in front of his house. We had heated words and the pos built somewhat of a wooden fence the length of my drive which I was glad to see as I was seconds away from dispatching the dogs multiple times. We now have about a 300' drift right on our drive that takes considerable time for me to move several times a winter. But I'll take dealing with the snow drift over dealing with the dogs. We couldn't live without a tractor!

Old 07-25-2021, 08:36 AM

Star Valley , the county up early clearing roads for School bus. The State not far behind Doing 89 first then the secondary. There a lot of private snow removing out fits. But they might not match one's Schedule. See those that move al thier snow with a big 4 wheeler with a plow , but they push snow way back so they have a place to push too all winter , or hire a tractor to push thier pile back after a few storms.
But that Lincoln County.

Been 5 years out on the new ranch in Crook County and seen a pickup snow plow once on the county road by our place. Usually we get a big storm One of the ranches up Oshoto way , hay semi will bust open tracks and with in the week the county might run a blade to smooth of the deep ruts in the snow .

Old 07-25-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
1.) We've built multiple new homes in different areas, putting extreme thought into snow drifts, removal and have yet to rid ourselves of snow drifts. 4-5 years ago the county did some work on the north side of our drive and changed the topography considerably. Most years now the county spends countless hours at our drive removing the drift, conveniently placing it INTO the beginning of our drive. I just thank the good Lord I have a tractor and can move the snow!

2.) A new neighbor moved in beside us in 19'. A real piece of $hit of a human. He has two shepards that repeatedly got out of their backyard fenced area harrassing neighbors quite aggressively and bark none stop. Things were very bad with him as I am always outside and it was very quite before he moved in. One of the dogs is worse and came close to coming over the fence multiple times while I walked to get my mail. Finally had enough when the dogs attacked a neighbor gal riding her horse down the road in front of his house. We had heated words and the pos built somewhat of a wooden fence the length of my drive which I was glad to see as I was seconds away from dispatching the dogs multiple times. We now have about a 300' drift right on our drive that takes considerable time for me to move several times a winter. But I'll take dealing with the snow drift over dealing with the dogs. We couldn't live without a tractor!

Sorry to hear about your neighbor! Wow! If I were to ever consider building on land out in WY, how do I know there would be water on that land? Forgive my ignorance, but that’s what keeps me away from considering purchasing land and building a custom home over possibly purchasing an existing one. Do I assume the land would have water if there are neighbors nearby—I mean surely they would have found water if they’re living there? Just curious.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:59 PM

256 posts, read 266,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1811Girl View Post
Sorry to hear about your neighbor! Wow! If I were to ever consider building on land out in WY, how do I know there would be water on that land? Forgive my ignorance, but that’s what keeps me away from considering purchasing land and building a custom home over possibly purchasing an existing one. Do I assume the land would have water if there are neighbors nearby—I mean surely they would have found water if they’re living there? Just curious.
IMO, you will find good water below 700' in most of N Wy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming