Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 01:37 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
The winds of Wyoming will blow those tractor trailers over too.
Especially on Interstate 80. I don't miss driving on that in the winter AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 02:46 PM

252 posts, read 258,781 times
Quote:
How about Gilette, or Buffalo?
My .02. I like Gillette because the people are the most conservative minded I've been around. We have family there. The town folk there are some of the hardest working people in the US in some of the worst conditions.

The retirees in Buffalo we've found to be really good people. My one complaint would be that the retirees that snowbird don't get involved enough in how Buffalo is run, but that is another topic of discussion. One thing that many don't realize about the Buffalo side of the Big Horns is that once tourist season is over, you have the whole mountain side to yourself. Majority of the cabins on the Buffalo side are Buffalo residents and they tend to stay mostly to Hazelton road area. It's so flipping awesome to have so much area to enjoy that very few venture and unbelievably quite and peaceful. If those looking to relocate are into mountain activities and prefer to be alone, I doubt you'd find another place like the Big Horns in the off season. There is a huge "BUT" to Buffalo but I'll save that for another day, topic. We almost bought in Sheridan yrs ago and seeing what Sheridan is becoming, I thank the good Lord we didn't.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:50 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,032 times
I looked seriously in the Hazelton Rd area. It is what you say. But too isolated for my wife.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:06 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
I looked seriously in the Hazelton Rd area. It is what you say. But too isolated for my wife.
If you like forest, star Valley surrounded by 3 of them, there like 29 accesses to salt river ,the fly fish can be great , Star valley ranch was built around golf.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:46 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,032 times
We looked at Star Valley.... was not quite what we wanted. Ended up with a place in Dubois.. a bit more remote and a bit more rustic but still enough of a town to get the basics. (And so convenient to big shopping....only 3 hours to Casper or Idaho Falls LOL.) But the high elevation grasslands of the Big Horns are very, very pretty.

Am looking forward to getting further up into the higher peaks of the Wind River Range.

OBTW.. I live by the 17th tee on a golf course now... I never play LOL. I'd rather be wrenching on a car or snowmobile...

Old 08-03-2021, 12:57 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
My .02. I like Gillette because the people are the most conservative minded I've been around. We have family there. The town folk there are some of the hardest working people in the US in some of the worst conditions.

The retirees in Buffalo we've found to be really good people. My one complaint would be that the retirees that snowbird don't get involved enough in how Buffalo is run, but that is another topic of discussion. One thing that many don't realize about the Buffalo side of the Big Horns is that once tourist season is over, you have the whole mountain side to yourself. Majority of the cabins on the Buffalo side are Buffalo residents and they tend to stay mostly to Hazelton road area. It's so flipping awesome to have so much area to enjoy that very few venture and unbelievably quite and peaceful. If those looking to relocate are into mountain activities and prefer to be alone, I doubt you'd find another place like the Big Horns in the off season. There is a huge "BUT" to Buffalo but I'll save that for another day, topic. We almost bought in Sheridan yrs ago and seeing what Sheridan is becoming, I thank the good Lord we didn't.
Why? What is happening in Sheridan that made you glad you didn't move there?

I think Buffalo or Gillette maybe good places to consider.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:49 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,413,717 times
Quote:
Why? What is happening in Sheridan that made you glad you didn't move there?

I think Buffalo or Gillette maybe good places to consider.
Sheridan has sort of turned the corner on being expensive, Gillette has not, which has its advantages.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:59 PM

783 posts, read 836,291 times
It’s good to know the Bighorns can be quiet. When we were in that area we couldn’t seem to get away from OHV even far back from the passes. The Sierras have limited OHV access so I was a bit surprised.
What is the busy vs off season in that area?
Also, are there any other lakes besides Desmet in the area? It was very busy when we stopped for a bit.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:00 PM

252 posts, read 258,781 times
It's probably not fair to say Sheridan alone but like other towns in Wyoming and other states, the growth they are experiencing was not planned for well at all. Not sure why that is because we went through major growth in Gillette and besides streets needing serious attention currently, the growth was handled fairly well. Take a look at Bozeman, Mt which has had significant growth and looking outside in Bozeman looks like it was fairly well planned. It looks nice. The only thing about Sheridan that appeals to me now is the equine activities.

The Big Horns were HORRIBLE last year with everyone trying to escape the china virus. Alot of the places we normally recreate were so packed it was miserable. The sxs, four-wheelers and dirt bikes were past acceptable screaming up and down everywhere. Even the two wheel drive racing four-wheelers that aren't typically seen in WY. I have an old garmin gps that was giving me fits so I downloaded some kind of update on it. Oddly these old trails popped up with the download so we started investigating. It was pretty cool as much was old trails I'd not realized were there. We can easily get away from the tourist. Tourist only venture back so far. July and August are typically the worst months for tourist. 2020 added a cpl more months to that but this year has been better than last. There are tons of lakes on the mountain but most are hiked to.

I hate the switch backs on the Sheridan side of the mountain especially always pulling a trailer.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:48 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
People are still calling COVID the China virus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming